Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy test to see if my cooling fan is working? It doesn't seem to ever come on even when the engine is hot. I would like to test the fan without the sensor etc., but I do not want to remove the gastank to get at the plug. I have the service manual and I can check the fuse this week. I just thought I would ask some you the experts out here. Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can hear mine running, but this is with stock pipes. You should be able to see if it is running or not when stopped. My fan usually kicks on when I am in stop-n-go traffic, or at a red light for more than a minute or so..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Even with drilled baffles (8 holes each) it's quite easy to tell when mine is on. It usually occurs when I've been doing a lot of stop and go running, city traffic style, and the whine of the fan is evident, as is the sudden rush of hot air over my legs, easily noticeable even in jeans.

It shouldn't take long for it to kick in if you just start the bike and leave it at idle, but I don't guarantee that as the safest method of testing... ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i kinda have a piggy back question, my cousin had noticed that my fan was cutting off when I hit my kill switch. He said that it should stay on until the key is turned off. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not sure why it should stay on after hitting the kill switch. With the engine off it will begin to cool down, and the water pump won't be running..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just got out my service manual. The fan should come on when coolant temp reaches 212 degrees, and will turn off when coolant temp falls to 194.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
1. Fan should be free wheeling, if you can't rotate it, it might be seized.
2. Fan WILL stay on if your kill switch is off (WATCH YOUR FINGERS)
3. Generally there is a switch that expands and contracts with heat, thus making the necessary "contact" allowing fan to operate.
4. Inspect for any leakage around fan.
5. A ''sticky" thermostat, that sticks open will let the bike run cool, ergo, the fan won't come on.
6. Fan rarely comes on, when it does a LOUD whirring sound will DEFFINITELY be noticeable.
7. Fan will generally only come on in stop and go traffic.

Regards-Silent.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Not sure why it should stay on after hitting the kill switch. With the engine off it will begin to cool down, and the water pump won't be running..
On my 08 900 Custom, the fan stays on until the key is turned off, same as the headlights and such.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I can hear mine come on at idle and I can feel the rush of warm air breezing by me. Also if it is 70+ºF when I pull in the drive way and hit the kill switch often the fan will come on, easy to hear it that way

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was going to say, I hear mine, specially sometimes when I get home and put the kickstand down, the engine shuts but the fan stays on. I then leave the key on until the fan is done cooling. It shuts off in a few seconds. I can also feel the warm air on my right leg when I stop at red lights every now and then.

Hey cruiser, you need the T'Pol speedo...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not sure what state you are in. But if you anywhere near the south, go out for a 20-30 minute ride when temps are 85F+. When you stop, the fan will almost certainly kick on after a couple seconds. You can hear and feel it. The hot breeze goes right through jeans and all. My bet is that yours isn't working if you are having to ask this question at all.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey cruiser, you need the T'Pol speedo...

Fascinating however it would send the wrong impression to my daughters. Now if it had a real T'Pol pic faded with that background I would be OK with it

·
Registered
306 Posts
mine only comes on when it is like 90 out in stop and go traffic anything below like 85 or so i can idle all day long and the cooling is sufficent enough where the fan does not come on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts