Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a Google search will give an answer of 2 to 4 years.
My battery was three years old.
So when I came out of the store to start my 3 year old battery powered bike,
of which gave me zero indication of any trouble, I expected it to start.
I got a small click sound of the relay engaging and then nothing.
No lights on the dash nothing.
Tried several times turning key on/off, hitting start button - nothing.
I was able to push start it and rode home.
After a few minutes with a meter decided it was the battery.

Trying online to find a maintenance free battery locally, was a joke. New my bike, 1995, came with a water filled one. And you'd think in a large city of 3.5 million plus I could definitely find an AGM battery for it.
So I ordered another Batterystuff.com battery, my second from them. Ordered on Wednesday morning, got it on Friday.
Installed Friday night and started right up!

So a battery can on its own terms just quit working and make you question if there is some terrible thing wrong.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Happened to a friends Jeep last week. Drove to work fine. Went out that afternoon and nothing! Not a light not a click nothing. Was so dead we could've even push start it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,853 Posts
So a battery can on its own terms just quit working and make you question if there is some terrible thing wrong.
Absolutely! Weather conditions do play a big part on how long the batteries last. Heat and cold will drain them. Luckily the pervious owner had just bought a new battery before I got the bike. But on my truck it just went dead on me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Standard mid-range lead acid battery can last 2-4 years, depending on maintenance and quality (better ones can last longer)...I just bought Varta YB12AL-A2 for about $35 and it will last for about 2-3 years with proper maintenance. And yes, batteries can suddenly die without any previous warning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts