Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, January 2015
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run my 2006 vn2000 at Bonneville. I can't find anything on the internet to give my bike a real power increase besides exhaust, intake, and power commander. I have already installed a 2 into one megaphone exhaust, dynoed with power commander and open intake and got 134 lbs rwtq/ 108 rwhp. I ordered a smaller toothed rear pulley from Scootworks and am thinking about attempting the Euro gear change myself. I have stripped the bike completely, and the exhaust weighs 12 lbs. I am also thinking about changing the fuel tank for a 3 gallon low profile tank. I will probably re-dyno the bike with high power race fuel. Is there anything else I can do to this bike to make it faster without a fairing?? More power to the motor without NOS??? I heard something about removing a butterfly in the intake??? The bike is very light now, but I fear that I don't have enough power in the bike to get past the wind drag at high speed. Any ideas out there?? Do you know of any engine shops that can do work on this kind of bike reliably??

Thanks!

·
Registered
538 Posts
There's alway turbo charging.

Seriously, unless you want to spend a huge amount of money on custom engine work, you have just about run out of things to do to your V2K motor. I know of no one marketing any internal hot rod parts for this series yet. Good luck and be carefull.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you just want top speed, instead of putting the Euro gears on, just reverse the stock ones. There is a step by step procedure somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. But I can come up with in a day or so.

Also here is the VN2000 record run at Bonneville in 2007, with some video.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/499/1501/Motorcycle-Article/2007-Bonneville-Speed-Trials-Recap.aspx

I heard that he reversed the stock gears, and made this run in 4th gear, but I don't know if it is a fact??? I do know that the salt flat conditions were not very good when this run was done.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2015
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you just want top speed, instead of putting the Euro gears on, just reverse the stock ones. There is a step by step procedure somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment. But I can come up with in a day or so.

Also here is the VN2000 record run at Bonneville in 2007, with some video.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/499/1501/Motorcycle-Article/2007-Bonneville-Speed-Trials-Recap.aspx

I heard that he reversed the stock gears, and made this run in 4th gear, but I don't know if it is a fact??? I do know that the salt flat conditions were not very good when this run was done.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the euro gears and gaskets, along with a billet pulley from Scootworks (2 less teeth), and a 2" lowering block from Britt Motorsports (along with lowering the front forks in the tripple tree). I got the bike dynoed this week (sad numbers) 105 rwhp/131 rwtq. My Cobra Speedster Long exhaust gave me 108 rwhp and 138 rwtq but weighed 8 lbs more than the bonnevilles. I have the Bonneville exhaust (which accounts for the low numbers- no back pressure) from SCP performance and an open intake (snorkel and 1/4" screen. I don't care about these dyno numbers, because I'm going to make a ram air intake and dyno the bike with a variable speed leaf blower calibrated with the bike's true calibrated airspeed at the intake (variables such as wind deflection, and true mph vs bike indicated mph) if that makes any sense. I'll dyno the bike with power producing race fuel. Who knows? I'm also thinking about an MSD ignition system and wires. The most important thing will probably to either build a small tank in order to have my 24" very low handlebars clear the bike, or to remove the chrome speedometer cover off of the bike and make a flush mount and drop in a mini speedo, re-locate the ignition switch for more tuck and bar clearance. A lot to think about, but relatively inexpensive when you think about how much custom bobbers cost from a shop.

I'll start posting pics if anyone is interested in seeing the progress of this bobber/bonneville bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes keep us posted, but remember, regular race fuel in a lower compression motor will make less HP. There are some Oxygenated fuels that may help, U4.2 or run Klotz nitro additive, and it will need retuning for both of those. I have been drag racing Kawasaki V twin ATVs the past several years, so if I can help, let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts