Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How crazy is this? Buy a low mileage 1600 to replace my current 1600.

I'm the third owner of a red 2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic. I bought it back in 2007 with only 10,000 kms on the clock (6,200 miles) it now has appx.74,000 kms on it (46,000 miles).

I bought a super expensive heated Corbin leather touring seat for it after owning it for the first five years and I love that seat! My plan was always to eventually get myself a low mileage 1600 Classic or 1600 Nomad later on to replace my 2003 and then move all of my expensive goodies over to the newer bike with the low miles.

I just spotted a 2004 1600 Classic with only 9,224 kms (5,731 miles) on it, that brings me right back to the mileage that my 2003 had when I first bought it in 2007. I could transfer all of my add-ons except the chrome fender tips onto this low mileage 2004.

One small issue is that the 2004 hasn't got the best paint colour, it's kind of a deep plum colour. My 2003 has a pretty nice looking red colour but I could probably live with this plum colour.

The guy is asking $3,700 Canadian ($2,835 USD)

I'm considering buying it and then turning around and selling my 2003 with the 46,000 miles on it. I might end up almost breaking even when the dust settles.

Is 46,000 miles a lot on a 1600? Maybe I shouldn't bother with this idea but I thought that I'd run it by you guys to see what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know why but I kind of assumed that these motors wouldn't last all that long but it appears that I might be wrong on that one.

I do find that the motor is a bit noisy with the clacking/ticking of what must be the valves? But it seems like a pretty common thing. I did install the cam-chain tensioner extender kit six or seven years ago so there's nothing more that I can do now except keep clean oil in it.

This bike soon developed a slight problem after I bought it back in 2007 with oil mist covering the engine over some time, it looks like there's a little bit of an oil mist seeping out from the top head gaskets. I was told by a mechanic that until it leaks a lot more than that just live with it. It's not extreme by any means but just makes a bit of a mess.

I'm not crazy for the colour of that other 1600 Classic......and it is a pain to relocate all of my extras onto another bike. So if these engines go for a good long time I might be better off sticking with what I've got for now.

It would be different if the other bike was a Nomad 1600 though, I wouldn't mind finding a low mileage 2007-2008 Nomad 1600. I'm almost certain that my Corbin seat will fit on that bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not crazy

My 2006 Vulcan 900 was/ is a Classic LT or Light Touring model but the guy I bought it from took all the LT stuff off for his other 900.

So I got a 900 Classic even though title say it is a LT.

:surprise::surprise::surprise:

A lower mileage bike is always good plus someone will be happy with your old bike - Win-Win :laugh2::laugh2:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I do not think the engine will be the problem. I have a 2007 1600 Mean Streak (same engine) with over 52,000 miles on the clock. I do not doubt that I will get to 100,000 or more with out major problems. I am however considering replacing the suspension components. I should mention I always use synthetic motor oil (Amsoil).

That being said as someone recently mentioned less millage is better than more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm just getting back into the Vulcan world, I had a 1995 VN800A back in 95. I rode the hell out of it, selling it five years later with 55,000 miles on it and it was still running strong. I saw that bike go back up for sale again a few years later with over 60k miles.

Not relevant to the Vulcan world, but I had a Triumph Tiger that I sold with 100,000 miles on it and it ran great. My Yamaha Super Tenere has 45,000 and I'm certain it will go to 100k.

Modern bikes with proper service have more longevity than people think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts