Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hard do you guys ride. it seems like ever since i learned that our 9's like to rev high, ive been riding her harder. well, as hard as conditions will allow me to. i have no plans on any pulleys to lower the rpms. its just seems to me that our 9's love to be riden hard. what are your thoughts or experiences

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I dunno, I guess every once in a while I spin that motor up to see how she'll do. But I'm not that into riding hard like that. I'm kind of a 'grandpa' rider, I just enjoy sitting back and enjoying a comfortable ride. I have a lot more fun laying into corners and pulling out of them with V-Twin torque (the good corners you never go very fast anyway!) than I do opening it up with straight line speed.

I always thought if I had the need for speed, I'd just buy an old beat-up sportbike for a grand or so off of Craigslist. I find them all the time. An old 600cc Kawasaki or something, some teenage kid will buy it as his first bike, wreck it, then sell it on Craigslist for $1000. Plenty of them still run and ride fine, just cosmetic. But that way I could get a little speed and serious cornering done, and go back to my cruise for the rest. But; I really never have been that in to going fast. I rode my buddies ZX-10 and I never really opened it up, I rode it like my cruiser.

But that's me. If you're not afraid to let the motor spin, that 9 will really surprise you. Alot of folks who complain about it's performance, I think, are shifting around 4 or 5k RPM's like it's some big pushrod twin. That thing redlines near 80000 RPM's, let it get there! I do try to, once every month or so, get up to second gear and then peg it at the rev limiter, just to get a 'feel' for what the rev limiter sounds like, so that when I do open it up I shift right before it starts to bounce; where that motor likes to be.

For the record, the one time I ever 'raced' I went stoplight to stoplight with a friend on his 88" Harley Road King. I dunno how far it was, I hit 65mph before I hit the brakes. I was ahead of him until I braked, I suppose he technically 'won' since he braked later and harder, but we were just having fun. Point is, that 900cc V-Twin, when allowed to reach the top of it's powerband, beat a 1500cc Harley twin. Personally, I'm not a fan of racing bikes on the street and stuff. And again, that's not what I bought the bike for. BUT, I mean, everyones gotta open it up once right? :p

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
But that's me. If you're not afraid to let the motor spin, that 9 will really surprise you. Alot of folks who complain about it's performance, I think, are shifting around 4 or 5k RPM's like it's some big pushrod twin. That thing redlines near 80000 RPM's, let it get there! I do try to, once every month or so, get up to second gear and then peg it at the rev limiter, just to get a 'feel' for what the rev limiter sounds like, so that when I do open it up I shift right before it starts to bounce; where that motor likes to be.
Yeah. I have not ridden the 9s (but I have the 1600 mean streak) like that but I have heard other ride them hard. That engine will hit RPMs that my V2K would self destruct at. I believe it red lines around 5k.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
By the way, that was a typo. The redline is around 8,000, not 80,000. Boy, 80k RPM's would be a sight on a 900cc V-Twin.

I have a small, .46 size R/C airplane engine in some of my smaller planes that will spin close to 20k RPM's,

This isn't me, but it's the same motor;

Those things sound awesome at high RPM's! (Better in person, sounds like a weed eater in the video)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
By the way, that was a typo. The redline is around 8,000, not 80,000. Boy, 80k RPM's would be a sight on a 900cc V-Twin.

I have a small, .46 size R/C airplane engine in some of my smaller planes that will spin close to 20k RPM's,

This isn't me, but it's the same motor;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJBCR5BfF8

Those things sound awesome at high RPM's! (Better in person, sounds like a weed eater in the video)
I use to fly rc , my favorite was the gentle lady glider

·
Registered
183 Posts
How hard I ride depends on my mood at the moment. I spend a lot of time out puttering down a country road taking in the sights and never going over 55 or so and getting 50+ mpg. On the other hand, I recently started riding again after a 25 year hiatus. I raced in my early days and only knew stopped and wfo back then so I still have to let her out on occasion from a standing start to the limit at about 35 mpg. I have no trouble knowing how hard I've been pushing by simply checking mileage. Generally I ride somewhere in between the two extremes, but I'm not afraid to let her eat. You have to love the sound when wide open and pulling hard from around 5500rpm on up. ;)

And on the subject of R/C, the young man in the vid did more damage to that little motor during his demonstration than I've done in many hours of flying.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Other than the occasional fast acceleration up on the freeway, or around slower traffic, I am cruising. Love the way this bike rides down the highway or byways. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like to run speed limit, lean back, put up the feet enjoy ride and the view. I don't have to get anywhere in a hurry. I just have to get there. Every time one of those big duallys go by me I am reminded of the price of gas. Go get'm! Considering where I live and the roads I have at my disposal I feel very lucky to have a motorcycle.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
How hard I ride depends on my mood at the moment. I spend a lot of time out puttering down a country road taking in the sights and never going over 55 or so and getting 50+ mpg. On the other hand, I recently started riding again after a 25 year hiatus. I raced in my early days and only knew stopped and wfo back then so I still have to let her out on occasion from a standing start to the limit at about 35 mpg. I have no trouble knowing how hard I've been pushing by simply checking mileage. Generally I ride somewhere in between the two extremes, but I'm not afraid to let her eat. You have to love the sound when wide open and pulling hard from around 5500rpm on up. ;)

And on the subject of R/C, the young man in the vid did more damage to that little motor during his demonstration than I've done in many hours of flying.
Yeah, the purpose of the video was the sound. He sure did like to run that thing WOT lean though, which on a two stroke glow motor is bad bad ju-ju.

I've got a nice remote needle on mine. I was cringing with how close his fingers got to that 15k RPM prop. Remote needles are really nice for making adjustments a safe distance from the prop, especially when you've got fat and clumsy fingers like me. Either way, he left it at top speed, which is fine for a bench, but no good for flying. I always set mine 3 to 4 clicks rich on the bench, so that 2 or 3 thousand feet above the ground it's not running super lean and destroying bearings and overheating the motor!

I told a guy that one time, who had set his a click LEAN in fact. He didn't believe me. He flew for about 6 minutes, and his motor siezed up right there in mid air! (not just dead stick from running too lean, the thing was hard to turn and made some awful noises just rotating the prop on the ground, naturally- wouldn't start. Glow plug was burned up too)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
90% of the time im riding within the limits of the law. but the other 10% is really fun. i dont need my bike to go 150mph, but it is enjoyable letting her open up. i have yet to hit the rev limiter so im not pushing that hard. i just love feeling the low end torque take hold. My 9 feels like a whole new bike after i put on a set of biltwells tracker bars. really pushes me back in my seat when i give the throttle a nice twist.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
90% of the time im riding within the limits of the law. but the other 10% is really fun. i dont need my bike to go 150mph, but it is enjoyable letting her open up. i have yet to hit the rev limiter so im not pushing that hard. i just love feeling the low end torque take hold. My 9 feels like a whole new bike after i put on a set of biltwells tracker bars. really pushes me back in my seat when i give the throttle a nice twist.
You should hit the rev limiter at least once. You might be surprised, like most of us, at just how high it is. The first time I did it I couldn't believe how it just kept getting faster and faster and faster until it finally bumped. When you're used to hearing everyone ELSES V-Twin, and not having a tach, you seriously under-estimate how much of your powerband you're actually using. I would estimate shifting at around 3500-4000 myself, about half of the potential redline. If I really open it up, 6000 sounds like it's screaming, but it just keeps on climbing to 8000...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to run speed limit, lean back, put up the feet enjoy ride and the view. I don't have to get anywhere in a hurry. I just have to get there. Every time one of those big duallys go by me I am reminded of the price of gas. Go get'm! Considering where I live and the roads I have at my disposal I feel very lucky to have a motorcycle.
I put some miles on in the valley last week but I was hoping it would start warming up on the rim. Looks like it'll be another week at least. We do have some nice rides here.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing that is most preventing me from pushing her that hard are riding conditions. ive been wanting to go out on a sat. or early sun morning and hitting the limiter. i commute to work everyday on my bike but conditions keep me within the speedlimit. i got my 12'vn900 classic se in oct. brand spanking new and its been a blast putting just over 7100mi in the past 5 months. ive learned so much about the bike from everyone here. Really feels good to be a part of the vn900 family. i couldnt ever imagine getting rid of my bike. its a life long affair that my wife is just gonna have to live with.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gotta say I'm not a fan of hitting the rev limiter. In my racing days I saw a lot of engines bite the dust from running into electronic limits or worse yet electronic failures. Granted we were running them on the ragged edge all the time but even at these lower rpms, lean mixtures and retarded timing aren't good on mechanical parts. To hit the limiter sort of accidentally is one thing but don't count on it to save your motor every time. If you're going to run hi revs regularly, use a good tach to get you used to the right sound. Eventually your seat will get used to the feel so you don't need the tach but until you know where that limit really is you're taking a bit of a chance.

Now I'm not trying to rain on anybodies parade with the above comments. It's just an observation of an old engine builder and racer. ;)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't treat mine like a sportbike but from what I can gather on this site, I might run the RPM up a little more than the average bear. For just bumping along some country road I'll shift out but in the twisties or around town I like to stay at least a gear lower than I normally would while cruising.

It's pretty normal for me to hop on the interstate and go 75mph until it's time to stop for gas, so that's roughly 4200 RPM (58% of max RPM) for 2.5 hours. Then do it again. And sometimes again.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Gotta say I'm not a fan of hitting the rev limiter. In my racing days I saw a lot of engines bite the dust from running into electronic limits or worse yet electronic failures. Granted we were running them on the ragged edge all the time but even at these lower rpms, lean mixtures and retarded timing aren't good on mechanical parts. To hit the limiter sort of accidentally is one thing but don't count on it to save your motor every time. If you're going to run hi revs regularly, use a good tach to get you used to the right sound. Eventually your seat will get used to the feel so you don't need the tach but until you know where that limit really is you're taking a bit of a chance.

Now I'm not trying to rain on anybodies parade with the above comments. It's just an observation of an old engine builder and racer. ;)
I agree, and I don't recommend staying there. But I think everyone should bump it at least once, just to get a feel for what it sounds like. Without a tach, a lot of folks don't realize just how fast 7500-8000RPM's is on a V-Twin.

It's easy enough to do. You won't break the speed limit bumping the limiter once in first or second gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 9 can take it

I used to baby the 9 when it was new, but I don't any more, I purposely don't set out to ride it hard, that's not my riding style. There are times when the revs get up, it's never been a problem. I'm cautious with oil checking and I use Rotella synthetic oil.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just took a 370 km road trip last Thursday on mountain roads with few buddies. They went ahead & left me behind in a gas station so I had to push my 9 hard to catch up with them. I was doin 160 & the bike was willing to do more but the wind was almost throwing me off the bike so at times I slowed down to 140-120 to relax my arms then push it again to 160. The sound it made with the freedoms was deafening & even with my headset with music playing, I still ended up with some headache.
P.S no windshield

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually my top is 172km/h, the vn900 doesn´t go beyond this limit....(on stock config). this was an experiment to see if the change of the stock air filter for a k&n will increase something.... so i gained 7 km/h more..... i made this last thursday at night running on top for some like 20 mins..... i feel my bike better on top speed, more "relaxed" than before....

Normally i ride between 50 - 80 mph with my group, but some times "the hearth pumps faster" so my hand pulls the throttle....it´s just a brain order...hehehehe

·
Registered
240 Posts
As an old muffler, one owner shop, man once told me; "you don't want duel exhaust on that 86 lincoln town car. She was made to ride slow and appreciate it". I suppose the same is true in a sense of a cruiser. If you don't like how she cruises you might have the wrong bike. Slow and easy for me here ever since that day long ago...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts