Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it all loose except the platic chrome cap on the end of the bar. It appears to be glued in place. If I bust it off can I get one from the dealer?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have it all loose except the platic chrome cap on the end of the bar. It appears to be glued in place. If I bust it off can I get one from the dealer?
If I remember right it is screwed on. other than that it may have a little glue on it, but it should pull off without having to break it.. The grip will be real tight when you try to remove it from the bars. it will help if you can find something small like a coat hanger wire or something that you can slide in to break the seal between the grip and the bars. Also if you can get the straw from a can of wd-40 in there and give it a little squirt it will help.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The left side plastic end loosens clock-wise brother. They're about 14 pacos apiece. I would take a cloth and vise grips and turn right to remove. The right side is normal (clockwise to tighten). Use thread lock when re-installing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much guys. It was screwed on, reverse threads. Very odd design. You guys saved me a few bucks and alot of grief.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Working with my '96 VN800 classic.

Just to be clear, left handgrip end cap screw is reverse threaded, but throttle side end cap screw is normal threads..? Both have been driving me nuts since if feels like somebody freakin locktite'd the hell out of mine

·
Registered
249 Posts
A tip on breaking the seal form the glue... compressed air.

Use a blow gun with a fine nozzle, and let the air do the work for you. Often at the shop we can completely take the grip off this way without damage.

I know this is an old thread that got revisited, so thought I'd add my $.02 while it's refreshed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A tip on breaking the seal form the glue... compressed air.

Use a blow gun with a fine nozzle, and let the air do the work for you. Often at the shop we can completely take the grip off this way without damage.

I know this is an old thread that got revisited, so thought I'd add my $.02 while it's refreshed.
Thanks for the tip, I still am wondering about the end cap screws. Before I can work on the grips themselves, I need to get the caps off and I'm not sure how they are threaded

1 - 7 of 7 Posts