Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before giving your butt a rest? I sometimes ride for 3 hours (local back roads) without getting off the bike. When I get home my butt is starting to hurt. Been thinking of getting a better seat (using stock one now), but am wondering if I just need to "toughen up" and live with it? Comments and recommendations appreciated. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I had to go with an aftermarket seat. On both Vulcans I've owned. Riding for three hours on backroads with only a little bit of soreness is pretty good! Better than most. Even with an aftermarket seat, after about 3 hours I'm ready for a bit of a break. For me the trick is to get off before it hurts. When I start to get a little 'squirmy', It's time to get up, walk around. A favorite of mine is just to pull into a gas station and just top off, go inside and get a bottle of water, something like that. Then hop on and I'm ready for another 3 hours!

You may find a better seat helps. But, again, 3 hours is a long time! You might not find THAT much improvement.

If you don't mind spending the bucks, the Russell DayLong seats, which are custom made to you, get the best reviews. Everyone I know who own them say they can ride all day, as long as they want, without any soreness.

·
Registered
294 Posts
3 hours sounds pretty good to me too! I usually find that I can go for about an hour and then it's time to stop and stretch my legs and give the butt a break. 10 minutes later I'm all set for another hour...

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
When I had the 900, I'd traveled to my hometown every other weekend 186 miles. 3 and half hours. Straight thru, summer rain storms and all (unless lightening ). With the vaquero, better seat.. I think I could go to Alaska and back.

·
Registered
814 Posts
before giving your butt a rest? I sometimes ride for 3 hours (local back roads) without getting off the bike. When I get home my butt is starting to hurt. Been thinking of getting a better seat (using stock one now), but am wondering if I just need to "toughen up" and live with it? Comments and recommendations appreciated. :)
Old, I used to look forward to filling up after around 100 miles on the 500 stock seat. 3 hrs on that thing is a long stretch and I don't think I've ever endured more than 2 without a break.

I hate to admit how much I paid, but I was high ebay bidder on a used 800 Drifter seat, similar to what Bikerbill had put on his bike. I sat on his and decided it was a real improvement. The price was really high at $285, but believe me it's worth it. It took some time to fabricate the mounting brackets and front supports to get it mounted correctly and it was a little too hard so I purchased a used Airhawk that has a cutout in the front (that us older guys really need :eek:). The result is simply fantastic.

It does sit a little higher though than the stock - maybe an inch or a little over (with the Airhawk), but I'm used to that now and would never go back to stock.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
8 hours on Corbin custom seat. Could go a bit more, but it got dark. On stock seat I could do about 20 minutes, and bailout. I am a sissy.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
I couldnt afford a new seat but had mine restuffed, "Spencers Seat Mods". Passenger and rider seats. It helps.

I'm fine between fill ups. When my girlfriend is with me she's about 60 min before seat-induced bitchiness sets in.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you can make it 3 hours on the stock seat that's on the 500 then you are pretty tough. I couldn't go 20 miles without wanting to pull over and toss that thing in a ditch. I bought an airhawk for it and made it much more manageable, Best $100 I spent on that bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
there's no points for enduring pain. Riding is supposed to be enjoyable. Who are you trying to impress?
You'll build up tolerance for the effort it takes to ride well, but if you're putting up with pain, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For me the question would be, 'How far can you push it?', and that would be about 15 feet. The brake caliper sticks.

One of these days I might get my bike running. :fingers-crossed:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
old,, its not just the seat that's causing yor discomfort.. its the bike. more likely the size of the bike and motor. Yes, have had and ridden every size bike from 350s to 2100s from Canada to Mehico. Yes on the lil ones too. it is the bike and the motor. Small, they need to spin to make power. the faster they spin the more vibration/frequency is being pounded into your butt, bones, brains.. its called fatigue..

now get you a bigger bike with a bigger motor. it rides more smoother and the motor don't work as hard. makes for a longer sit in the saddle..
those us that ride full tour riggs, we sit all day 12-16hr days, no problems. yes we stop to gas an pee n otter necessaries. butt its not for butt issues. we do this routine day after day after day often doing thousands of smiles and then when we get where we're going. we wheel it around and do it all over again. we call it accumulated Smileage.. so now you know how its done rite. poncho

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
there's no points for enduring pain. Riding is supposed to be enjoyable. Who are you trying to impress?
You'll build up tolerance for the effort it takes to ride well, but if you're putting up with pain, you're doing it wrong.

If you ride in pain - you are on a wrong bike.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you ride in pain - you are on a wrong bike.
I've read lots of reviews on the "The Ultimate Seat" they are expensive, but very very comfortable so I've thought about pulling the trigger on one and may still, but right now my 2 piece Mustang is good for 1-2hrs then it's time for the wife and I both to stretch our legs.
HalfBreed

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I use Corbin. Custom tailored at the factory by their tech. Little less than $400 installed. 100% custom. But You have to ride in for that.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
IMHO, if you aren't happy with an off-the-shelf seat, then another off-the-shelf seat probably isn't going to work. I have yet to find someone who doesn't love their Russel day-long. They are spendy, but also 100% guaranteed to be all day comfortable. Unlike the Corbins, you don't have to ride there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Roman, how is the stock seat on your new ride?
You mean that piece of junk propped up against my garage wall?? :D:D

I'm a wuss. My butt goes numb, my tailbone hurts, everything aches 30 minutes into just about any stock seat. I had to stop twice riding my wifes bike home from the dealer. The best stock seat I ever rode on was an H-D Ultra Classic and it was good for 45 minutes, then everything hurts. My buddies can ride 800 miles in a day on those.

Bought a Kawi gel seat used because I got it really cheap. That with an air hawk is a decent solution. Originally the plan was to get that to tide me over while I send the stocker off to Russel. But then I managed to get a deal on a Mustang seat, which is what I had on my 900. So that'll be here tomorrow. My Mustang on the 900 was good for a couple of hours. Chances are though, one of these days I'll send that stocker off to Russel and get a day-long saddle made.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
:) :) :) Did not last long. I do not blame you.
Some one here on the forum told me that on new Vulcans, Kawasaki fixed the seat problem. But I guess not, huh.

Anyway. We will be waiting for that video-review after you ride the beast for a while. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts