Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shopping for a preowned Vulcan 900 Custom, and i was wondering if everything else being equal, Has there been any improvements made between 2007 and now? Is the only real difference the Color schemes available? I've been reading reviews, and there isn't any mention of the previous years model, and what if anything has changed.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
As far as I'm aware, just the paint. There may have been some changes in the electrical dept due to stator issues ( some model years eat em faster than other model years) but the over all platform is the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@whiting57,
Are there any specifc years that have seen this issue more then others, and i should stay clear from? or is it just a luck of the draw?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We only have empirical evidence here, but, it seems the 06/07 and possible 08's burn up their stators the quickest. This, however, is NOT dealbreaker because an aftermarket stator is very reasonable, and, unlike some other makes and models, our stators are easy to get at, and easily replaced.We did an informal poll here a while back, and those 3 years came up the most.
It appears that the 2013's have finally beefed up the seat which is a source of torture for most. Other than minor tuning/detuning, the bike largely remains the same for ALL years. The classic/lt models have spokes/thus tubed tires. The custom has cast wheels. This sways some to the custom.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
We only have empirical evidence here, but, it seems the 06/07 and possible 08's burn up their stators the quickest. This, however, is NOT dealbreaker because an aftermarket stator is very reasonable, and, unlike some other makes and models, our stators are easy to get at, and easily replaced.We did an informal poll here a while back, and those 3 years came up the most.
It appears that the 2013's have finally beefed up the seat which is a source of torture for most. Other than minor tuning/detuning, the bike largely remains the same for ALL years. The classic/lt models have spokes/thus tubed tires. The custom has cast wheels. This sways some to the custom.
+1

Also, in recent years, all models have seemed to switch to black kickstands and switch covers. Previously, most models had a chrome kickstand and silver switch colors with 'blacked out' models like the SE having the black. I suppose Kawasaki is saving a buck by not producing two, and even the non-blacked out models have a black kickstand and switch covers.

Other than what's mentioned, that's all I've noticed looking at newer models.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I thought they changed those grease zerks that kept breaking in 2012.
(poorly placed grease ports on the bottom of the bike)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott

·
Registered
350 Posts
Those grease zerks on the bottom of the bike (that hang down from the swing-arm pivot) are not there on the '12. IIRC, the grease zerk disappeared on the '09 model...but not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like at the very least the is a less of a chance of having issues with the 09 version verses older models and spending the extra $$ May save a headache later. The 2010 seems to be outside my comfort level financially but i can make the 2009 fit

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an '09 and it came with the three bottom zirc fittings. Two of which I have since "removed" :D. I love my '09 and ride it as much as I can stand. I still have the stock seat, doesn't seem to bother me much up to about 150 miles/day.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an 09 Custom and those ill placed grease zerks are still there. I believe they were moved on the 12 model.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 2006 appears to have a different weld point on the neck of the frame than a friends 07. It almost looks like 1 of the 2 bikes has had the neck fattened an inch. They are both the same size, but entirely different welds. (Don't know of another 2006 or newer classic to compare too)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an '08 and I love it. Got the Custom and swooped it up for $4200 with 7700 miles on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts