Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, how do you manage (reduce) helmet noise while riding? What helmets do you find quietest and what other device do you use to reduce wind noise? I started wearing ear plugs on the highway but I wonder what other things riders do to reduce noise and ear ringing! :nerd:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have been looking at the Shoei GT-Air. Folks tell me it is quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Any FF (FullFace) helmet should provide you with the maximum windnoise resistance possible...best fit=best noise reduction, as well...just as WCKevin mentioned...

I've grown accustomed to highway rides with my Speed and Strength 3/4. Between the stock windshield on the bike and it...wind noise is more than tolerable for me. (That may be due to the fact that my hearing may have decreased due to playing long hours of headbangin' noise back in the day at levels beyond 11. Wore zero hearing protection back then...)

When I was sporting a half helmet on a bike with a smaller Wshield...which both were retired last year...the spongy earplugs were my noise suppressor of choice. Dampened windnoise while still allowing traffic sounds...Kept'em in a little plastic box in the bags...

·
Registered
377 Posts
HI DG

Foam earplugs with a modular RPHA by HJC helmet. The earplugs are a must. I have a short windshield on my V1700 Classic so not full wind protection, but I'm in Florida and it's hot. Also I put lowers on and they made a big difference with eliminating wind blowing up around the tank.

WEG

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi DG,

Like the others have mentioned foam ear plugs worked well with my old 3/4 cheapo helmet and are the most cost effective. I also use ear buds with the music on low or off to allow me to hear traffic and not deal with wind noise. I now have a HJC 3/4 with a shield and a Nolan modular helmet, both are very quiet and comfortable without ear protection.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had an oversized full face helmet and I had wind noise. Once I purchased one that pressed against my cheeks, it was much quieter.
And yes at my MSF course ear plugs were suggested. Not sure which would be best.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Ear plugs ... all the time, both on the bike and when sleeping ... my other half's snoring is worst than the wind noise.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Earplugs. I use the kind you can buy a box of 200 for something like $20 at a hardware store. My current bike is very quiet, so it's the wind noise that gets to me.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
FF helmets can be as loud or louder than half and 3/4 helmets. You have to pay big bucks to get a FF, modular or not, that has both good air flow and low noise.

With a noisy helmet, closing the vents may help. Putting something around your neck to block air flow from there might also help (some of the most quiet helmets do that), but both will make the helmet a lot hotter. I've tried both with my helmet and it only made it hot, not quiet.

This guy (Quiet Ride Ear Muffs Helmet Speaker Installation | Quiet Ride Ear Muffs made some "ear muffs" to encase helmet speakers and quiet his helmet down. You could do that without the speakers, too. Otherwise, pay $$$$ for a premier helmet, or use ear plugs are probably your best bets.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Like the title says, how do you manage (reduce) helmet noise while riding? What helmets do you find quietest and what other device do you use to reduce wind noise? I started wearing ear plugs on the highway but I wonder what other things riders do to reduce noise and ear ringing! :nerd:
Get louder exhaust. They tend to balance each other out.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Active noise cancelling earbuds. Work great!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
i have begun using the foam ear plugs over last season. They work good and are pretty inexpensive. blocks out a lot of wind noise and actually allows me to hear the radio and surrounding traffic a little better

·
Registered
77 Posts
What about reusable ear plugs over foam ones? I've got some surefire plugs I use for shooting and I was planning on getting a set of those for my bike. Has anybody used them and found them not comfortable? Or do people recommend foam ones simply due to cost?

·
Registered
521 Posts
The buffeting bothers me not noise per say. Once I put the Memphis lowers on it really reduced it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
The voices in my head.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
It starts with a good helmet that is properly fitted to the wearer.

Next comes wind deflection. We all want our bike to look cool (I know I do). Depending on what is 'cool' to you will determine how well it deflects wind and buffeting from the wind. Lowers help the buffeting a lot.

I have a HJC FF modular helmet with a SENA system installed. I am able to use intercom and voice commands with zero issues. I make phone calls and people tell me how amazed they are when they discover I am riding my bike talking from inside a helmet.

Oh, and my bike has Cobra Slash Down pipes.

The most important detail that works for me is proper helmet fit. A well made quality helmet makes this possible. My helmet with accessories comes to almost $800 dollars! Well worth it for the comfort and serenity it provides. Plus, with the touch of a button on my grip remote I can switch to ambient mode which transmits from an exterior microphone making it seem as if I don't have a helmet on at all! That's for the times when I want to hear everything outside my helmet.

I've been riding since I was a wee lad. I've worn helmets that barley fit the definition of a helmet! I've had ill fitting FF helmets that made it seem like I were in a wind tunnel. Some of them were so bad I could still hear the roar for hours after the ride!

There are options that don't break the bank as previous posters have mentioned. Ear plugs are my favorite. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
What about reusable ear plugs over foam ones? I've got some surefire plugs I use for shooting and I was planning on getting a set of those for my bike. Has anybody used them and found them not comfortable? Or do people recommend foam ones simply due to cost?
It mostly comes down to how comfortable they are for you. Trial and error is the best way to discover what will work best for you.

Personally I prefer the foam plugs if it's going to be warm. And sometimes it gets warm inside that helmet. Which, by the way, is the reason it's important to choose a helmet with a good ventilation system!

·
Registered
494 Posts
My Shoei GT-Air is pretty quiet and I use foam ear plugs as well. If I'm just running an errand and the speeds will remain under 40mph I skip the plugs but otherwise I use the plugs. Gotta protect your hearing!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dye your hair gray. That way when you pull off your helmet and keep bellowing, "WHAT? EH? HUH?" you'll look perfectly natural.

:rimshot:

Okay, foam ear plugs it is, then. I tried the 3M soft plastic ones -- the ones you get at Home Depot that are orange and are attached to a string -- I just about gave myself do-it-yourself brain surgery when I tried to put on the helmet, but YMMV depending on your helmet fit.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts