Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes, I know of two of us at least. I'm from Twin Falls (south-central Idaho). I know of another poster from northern Idaho.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife and I live in Meridian, ID and we both ride Vulcans. She has a 900LT and I ride a Nomad. We ride about 15000 miles a year, so we're out there a lot. We have plans for a few long trips next summer, so this winter will give us plenty of time for planning. Yellowstone and Cody, WY is a good possibility as is a ride up into southern BC and Alberta through the Okanagan Valley and the Icefields Parkway.

See you all out there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
(waves) I'm from Calgary, Alberta. We were just down there, came from Lolo to Lewiston, did the Old Spiral Highway en route to Moscow, then did an about face and headed south again. We rode Wawawai road to Clarkston, then headed to Grangeville and points south. Wow.

My wife and I rode pairs on our scooters, and we have radio communications. Every time we came around a courner or over a hill, it was "Oh Wow!". You guys have some of the best riding in the world. The Old 95 Highway in and around White Bird is mind-blowing, as is the ride from Horseshoe Bend to Challis. So anyway, we rode down the Salmon River, visited as we lunched in Riggins, then took a wrong turn and ended up at Weizer, where we stayed before heading along the Payette, Deadwood and Salmon Rivers to Big Hole Pass and finally Wisdom, MT. From there we made our way north and west through Montana as far as the Bull River Road before heading back through Rexford. Wow! 2200 miles in nine days, almost all of it looking at the next curve...

Idaho has incredible riding. Why do you keep it a secret? I am already planning to return. There are places we never got to, like the road behind Coeur d'Alene Lake and down through St.Maries to Orofino, then back to White Bird to explore it further before heading into the Palouse and adventures further west and north.

We met many really nice people, generous and hospitable. We truly enjoyed our time there, and plan on returning again in a few weeks and probably again in September, after school goes back in and the crowds thin at Yellowstone.

You who head north up US93 might be interested to know of the Trails End Motel in Salmon. Ron and Carla are bike people, very friendly, and the rates and rooms are excellent value. We'd already covered 280 miles that day and were happy to find them. (Idaho has inner bigness!)

Anyway, salute from Calgary. I'll see you on the road. Watch for Alberta plates... LOL!

Scott Fraser

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We only try to keep it secret from certain folks. To the south and west of us...>.>. Wife and I just carved up a bunch of ID75 and US93 from Stanley to Challis and back down to Shoshone last week. Great ride.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Scott, I am posting from a room at the Trail's End motel - because of your suggestion. You are right, the owners are great and the room was only $56 including tax !! I met a biker couple on the way up in Challis and gave them the phone number for this place, and I see they are staying here too - so you have already sold at least two rooms for them :)

Thanks for the tip !!

·
Registered
953 Posts
My wife and I are originally from Idaho (we met in Mud lake). I graduated H.S. from Idaho Falls. I was up there in early June to ride with my Dad before he gets too old. Beautiful place, a little cool for morning riding however.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Great burger in Salmon, Idaho

It is not a fancy place, but Burnt Burger makes a GREAT burger and fries in Salmon, Idaho. It was recommended by the Trail's End motel owners.

Also, if you have time check out the Sacajawea center - well worth the $5, especially if you attend one of the programs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Scott, I am posting from a room at the Trail's End motel - because of your suggestion. You are right, the owners are great and the room was only $56 including tax !! I met a biker couple on the way up in Challis and gave them the phone number for this place, and I see they are staying here too - so you have already sold at least two rooms for them :)

Thanks for the tip !!
Hey, Randy, good to hear from you. Say hi to Ron and Carla from me. They're great people and have a nice place. We never got to see the Sacajawea memorial, but at their suggestion we did head to the Big Hole Battlefield and see the memorial there. The ride north from Wisdom to Seeley Lake was memorable, too.

We're leaving here on Saturday 23/07 headed for Coeur d'Alene, arriving late Sunday afternoon. You guys will be headed north through the area around then, no? We should try and connect.

Ride safe, and enjoy the scenery. I'm jealous --- surrounded by Flatland.

Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
...anyone else in the state having trouble riding anywhere because every major highway is torn to crap? Just wondering....

1 - 20 of 64 Posts