Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps. We all know what they are. Its such a simple word, so I thought we all knew how to pronounce it.

And then..... I was reading through my e-mail today and was looking at one from Eagle Leather in which, amongst a host of other stuff, they were selling chaps.

There was a paragraph written about them and in that paragraph was something that stopped me cold. It stated that the word "chaps" is pronounced with an "sh" sound at the beginning instead of the "ch" sound as is written.

"Shaps" instead of chaps.

I've not heard of this and I will go to my grave pronouncing the word as it is spelled.

Any comments on this supposed pronunciation?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Both pronunciations are acceptable. The "ch" sound is probably the most authentic since the word originally came from Spanish and the same root as "chaparral" does. Nonetheless, the French pronunciation ("sh") is what I grew up with and is fairly common. Take your pick.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
CHAPS. Don't forget to ware pants with them or you'll get pulled over.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Call 'em the way you see 'em!

My wife pronounces it: "Oh yeah Baby! Come to Mama!"

I tried to explain to her she's pronouncing Chaps incorrectly as she grabbed my butt. She replied, "Stop talking.":devil2:

I swear, with that attitude she'll never learn how to pronounce 'Chaps' correctly!0:)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll keep trying to teach her though, won't ya?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
It's CHAPS, because if you don't ware pants your azz gets chapped.:grin2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's a new one on me too

On a similar note,seems like nearly every day lately I keep hearing people mentioning "assless chaps"

Uhhh,hello,If they weren't assless they'd be pants,not chaps

I'm guessing they add the assless part just because it's funny.It is pretty hilarious if you ask me

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since it is supposedly based on chaparral seems / shap / would be more correct. To quote an old cowboy "A chap is a British fella."

·
Registered
8 Posts
As an Englishman, I feel like an authority. Consider the stereotypically English phrase: “what ho chaps! Jolly good time for an ale.” It is pronounced “ch” not “sh” :p

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like that, "Stop Talking!"

Yes, I recall using chaps with my 1st wife for much the same purpose. Very effective as I recall. After that I could no longer wear them on the bike riding because the never ending stupid ass "I got some" smirk on my face was a dead give away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts