Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow 9'ers
I'm riding an 09 900 Custom and I'd really like to change out the stock drag bars for a set of Wild1 12" Outlaw bars in black.

http://shop.wild1inc.com/WO612-CHUBBY-12-OUTLAWZ-WO612.htm

I'm 6'2" and have really long arms so the stock bars feel a bit low and close for me. I'd love to have my controls up higher and a bit farther away so I can stretch out a bit. The problem is, I can't seem to find any concrete info on whether my stock cables and wires will reach. I would imagine I'll have them leaned forward a little which would probably help but if anyone out there has done a similar mod with a bar around the same height, I'd love to here you're opinion and I'd REALLY love to see some photos. If it turns out that I have to do the cables as well, is it a big job, can I do it myself? and is it expensive? any good sites to buy the cables from? etc...

Thanks so much for the help ahead of time. always so much good info on here from all of you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey, I'm the same height and swapped my classic bar for an 8 inch mini-ape from builtwell. Def. An improvement over stock and the cables are fine. I have the bars pushed forward and the bike is easier to control and more comfortable.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
10" is safe, you can do 12" as long as you do some rerouting of the cables.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know what the height translates to for apes, but for reference, I'm using stock cables with 5 inch risers. I had to reroute the cables behind the triple, and undo the brake line from its grommet beside the signal light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I weight 10" on mine with no issues. Any further though and it would have been too tight. I'm sure someone has gone 12" and re routed cables but frankly at 12" i think i would have wanted to buy new ones.

Be especially mindful on the bar specs on the measurement for the area where the grips/controls go. Measure the grips and controls and add a good 2-3 inches. Mine are a tad short and the lever mounts aren't 100% flush against hte grips so now the levers are at a slightly odd angle compared to the grips as they didn't have enough room to go flush completely.

These were the ones i did:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-849

They aren't knurled so i pinned them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I decide to go the full 12" it looks like I should probably get the new cables. I would imagine its a pretty big job putting those all in..... does anyone know how expensive it'll be, ballpark? just for the parts...

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can also install risers. I put 2 1/2" risers
on mine. They look great and are very
solid. Stock bars and cables; minimum$$.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So if I decide to go the full 12" it looks like I should probably get the new cables. I would imagine its a pretty big job putting those all in..... does anyone know how expensive it'll be, ballpark? just for the parts...
Motion Pro makes the best cables I have used.
They will make any cable any length you need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts