Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a '95 500 that had been sitting around for the past 8-9 years. I cleaned the carbs, put new plugs in and got it running pretty easily. However, one of the cylinders is much hotter than the other. I'm inclined to think that it is running a little lean but wanted to see if anyone knew of other potential issues. Appreciate the help.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rebuilt the carbs. Replaced all the parts that came in the kit and cleaned up everything else; including all the little holes in the jets. It was sitting inside the whole time and the odometer says 18,000 miles on it assuming its accurate.

· Registered
23 Posts
Loose Boot

Make sure that the rubber boot between the hot carb and the cylinder is sealed tight enough to prevent air bypass. My son bought an EN500 this spring that had set for several months in a garage and after reattaching the carb boot, it had an air leak because the coiled spring around the boot and the steel spring clamp were not tight. By the time he rode it back home the right exhaust pipe was blue and right cylinder was very hot. After we reattached the boot, it ran normally with no more issues. Just a possibility.
Addendum9

· Registered
174 Posts
After all that carb work, if you haven't already, I would suggest checking to see if they are synchronized. If they are way out of sync, it might cause a temperature difference. Mine were way out of sync when I bought it in 2010, even though the P.O. had had them rebuilt by a shop and had the receipts to prove it. I made my own synching set up based on info on this board and elsewhere on the net. It's pretty easy and inexpensive to build.

This may not be the problem with the temp diff, but I would do it anyway. If you want to see why so many riders love the way this bike performs, your carbs need to be in perfect synch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.