Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new bike to me and being fuel injected I'd have though it would start first push off the button when cold. It usually needs a couple of goes for it to fire up & then it will be fine. I do wait for the injector indicator light to turn off before trying to start. Do the injectors need a bit of a jolt to get going & is this normal for the vulcan? My wife's v-star has a carby & will start at first pop when cold with the choke on. I use premium fuel (98 ron).

·
Registered
498 Posts
mine fires right up. it was low 30's here this morn I had to wipe the frost off the seat and mirrors when I left for work. When I first got it it started hard but the P.O. had made a air filter out of car filter material and packed it tight as a deck of cards, drilled holes all over the pipes and had the air by-pass screws tightened right down.

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is a new bike to me and being fuel injected I'd have though it would start first push off the button when cold. It usually needs a couple of goes for it to fire up & then it will be fine. I do wait for the injector indicator light to turn off before trying to start. Do the injectors need a bit of a jolt to get going & is this normal for the vulcan? My wife's v-star has a carby & will start at first pop when cold with the choke on. I use premium fuel (98 ron).
My 900 starts on the second revolution of the engine. You are correct it should start quickly.
We need more info.
Does the starter motor turn over very fast, or slow.
Do you have a volt meter or can you get one, check the voltage on the battery before and after starting. Low voltage will prevent the injectors from firing properly.
Is the bike used, could there be a fuel module, what mods are there.

Just a little more info if you please ;)

Oh and pic's are need for proof. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very easily; it always starts on the first try.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine always starts right up, regardless of temp. So much better than my old carburated. I don't miss those days at all!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just press the button, and mine's running. But I haven't tried it in really cold weather, because I don't ride below freezing any more. A little Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam can't hurt, and may do some good.

Grandpa

·
Registered
292 Posts
Coldest mornings (20F), chugga-chugga-fire; warm mornings or restarts, touch and she fires right over. I always let the pump prime the injector system and the fast idle go through its motions before I hit the starter.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Unlike most folks, my 9' takes a few turns before it fires up. Then, it takes a few seconds to get to humming good. But once it is, it runs like a champ. It used to fire right up untill I installed a fuel processor, pipes and air cleaner. If I took it all off, I think it would most likely fire right up like everyone else.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Mine fires right up.

Might I make a suggestion (and hopefully not open a can of worms). You'd do fine to stick with 89RON and save some money. Octane is an additive put in fuel to REDUCE it's potency so that higher compression engines, or engines with forced induction, can burn the fuel without it pinging (detonating on pressure alone BEFORE the spark). Run the lowest octane fuel you can without pinging and you'll actually get the best performance, save some money, etc. You might even find it starts easier, who knows. Unless there are other additives put in the premium grades by your particular fuel brand, higher octane does neither increase performance, nor burn cleaner or clean the engine. It's just gas, but with extra stuff in it to keep it from burning before it's supposed to. (Which can also make it not fire or not burn completely when it is supposed to if you are using a higher octane than your engine is designed and configured to use)

Try cycling the key twice before starting. That'll give you a double 'shot' of the fuel pump, making sure your fuel system is well primed (the injectors are just on/off valves, they need fuel behind them to work, that's why FI systems have a fuel pump)

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I think my bike will set more than a week with out running. I put the battery tender on it. I always let the fuel pump run till it quits before pushing the start button. Regardless of weather it immediately fires up. This is the third year for it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
If I think my bike will set more than a week with out running. I put the battery tender on it. I always let the fuel pump run till it quits before pushing the start button. Regardless of weather it immediately fires up. This is the third year for it.
Plus one ... both my bikes sit on battery tenders all year round, but I suspect it the 93 fuel issue.

·
Megatron
181 Posts
So, regardless if the manual recommends high octane you guys are saying I'd be better off running lower octane? I have an 08 FI Vulcan..

·
Registered
424 Posts
So, regardless if the manual recommends high octane you guys are saying I'd be better off running lower octane? I have an 08 FI Vulcan..

My manual says do not use less than 91 RON.
91 RON is the Europe desigination of US 87 Octane.
9.5:1 is not high compression, high octane will cause carbon build up as it burns at a lower temputure without the higher compression.

Yes I think we all agree 87 octane is best.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My manual says do not use less than 91 RON.
91 RON is the Europe desigination of US 87 Octane.
9.5:1 is not high compression, high octane will cause carbon build up as it burns at a lower temputure without the higher compression.

Yes I think we all agree 87 octane is best.
+1. Alot of people get confused by that RON thing. You know us Americans, if another country is using some form of measurement or classification, we need to change it! When he said he was running 98RON, that's equivalent to about 93 in our system. In contrast, the 91RON under the seat and in the manual translates to 87 :)

Again, contrary to popular belief, the higher the octane, the poorer the fuel performs. However, it enables high compression engines, so you can, in the end, have alot more power. But, in our case, we're running compression similar to my 4-cylinder Saturn.... 87 is what you need.

You have a 1500, it MIGHT be higher, MAYBE. Run the lowest octane that doesn't cause the engine to ping for the best performance and cleanest engine. And, again, if the manual says 91RON, then you need 87 'Murican

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wait until fuel pump is on. When you turn the key the f/i light ( red ) comes on. You then here a whiring sound. That's the fuel pump. When sound stops hit the starter button. Bike should fire up.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts