Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 blackedout 900 custom.I am pretty sure it could outrun anyone elses here, but i really dont know what a 1/4 mile or top speed of my bike would be.I figure about a 9 second 1/4 and 140 mph top speed? Or how about a 14 second 1/4 and 100 mph top speed? We havent had any interesting threads here lately so just trying to get one going.perhaps failing miserably, but we need something new to read.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Last time I read anything the 900 was a 14 second / 90 mph (in a qtr mile) bike in the hands of a capable racer.

The biggest issue with performance on the 900 is the top end speeds, it just doesn't have it. Down low it'll pull, and they ARE peppy bikes, don't let anyone tell you different. BUT, they just aren't going to win any awards for speed. There's only so much you can push out of a 900cc motor.

That said, there aren't a lot of stock 4-door sedans or minivans that can do 14 seconds on the quarter! So it's all the fun I need! :p

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If you change the pulleys, you can increase the top end. But, not that I would ever test it..... I think I hit 90 once.... ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt want speed as a reason for buying my bike.And I have had mine up to an indicated 100 mph several times.I traded in a valkyrie for this bike.now there was speed.I like to cruise/tour at 70-75 and my custom is perfect for that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
140mph might be stretching things a bit. I've hit 105 (indicated) on mine, but that's completely stock so I was probably only doing 95. You're right, you can change the final drive ratio with pulleys and tires, but as you increase the theoretical top end, you reduce the power delivered to the road and you still hit the power vs. wind resistance brick wall; probably at a lower speed. If you need to demonstrate this to yourself, see how fast you can go in 4th gear. Then try again but shift into 5th around 60 mph. You won't be able to hit your 4th gear top speed because you run out of torque earlier. That said, I'd love to try a 1/4 and see what I can do, but I'm not going to push my bike that hard. I like it too much to abuse it that way. When you get a chance to try it, let us know how you do!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Valk

I didnt want speed as a reason for buying my bike.And I have had mine up to an indicated 100 mph several times.I traded in a valkyrie for this bike.now there was speed.I like to cruise/tour at 70-75 and my custom is perfect for that.
I love Valks.
Was it too heavy for you ?

JJ

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
its a cruiser......made for cruise.
if you want speed.....you bought the wrong bike....
thats all i can say. :)
My 900 isn't the fastest bike I've had, and certainly not the slowest! I guess you could say it's half-fast; much like its owner.:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would say vn900 is the right bike for the right speed. I was doing maybe 85 to 90.
I think anything after 90mph is pushing it and dont feel the bike is running smooth.
Los Angeles freeway speed limit only go 65MPH. no need to go 90, lol

i had ninja 250 12 years ago only go 75 to almost 80mph, and i have honda VFR 750 about 8 years ago and that thing go on till 150mph, but than i got pulled over and the bike got impounded for like 5 days because it was thanksgiving long weekend.
also suzuki SV650SF, that thing is just about maybe over 100mph, Honda Shadow RS750, only go maybe 75 to 90 before it feels like about to blow up.

900 is a perfect bike for mid weight, and it wont go too fast so you wont get ticket.
it wont go too slow on freeway that people passing you all the time.
I weight about 130 and pretty much the bike can go as fast as it could since im so light.

I got my front pulley swaped out for Baron's. and maybe plan to swap out the rear also from baron's since now they make it available. plus a 240 tire later should help top end speed a lot more with all three element together. But i'm now happy with just the front pulley.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I find after a good washing, everything runs faster. No dirt to slow it down.

That said, I sometimes hit between 95-100mph but I don't hang out there for long. I believe the 900's need a good blowing out every now and then.

I'm impressed with the power but speed is not what I'm after. I'm in it for cruising. A lady in a hurry got behind me yesterday and we both got stopped at the red light. I was in the turn lane and looked over and she was clapping.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My last bike did 103 at the rev limiter in first gear. I bought this one to chill and cruise. One thing I have learned over the years is that any form of motorcycle can put a smile on your face. I've been to 6 dif race tracks and that can make anyone smile. But there is something about the feeling you get being on a cruiser and not being in a hurry that makes me smile too

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I see this type of thread a lot on here where someone wants to make the 900 go faster, quicker, etc. You will see responses about front and/or read pulley swaps, different tires, even a turbo kit. However, the 900 is a nice cruiser. Like others have stated, if you want to go-fast you need to get a different bike like the Ninja. If you want to break down all of the time get a Harley (ooooh did I say that out loud??) That being said I take trips on my 900 Custom 400 to 900 miles or so with people riding everything from Goldwings to Harley's to trikes and have no problems keeping up (or passing them).
My 2 cents worth. Oh, in Canada they will have to use a nickel since the penny is history.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2011 blackedout 900 custom.I am pretty sure it could outrun anyone elses here, but i really dont know what a 1/4 mile or top speed of my bike would be.I figure about a 9 second 1/4 and 140 mph top speed? Or how about a 14 second 1/4 and 100 mph top speed? We havent had any interesting threads here lately so just trying to get one going.perhaps failing miserably, but we need something new to read.
Ive got a scary black 900c... the fastest I have seen on the guage was 117-118 bouncing on the rev limiter.

Thats with stock tires and pullys. Only thing I have done is pipes,intake,chip

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.