Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall,
Recenlty been exploring wooden DUI bike jacks. way cheaper to build than 100$ harbor freight jack.

I hear that that they have to be 33 inch long , made by 3 planks of 2x8, SO 6 inches wide. and then a 30 inch, 2x4 handle. nailed&glued 2gether.

Curious, on how high we make the jack, thinking 2x9, so 9 inches hi. what is your opinion. I want it to be high enough off the floor remove tires incase, not sure if 8'inch is hi enough.....thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think these home made jacks are good for simple maintenance. I've been using one I made that is similar to your dimensions (3 - 2x8's) and it's great for cleaning the bike, changing oil, spark plugs, adjusting the belt, anything where having the bike stable and level or the rear tire off of the ground is necessary. However, it was not very useful when I needed to remove the rear wheel from the bike. I needed another 8 or so inches in order to clear the rear fender. It sure is handy and I wouldn't give mine up, but I don't see how it can completely replace a real motorcycle jack.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, why did you need another 8inch to clear the strut? i figure if the wheel is off the ground a few inches, it'll drop out, or does the strut get in the way?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was the rear fender, the way it hangs down low behind the tire that made it difficult to remove. I couldn't even get the tire out by tilting sideways with the bike only up on the wooden stand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just removed the rear fender on my Custom when I changed the rear tire & pulley...pretty easy...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good idea, remove fender, is it hard?......that way youcan lift it or just buy a motorcycle jack, that should give it more height so it can drop low?......

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are going to keep the bike or continue to have motorcycles for years, would suggest buying a lift. There is so much more accessibility to all areas of the bike with one. You will end up doing more maintenance and repairs with less hassle and more safety. See them used on Craigslist in the 50 to 60 dollar range. Then buy some hockey pucks for the frame and a couple of tie down straps for safety.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks tourer, dont' understand hockey pucks use? and where would i tie down the straps to? (to the jack?)...motorcycle jack life are pretty small, no?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts