Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
No problems with heat on mine, especially compared to the air cooled bikes I've ridden.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Ninja 650R and the Vulcan seems to get much hotter than it does. I thought "O well the seat is lower and closer to the pipes" but a friend mentioned how hot it was when he sat on it today. I do live in Texas but he' had a lot of motorcycles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Ninja 650R and the Vulcan seems to get much hotter than it does. I thought "O well the seat is lower and closer to the pipes" but a friend mentioned how hot it was when he sat on it today. I do live in Texas but he' had a lot of motorcycles.
They run cooler than HD's, go test drive a Dyna or Fat Bob. I think it's more noticeable when the fan kicks on and blows it back on your legs. My 1996 1500L runs a little hotter than the 900. I live in Texas too, no such thing a s "cool" anything these days lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
$.02 -
The heat that gets blown on your legs off the radiator is what keeps this engine cooler than your average air cooled engine...especially sitting in traffic.
Sure, you're gonna feel the heat more when the rad fan is on, but it's better than the engine overheating.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I recently put in(this year) amsoil antifreeze in my '06 900 classic,it does run a little cooler since the fan does not come on as often,plus the coolant is good for 7 years!(at least thats what amsoil claims for gas engines) all my fluids are amsoil....after doing alot of research I wouldn't run anything else.It costs a bit more than normal,but to me it's worth the costs for the protection it gives.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Engine Ice is another product that people have used, and is widely respected.

I too thought the 900 was hot. But, I find many of my friends with HD's won't even ride on hot days, so I have come to grips with the temp of the 900.

I have added wide pegs, to get my feet away from the engine, and it's awesome. Doesn't help when stuck in traffic thou....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Never noticed my bike running hot,fan has only came one once and that was a few days back when it was hotter than hell outside and had to sit in a traffic backup,at least i know the fan works cuz since i've owned my 900 it has never kicked on till a few days back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since my '09 900 Classic is my first motorcycle, I can't compare it to anything else. But it does run hotter than it did. Since I put the K&N air filter on, the fan runs more often than it did. I haven't had it over heat, even riding home from work in the 100-106 degree heat here. A motorhead friend of mine told me that CARS with the leaner mixture the K&N produces tend to run hotter.

I had considered putting Engine Ice coolant in until I read that to flush the system, you had to take off the tank. That exceeds my meager mechanical abilities.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I agree with you that the 900 runs hot. I was really surprised at the difference between my 900 and my 750. Advice from past posts led me to a product called Water Wetter,
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10
You add this to your antifreeze instead of draining it and replacing with the engine ice, and I have to say, it made a difference. Not completely perfect, but at least it is bearable in 95 degree St. Louie weather..... I used it all last year, and then changed out my antifreeze this year at 22000 miles and used the second half of the bottle. So at least IMHO, it is worth the cost and aggravation of removing the gas tank so that you can get to the radiator cap to insert the solution......

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My 900 easily runs cooler than my old 700 did. A friend of mine with an FLHX claimed he couldn't even put his right leg up on his highway peg on a hot day because his motor would get so hot...On the whole I think my 9 stays really very cool.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maybe thats why my fan hardly ever comes on, I do not get that much heat off my bike,after removing that huge plastic air filter housing that was taking up all that space between the cylinders and getting the filter out in the open.like i said in last post fan has only came on once since i've owned it and have never felt any heat on the legs otherwise.as i would'nt really know if that had anything to do with it or not because the aftermarket air kit was installed at 30 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hot seat

I just bought a 2007 Vulcan 900 classic and put a k&n filter on it. The wife and I doubled up for a ride in 90degree temp and the cooling fan come on blowing hot air under my seat and back towards the wife. Very noticeable. I never noticed this on my Vulcan 1500? Is this normal or should I put the stock filter back on?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My last bike was an SV650, you know, liquid cooled v-twin. I swear this Kaw 900 runs much cooler. Also, when the fan kicked on with the Suzuki, it would almost roast my right leg. With the Vulcan 900, I barely feel the heat, and when I do feel it, its just a light warm breeze on my fore-arms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hot

I took off my k&n filter and cleaned and put the stock one back on, took the bike out for along hot ride and it run A lot cooler, the fan never came on and very little heat under the seat. Talked too a fellow vulcan900 classic owner whom happen too pull next to me at a dealer shop, told me I would need a fuel adjuster before using the k&n again is this true?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've recently ridden two-up, 105+ Nevada desert, 90+mph over 200 miles. Heat wasn't bad off the bike, though I could tell when the fan came on (hot shins). However, I removed the left side cover (the one over the overflow tank). I can feel hot air coming out of there at speed, so to me, I perceive that I'm getting better airflow past the rear cylinder fins. This heat is behind my leg and the lovely hasn't complained of extra heat on her left shin.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My right leg gets a bit toasty at stop lights. And yes it's a little warm riding when it's about 95 degrees out. But I've gotten used to it. But it beats taking the car!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts