Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for hot weather riding gear? I live in East Tennessee and we are currently experiencing 90°+, with 90%humidity. My jacket is just too hot!.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine jacket is an AGV sport, mesh but still has armor. Can even upgrade to a CE back pad. I'm sure a t-shirt is cooler but this flows air pretty well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mesh jackets are great in the cool department, even my venerable Fieldsheer (at least 10 years old). But you loose a lot of moisture, the wind blows through, and your sweat evaporates and you sweat more and that evaporates, so you have basically become a 'human swamp cooler'. This is just fine but you have to drink a lot of water to compensate, so if it's a long trip make sure to bring some with.
Today I rode to work, 35 miles between 60 and 80 mph, and arrived thirsty as usual for this time of year, and drank at least 24 ounces of water so far.
Stay hydrated my friend!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mesh jackets are great in the cool department, even my venerable Fieldsheer (at least 10 years old). But you loose a lot of moisture, the wind blows through, and your sweat evaporates and you sweat more and that evaporates, so you have basically become a 'human swamp cooler'. This is just fine but you have to drink a lot of water to compensate, so if it's a long trip make sure to bring some with.
Today I rode to work, 35 miles between 60 and 80 mph, and arrived thirsty as usual for this time of year, and drank at least 24 ounces of water so far.
Stay hydrated my friend!
Same trick works with a wet t-shirt. Soak it in water, wring it out, and wear it under your mesh jacket. :good:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Same trick works with a wet t-shirt. Soak it in water, wring it out, and wear it under your mesh jacket. :good:
That sounds like a good plan, I'll try it some day, maybe this weekend. Thanks.
Besides a guy like me looks good with a "I peed my Pants" sort of a waddle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in SC. I have a mesh jacket with armor. Go to your local bike shop and try them on. Then go to Amazon to purchase. If your bike has a full windshield, it cuts 90% of the wind and you lose the airflow. I'm going to change mine to a short windscreen so I get more of the cooling effect.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Cooling vest is always an option. Dried in about 3 hours riding trough Vegas in 113 degrees temperature. It works even better if you keep it all soaked in the refrigerator the night before or in a cooler before you use it. There is also a cooling scarf that works on the same principle.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Chaps without pants.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Chaps without pants.
So uhm, chapless ass?

LOL

As for me, Olympia Airglide 5 mesh jacket with armor and without the liners in. A Buff on my bald head helps keep my noggin cool and makes the helmet go on and off easier. Kevlar lined jeans are fine while you're riding, but can get uncomfortable if you're hanging out in between rides. I may start wearing regular jeans and put the Olympia Airglide 4 armored mesh pants over them.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
too cool for school

I started using a cooling vest last year underneath my mesh ( armoured of course) jacket. It makes the difference of riding or not. One acquaintance made fun of me , but I feel that riding less fatigued and comfortable is riding safer.:grin2:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-cooling-waterproof-vest

·
Registered
11 Posts
Icon yellow mesh armored jacket and some pretty old olympia mesh pants. Both have seen some "road action", both are over 10 yrs old, still work great. My new VN2000 has the giant windshield, and I have found it very warm on hot days, might have to take the shield off for the summer months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts