·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tenminimum

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I could do that fast if I pulled the thrust levers back to about 85% N1.

Oh.... you mean on a motorcycle?
Nevermind.:eek:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wanna go about 90. That's all you need to pass a semi on the slab. After that it's just braggin rights.

...course, I'd be a lot happier if I could get there in about 12 seconds...

·
Registered
125 Posts
sheesh, around here people get mad at you for going less then 60, on the highways. On the freeways, AKA the autobahns, station wagons fly by you if you go anything less than 80. I can say I know for a fact that my 800 tops out at 110.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can say I know for a fact that my 800 tops out at 110.
Seriously? o_O I've hit indicated 90 (probably really 85) on my 500 in 4th gear (out of 6), while passing people... >_> I had it to 110 on the flats once, just to see what it could do, and still had a fair bit of throttle left, but got scared and backed off... I mean, I don't generally cruise any higher than indicated 70 around here, but just sayin'...... I'd think an 800 would outrun a 500. What's up with that? They weigh about the same, right?

Don't get me wrong or take offense; I'm not hating on your bike or anything, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lf,, 90 mph huh? lets see.. 5280 feet per mile.. 1.466 feet per mph per sec.. 90mph, 12sec.. something like 1584 feet.. or 528 yards.. or 5 foot ball fields.. in 12 seconds.. thats 2.4 seconds per field.. I'd say you was movin along perty good.

so what is so dang burn 'portant 5 city bloks away that you got to die to be there in such a hurry?

lets see your buddy at 318 is doing 466 ft/sec.. he doin one n half football fields ever second.

sheesh. life is a blurr for me after 'bout 70.
The thrill for me is the acceleration. Being able to wind out triple digits isn't nearly as important. And it sure ain't comfortable on a bike that's not built for it. Hell, 90's not that comfortable on 9. I just like to zip up the speed limit way faster than other folks. As long as you're not trailing white smoke when you do, cops can't bust you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
500 120 mph?

I wanna go about 90. That's all you need to pass a semi on the slab. After that it's just braggin rights.

...course, I'd be a lot happier if I could get there in about 12 seconds...
Two days ago I had my 500 doing 120mph, no just kidding. Serously I had it going a little over, Revised 90mph and to me that was tooo fast. I am not into speed like I was when I was younger. Now, I just like to watch the world go by from the seat of my bike with the wind in my hair, I don't need to have the wind blow off what hair I have left on my head:)

After we stop wife asked what that buzzing noise? I replied the rear wheel was about to fall off!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Faster and faster you go until the fear of death overwhelms the thrill of speed ........

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
here in south Texas, there are many many long "flat stretches" where you can see for miles ahead (no traffic, no cops).

I've had my v2k into the 120's many many times. Last year, I took it to 145 before I backed down (at around 140, both front mirrors started to "move" inward from the wind).

At 145, I still had throttle left...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't have the guts to do it, but has anyone of you ever topped out a 1500 classic? Got mine up to 90 and backed off.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
here in south Texas, there are many many long "flat stretches" where you can see for miles ahead (no traffic, no cops).

I've had my v2k into the 120's many many times. Last year, I took it to 145 before I backed down (at around 140, both front mirrors started to "move" inward from the wind).

At 145, I still had throttle left...
Considering ~10% speedo error, 145 indicated should put you right at redline in 5th, assuming stock tire size and stock gearing.

·
4,906 Posts
Considering ~10% speedo error, 145 indicated should put you right at redline in 5th, assuming stock tire size and stock gearing.
I don't really know what my bike is like at "stock". The only time I rode it like "that", was when I test drove it at the dealer.

I had them put on the cobra speedsters pipes, thunder air intake and power commander before I even drove it a second time.

I don't know how much faster it would have gone, but I do know, that the acceleration did not "noticeably" decrease. It may have, but it sure didn't seem that way.

I do know, I still had throttle left when I backed off.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
That's all fine, but point was nothing more than saying if the driveline ratio is still stock and the redline/rev limiter is still stock, you may get there faster but you're not going to go any faster top speed (unless a stock VN2K can't pull redline/rev limiter in 5th). Doesn't matter how much throttle travel was left at that point.

·
4,906 Posts
That's all fine, but point was nothing more than saying if the driveline ratio is still stock and the redline/rev limiter is still stock, you may get there faster but you're not going to go any faster top speed (unless a stock VN2K can't pull redline/rev limiter in 5th). Doesn't matter how much throttle travel was left at that point.
ah, i see what your saying. dont' know.. i don't know of anybody who has tested it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How fast do you want to go?

The answer to the question is, zoom ZOOM ZO............................................Om!!!:eek: Wow thats fast:cool:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got my 900 up to 65ish on the highway around here and that was plenty fast for me. Granted I don't have a windshield (yet) and had to really lean forward for fear of being blown off the bike. I also had my visor flip up from the wind, I wear a 3/4 helmet, and it felt kinda scary. I don't know how you people with shorties or even no helmets can do it.

On another note, in my younger days I was driving my 05 Jetta on the highway, in a flat straight area, and got her up to 220km/h. I could actually see the fuel needle moving and decided to slow back down to the 120km/h speed limit.

Now that I'm married and have a kid, I'm more concerned with getting there safely and enjoying the drive/ride and find myself usually going the speed limit or no more than 15mph over.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't have the guts to do it, but has anyone of you ever topped out a 1500 classic? Got mine up to 90 and backed off.
I've topped out my '97 numerous times. First series of runs were when I was taking out the soft from the front forks. In stock condition they would bottom out on bump and then top out on rebound and dance all over the road from 90+mph and worse they would wallow out serious bad in the corners or sweepers in the 90mph bracket. I hated the wallowing as it is most uncontrollable and dangerous.
So, when I got the forks acceptable, I noticed the bike would top out in the 110mph mark depending on weather, warm day was faster than a cool damp day. So, this started the carb and engine mods. I had the pipes changed, intake modified, and at POG change I had webcam installed with Arias 10-1's (one cyl did not like its piston & PINGED). With all that I got up to 116mph or so. I redid coils and installed Dyna 2000 and changed to different carb (Edelbrock quicksilver) and top speed got to 118mph, But what was great is that it was now getting there much quicker.
Now with new top end, and it was really in need, I don't have a clue, too new to try it out but I most surly will !
I don't expect much more top end but I do know it will get to that point much quicker. The problem is that while I can get in the high 40mpg's just lazy cruising, that the mileage drops way down into the low 20's when I am doing trials at WOT. There were days I barely got 80 miles range on a full tank when I was out and really testing the grip of the asphalt.
I do find that I am anxious to find out tho how it does with the all new top.
With nowhere to go, and a late start, I don't want to be late when I get there !

1 - 20 of 36 Posts