Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VRAC Nation President, BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & No
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Matazu rs bags on my bike installed with the brackets they sent and within 1000km my bags are getting fractures in them as they vibrate bad and wobble way to much anyone have the same happen? I am interested to learn how you installed yours!:D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Did you install the large fender washers when you mounted them? Mine have, I dunno, around 15k or so on them. No issues here. Mine do wobble and flex but; they were pretty cheap so I'm not complaining. There should be two big fender washers on either side of the bag on every bolt that goes through it to prevent cracking.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Agree with Romans. Installed using the rubber grommets & brass inserts. Then used large fender washers (1.5") on both sides to support the grommets. This will dampen the vibration and prevent cracking. Have had mine mounted now for 3000-4000 miles no issues so far.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You bet guys I used the rubber grommets and brass inserts as well as the large fender washers and it is fracturing, I am thinking our roads have something to do with it as we have alot of frost heaves in our highways and potholes in our city roads some large enough to loose a truck in..lol.. my dream is to ride the highways in the states they always seem so smooth when we fly there...anyway we are having issues with trying to either hide some sort of stabilizer behind and under or something that would go with y spider theme as there are not that many areas to be able to weld onto.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Wow, that would be a lot of vibration, and bone jarring hits. Ouch. How good are you with fiberglass? Might be able to strengthen with fiberglass across the cracks. There maybe some other type fixes out there as well.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Wow, that would be a lot of vibration, and bone jarring hits. Ouch. How good are you with fiberglass? Might be able to strengthen with fiberglass across the cracks. There maybe some other type fixes out there as well.
That is what I was going to suggest. I do not have those bags, but it would help, but take a little bit away from your storage. Then you would take some spray adhesive and some felt from a sewing store and line your bags to smooth them out good too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just installed mine a few weeks ago, but I used some structural "L" brackets to support the bags from underneath as well. Granted, I've got far fewer miles than everyone else who has posted, but my bags don't move at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have Mutazu MU bags and before my first ride I could tell they were going to flex too much -- I bought the "upgraded" Mutazu chrome supports, that have 3 mount points that are too close together which, when combined with how thin the plastic of the bag is, would have caused them to crack. I ended up skipping the rubber grommets, but used nylon washers outside, with fender washers inside. I also increased the number of mounting points to 5, and then for good measure made an aluminum brace that runs from one bag to the other for lateral support. I've got a couple thousand miles of local and highway driving (with a couple bad stretches of frost-heaved roads) without problem. I can carry a backpack in one bag and lunch plus a change of shoes in the other and they basically don't move much at all with this set up. You can see pictures here: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262732&postcount=9

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info guys and the pics and install instructions on yours steve900c, I will be doing a bit of work this weekend before my Show n Shine.

And I will be be adding a Blue Leather to the inside thanks SWVA_08V2k

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I think I had the LM bags, smaller with the useless LED lights. I mounted mine on .098 lexan at 2 points near the bottom, and 2 going into the fende through the fender support. Have about 30,000 milss on them. Removed them due to the front right side hinge breaking, got to work 1 night and found the door came open on they way there, side opening. I did lay it on the right side last March, am sure that contributed to it breaking. I did it this way so they would tuck in closer to the bike. Cant load photo from phone, says invalid image.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I built my own brackets out of inch and a quarter flat iron, folding the bracket to go underneath the saddlebags. I put a layer of door/window insulation on the brackets before I bolted the bags to the brackets. The insulation "tape" was about the same width as the flat iron. It's worked well for probably 10-12k miles (had them on so long I'm not sure how many miles).
Don't know if that helps or not. I did use the large flat washers as well.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I guess I should add that I added the insulation as a cushion or shock absorber between the iron and saddlebags.

·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I built my own brackets out of inch and a quarter flat iron, folding the bracket to go underneath the saddlebags. I put a layer of door/window insulation on the brackets before I bolted the bags to the brackets. The insulation "tape" was about the same width as the flat iron. It's worked well for probably 10-12k miles (had them on so long I'm not sure how many miles).
Don't know if that helps or not. I did use the large flat washers as well.

That is a great idea wouldn't take much to make my own as I have all the tools to do it..Thnx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts