Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my 900 custom a little louder but not a lot more than what it is. I guess more throaty on accelerations. I read that you can remove the screens for a stage 1 but I'm unsure how to do this. Do i shove something down the exhaust pipe hole until i come up against something that blocks it path than i ram my object through? If so how do i get the screen out of the pipe. If that is the way to do it. Anyone have pictures of this ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Use a 3/4" hole saw and extension on a drill or I have heard of people sharpening the end of a piece of rebar and popping through it. I did a stage 2 and am probably going to go ahead and remove the baffles here soon.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i looked on youtube but all i could find were complete debaffles. I want to take it one step at a time and am curious how much of a difference removing the screen makes the sound louder. Also, do i have any issues with the air mixture by doing this

·
Registered
347 Posts
I suspect that you are not getting a lot of response on this query as:

a) This is super-well documented on this site...do a search; and
b) You are referring to some part of the exhaust as "screen".
Perhaps you mean "baffles"?

It is quite simple...do the search.

1) Drill out the pop rivets that hold the small plate on the back of each exhaust tube and remove those cosmetic plates
2) Bend back the edge of the collar where the cosmetic plates mount to the baffle
3) Cut the baffle (small pipe) as close to the baffle end cap as you can being super-careful with your saws-all or jigsaw...as to not score/mark up your pipes
4) Drill a pretty pattern of holes through the baffle end cap...perhaps 6 or 8 around the perimeter
5) That as far as I have gone
6) Others have skipped step 4 above, and cut around the baffle end cap with two hole saws...one around 2.5 inches in diameter, the other smaller...then stuffed a broom handle into the end of the baffle (small pipe) and wiggled it until the weld breaks on the front end of the baffle...then removed the baffle pipe (looks to be around a foot long or there about)

This is not meant to be a comprehensive instruction...that set of instructions is already on this site...search is your friend.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh, and if you only change your pipes...no air fuel mixture issues...if you change both your pipes and your intake, then they say you need to go with some kind of aftermarket ecu...again...search...

By drilling the baffle plates (with 8 holes) I have a fairly pleasant, but not harsh exhaust note. It is sometimes a little quiet for me...I have been riding like this for a month now...I'm not too sure if I want to go all the way with a full de-baffle or not...it would be nice to hear a 9 with a full de-baffle in the flesh instead of on youtube...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
OK, HERE IT IS...AFTER 09.....they are "plugs"...not screens.
Most insert a pointed rebar and "punch " through the screens....or plugs......others use a drill extension....sometimes the screen/plug comes out...sometimes they don't. Usually they come flying out when u rev the bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK, HERE IT IS...AFTER 09.....they are "plugs"...not screens.
Most insert a pointed rebar and "punch " through the screens....or plugs......others use a drill extension....sometimes the screen/plug comes out...sometimes they don't. Usually they come flying out when u rev the bike.
^^yup^^

Same thing works on an 2008.

I used a "drift pin" - all you need is something with a small enough diameter that will fit through the exhaust and long enough to make contact with the screen or plug... rebar - long drill bit - long-screw-driver... heck, a piece of wooden dowling would probably work -
- just insert and give it a good whack with a hammer until you feel it "give/break"

Rev up the engine and the pieces will come flying out
(make sure there's no one standing behind the bike when you rev the engine because they DO, in fact, come flying out)

·
Registered
9 Posts
punch the plug?

ok a couple weeks late but i have the 09 900 lt and i see plugs down the pipe no screen. so i can just use a punch and a mini sledge hammer and knock it out? and does any one have a sound clip of just the scree/plug punched out? i have searched and searched on here and other places and cant find one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts