Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How-dee folks.

Okay so here's my question: I've got a 900 and I'm thinking of getting a small trailer, like a piggybacker, to increase my practical 'range' to do some longer trips.

Now, if anyone would like to tell me I should just get a bigger bike. Rather than post, just write me a check. :D

So anywho, how heavy would you pull (loaded down and everything) and still be safe and not worry about damaging the bike? I've found a few small trailers here and there that are a bit heavier, but also a bit cheaper than something like a piggybacker. What got me thinking was a guy I ran into who modified a cheap utility trailer with a more 'highway friendly' suspension and tire combination and put a top on it and pulls it behind his goldwing. Of course, the towing capacity of a GL1500 is a wee bit more than a 900 :p

Thoughts?

-John

·
Registered
372 Posts
well, how big are you?

I know the bike isn't supposed to have more than 400lbs on it, something like that according to the manual. So I probably would think that you shouldn't put more than 200-300 on a trailer, if that much, Also think of the extra drag a trailer would add to the bike as well. You are going to want very small and light weight. Also I wouldn't be going 2 up with it when the trailer is on.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I wouldn't be going 2 up with it when the trailer is on.
Well that may shoot the idea down right there then. I'm about 250, but losing (down from 290 so far..) The fiancee is barely 110 pounds, but anywhere I'd be going far enough I'd want to pull a trailer, I'd have her on with me. Any other suggestions for a practical way to be able to carry a couple days worth of clothes or something? Ideally I wanted to carry some camping gear, we were thinking about taking a long ride out west or something after the wedding, throw some camping gear in a trailer and just camp along the way. But, that sounds like that's not going to be an option. Any other ideas? (For carrying camping gear and clothes that is, I've heard enough of y'alls opinions around here to know I don't want to know your honeymoon ideas. LOL)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Whiting, a forum member pulls a trailer. You might look him up. I know for a fact he rode all over the U.S. from Canada last summer, since some members met up near Kerville, TX. I also believe he has done 2 up trips with a significant other.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've been toying with the trailer idea also, except I've got a 1500 so a little better off than you in the engine department. One of the things I have considered is that I don't think I would be carrying a lot more than I do now weight-wise, and the benefit of the trailer is that the load would not be on the bike's suspension if it was in the trailer (it is now in saddlebags, luggage-rack bag, and a couple of small bags strapped onto the saddlebags). Of course the weight of the trailer is an issue, but once you get it moving I doubt you would feel it much except when stopping or trying to accelerate hard .... you would just have to get used to the extra distances. Also, if you were pulling the trailer and your wife was with you, the bike might be a little more stable and less sensitive to the trailer's movements. Just some things I have been thinking about, weighing the pros & cons.

I have ridden solo with a tent and sleeping bag and had enough room with saddlebags and sissy bar bag, but with two-up touring I don't know how I would add two sleeping bags and a tent to our load, we motel it which has a lot of benefits if the budget allows.

One other thought - almost everyone I've talked to who pulls a trailer would do it again. Good Luck !

·
Banned
593 Posts
Any other ideas? (For carrying camping gear and clothes that is, I've heard enough of y'alls opinions around here to know I don't want to know your honeymoon ideas. LOL)
I got excited for a second - finally something I know something about! :)

Hehehe

No, seriously - have you considered a really nice-sized sissy bar bag? I use the Saddlemen Deluxe bag, and it's big, secure, and I can pack for days. Between it and my moderately sized saddlebags, I can pack for several days - clothes, liquor, beer, a big-ass laptop, water, food, pistol case, and still ride 2-up. It's pretty awesome. You can even strap a backpack onto it and carry even more crap.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got excited for a second - finally something I know something about! :)

Hehehe

No, seriously - have you considered a really nice-sized sissy bar bag? I use the Saddlemen Deluxe bag, and it's big, secure, and I can pack for days. Between it and my moderately sized saddlebags, I can pack for several days - clothes, liquor, beer, a big-ass laptop, water, food, pistol case, and still ride 2-up. It's pretty awesome. You can even strap a backpack onto it and carry even more crap.
ESPECIALLY you brother, LOL

Hmm, not a bad idea. I saw the saddlemen deluxe but it looked small. But, I guess not huh. That sounds like a good idea...

·
Banned
593 Posts
ESPECIALLY you brother, LOL

Hmm, not a bad idea. I saw the saddlemen deluxe but it looked small. But, I guess not huh. That sounds like a good idea...
LOL! I'll see if I can dig some pics out.

It's actually a pretty big bag. And, I like the fact that you can get into all of the compartments without removing it from the bike. I actually found mine on Ebay for a steal - barely used, and about $110.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL! I'll see if I can dig some pics out.

It's actually a pretty big bag. And, I like the fact that you can get into all of the compartments without removing it from the bike. I actually found mine on Ebay for a steal - barely used, and about $110.
Definitely cheaper than a trailer. Sounds like it could be a decent setup. Fit a pup tent or another small tent, handful of camping supplies and food, clothes for a few days, I think we'd be set. Looking forward to pics of the inside of that bag. Is it fairly secure / easy to lock? As a side effect, it might also be a nice way for me to secure both of our riding gear when we're out and about. When it's cooler out and we ride, we have our normal gear (ff helmets, jacket, overpants, gloves) plus liners and extra sweatshirts, it can get a little crammed in those saddlebags! Sometimes I can't close them all the way and I'm afraid to let the bike and gear out of my sight, so it might also be neat to lock up the gear.

·
Banned
593 Posts

Here's the bag mounted on the Ol' Lady's Classic. As you can see, she was packed for about 5 days (which means 3 weeks in comfort for the fellas). Backpack strapped toothed back, spare helmet, etc, etc. It's the best I could do for now from the pictures on my phone. LOL

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lookin' good! So for two up, that would fit on a luggage rack, right? Yeah that definitely looks bigger than the pics I've seen on JPCyces, et al.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I cant beleave whitings57 hasen't chimed in yet.. I popped about a year ago for the Piggybacker trailer, hitch, & wiring. I was asking the same questions & I got alot of great information from whitings57, and bigmo. The two trailers I was looking at were the Piggybacker and the cargo trailer from Harbor Freight but after looking at the things you need to do to the Harbor Freight trailer I got a chance on a deal on the Piggybacker and jumped and have been very happy. as far as weight in the trailer I run about 200# loaded and most of the riding I do with the trailer is 2 up (add 400#) Here are the thing that I learned the quickest most are common sence 1) increase your stopping distance extra weight means more mass to stop 2) im not going to break any speed records. but thats the nature of the 900 I can pull 70 if I need to but most of the time with the trailer its below 65 3) how the trailer is loaded makes a big difference no more than about 20% tongue weight and definatly not with negative tongue weight. 4) Slow down on the corners the trailer will want to push you but we have been happy with the trailer and the bike

Attachments

·
Banned
593 Posts
Lookin' good! So for two up, that would fit on a luggage rack, right? Yeah that definitely looks bigger than the pics I've seen on JPCyces, et al.
Definitely fits on the luggage rack for 2-up riding. When I get home tomorrow, I'll take some more detailed interior pics for you, too. I can tell you that it straps on very securely.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I cant believe whitings57 hasen't chimed in yet..
Yeah, I'm here, I'm just dying with a pinched sciatica nerve, just got it taken care of today.

Trailer .... weight 150 lbs, gear 150 lbs, Me 180 lbs, her 120 lbs, bike 640 lbs, thats around 1260 lbs rolling down the road ... and at touring speed of 65 to 68 with a high of 80 mph, the "9" can do it easy from 0 above to 13,000 ft above in temps up to 117 F

We don't camp, the first 3 things that get packed is my pillow, cooler and coffee maker.

level 1...

level 2 ...

my bag ...

Braking distances increase, tire wear is heavier, slightly lower fuel mileage, it corners at posted speeds, maybe 10 mph faster, but if you come in to hot it can and will push you around. The secret is in the balanced loading with no more than 10% tongue weight. So far i have 12,000 miles on it, original tires and the bearings are greased every 2500 miles.

Like an AMX card, don't leave home with out it.

No offense Lloyd, but i would feel safer pulling my trailer than riding the bike with the high mounted pack weight up in the air. I am not a fan of strapped on gear and regularly see riders trying to untangle bungee cords from around their rear wheels.

·
Banned
593 Posts
No offense Lloyd, but i would feel safer pulling my trailer than riding the bike with the high mounted pack weight up in the air. I am not a fan of strapped on gear and regularly see riders trying to untangle bungee cords from around their rear wheels.

No offense taken at all, man! I'm not a fan of bungee cords myself, and don't have them anywhere near my bike! You have a nice set-up, and I approve of it!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
wow, I didn't expect anyone to be pulling that much weight behind their 9s
You must be single .... :D

By the way, I completely understand about the coffee pot!
You always need one in the morning after getting into the cooler.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Been pulling a Bunkhouse camper trailer (+/- 500 lb. loaded) with my GL1800 for several years, now and don't have any problems with it, save for slightly reduced gas mileage. IMO, the biggest consideration is the total weight of the trailer with respect to the weight of the motorcycle. Don't want the tail wagging the dog, as they say. The 900 may have enough power to pull the trailer, but are the brakes and suspension safely up to the task?

Now, having said that, I had an '09 1700 Nomad that turned out to be a terrible platform for pulling the trailer. I never could keep it stable behind the bike. It didn't matter how I arranged the load for tongue weight. It was always moving side to side to one degree or another. The bike itself seemed to handle the weight of the trailer OK, otherwise except that it lacked power. I think the gearing was all wrong for that. It was fine, power wise without the trailer, but with it, it was a dog. Also had a tendency to attempt tank slappers when coming to a stop downhill!! After the first ride with the camper hooked up, I got rid of the bike and went back to the GL1800 Gold Wing. No regrets there.

I think the 900 will handle a small, light cargo trailer OK. Just read what others, like Whiting57 say about their experiences towing a trailer. Experience along with some knowledge will tell you the best story. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You must be single .... :D

You always need one in the morning after getting into the cooler.
lol, pretty much right now... My ex was good though, she didn't take a lot with her on trips, just the lingerie and some clothes, only about 2 times what I would take with me. That's better than most.... lol.

I never had problems with her, other than her house was a disaster zone and yeah I couldn't deal with that.... I'm not the cleanest but damn... bombs had less mess.

I'm just surprised you guys are putting 700+ pounds on and behind your bikes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts