• Need more details.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
complete work, w/o tint it takes about 2 to 3 hours (Tint add 1 hour cutting and placement and 12 hours drying. Items used a drill, 5/16" drill bit, Dremel tool w/ heavy duty cutting wheel, painters blue tape, drawing paper, and poster board (& Pencils).

Removed shield from edges toward the center bolt last. Then masked the shield area that I was not going to work on to protect from scratches, (in my case the top part as I decided to cut from the bottom up).

Measured the desired cutting amount and marked it on the shield with pencil (I placed tape at the cut area so I could mark with pencil instead of sharpee, reason is that the line is more fine and accurate). Also marked the center of shield by lines crossing at the middle. Then before cutting proceeded on making a template of the bottom part of the shield using poster board.

Using the center lines and template I market the cut line on the shield, and proceed to cut with cutting wheel. I first made a shallow cut along entire line, then deepened it slowly until I cut through.

Using the cut piece, I marked the hole positions and also did a placement check on the bike, to make sure fitment was perfect. After drilling holes I re-check fitment.

In my case I added a 5% Limo Black tint at the bottom simulating the profile of the Vaquero Short Shield. I cut a template out of poster board then cut the tint film using the template.

How the bike looks completed.

I give thanks to sansfaute for ideas on how to do this.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I did the same thing using a jigsaw with a fine-tooth blade. I think the jigsaw would be easier to keep a straight line. Did you round the edge cut with an orbital sander?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I also used dremel sander.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ordered a piece of tinted Lexan off the internet just slightly larger than I wanted and covered my factory shield with blue painters tape and used it as a template and settled on about 13" of height. Cut it with a jigsaw using a metal cutting blade. Used a soft sanding block to finish the edges. Cost me a whole 21 bucks. Love it! Still have my stock shield "just in case".

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great job!! I took mine down the road to a glass company and a guy cut mine for $25. It took him an hour. I considered doing my own but decided to let this guy do it as he does them all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts