Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 VN800 that I bought about 1.5 years ago. Previous owner had already started to hack into the bike a little. He removed the EPA. But not sure he did a great job because some of the hoses were literally just taped off. There is a small hoses connecting the 2 top engine covers together. And I have random places where I see hoses go out and not connect to anything on the other side. And I see some random nipples in other places with no hoses.

So my question is. Once a VN800 is scooterized with modded air box and EPA removed. Can someone please tell me what all hoses are left and where the go? I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos and searched and can’t find the answer.

Here are my main concerns.

1. Hose connecting the 2 engine top pieces. Should these be capped off instead? Or does it even matter

2. There’s empty nipples on the backside of the carb and on the right side of the petcock. From what I can gather online. I’m thinking a hose needs to connect these 2 together?

3. On the left/front/bottom side of my carb there’s a little white thing with a hose on it. And that hose just goes around and down below the carb. As if it once went to the air box before it was modded and current goes to nothing. Should this be removed or capped off or left alone?

4. On the left/back/top side of my carb is a similar looking black thing with a hose connected to it. And it just routes out back near the battery and dumps out to nothing. Same thing. Should this be left or capped or what?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry.

5. My crank case breather nipple has nothing attached to it. It’s just empty right behind the left side of the carb. Is that ok? Or should I run a hose somewhere? Even put a filter on the end?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this picture online which helps.

So my hose connected to the white thing that’s labeled “not this” on my bike goes down at the bottom where the EPA and crankcase hoses dump out in the picture. And I don’t have an EPA or crankcase hose at all.

Then my float vent goes back to the back tire area and dumps.

So I guess my biggest questions now are. The thing labeled “not this” in the photo. What’s that supposed to go to? And does my crankcase need a hose/filter on it? And lastly. Do the nipple on the backside of my carb and right side of my petcock need to connect to each other?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
what some do is remove the crankcase breather hose from the back of the OEM airbox when installing a new aftermarket airbox and feed that breather hose down underneath the frame of the bike towards the outside air, the oil mist from the crankcase will end up on the road surface instead of being recycled back into the combustion chambers, that hose does not need a filter on it because most of the time the pressure in the crankcase is pushing outwards when the motor is running, but if you are nervous about not having a filter on the end of that hose then you can add a filter to prevent dirt from returning back into the engine crankcase. the nipple on the backside of the carb and on the petcock need to be join with a rubber hose because thats the carb vacuum line that is needed to pull on the small ball rubber stopper in the petcock, when air rushes thru the throat of the carb opening it will create a vacuum and that vacuum must pass thru that tube hose to the petcock to pull on that rubber stopper to allow gas to flow to the carb bowl, when air is not causing a vacuum in the carb a spring in the petcock closes that small rubber stopper shutting off gas flow

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
you might find that on an 800 the crankcase breather hose connects to an exit nipple that's found near the top of the rear cylinder on the inside of the rear cyl (at the top that's in that gap between the front and rear cylinders), that exit nipple there runs down inside the cylinder towards the inside of the crankcase

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That nipple at the top inside of the rear cylinder is the nipple I thought was the crankcase breather. It’s currently empty. Where is the crankcase breather then if that’s not it?

Also. What about the left bottom side of the carb. That little white thing that sticks out and has a hose. Where’s that supposed to go?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
on your 800 carb, there's a nipple that is a carb gas bowl air breather line, that line or hose just runs over towards the inside of your side cover or down infront of your battery, it's just an air line to keep the outside air pressure equal in the carb bowl, if you don't run that hose or don't put a hole on that carb nipple it won't hurt anything, the other nipple on the carb is your gas line that comes from your petcock, the other nipple is your vacuum line that connect to the petcock, and i think those are the only 3 nipples you have to work with on the carb, that crankcase breather hose doesn't connect to the carb

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks. So basically I need to connect the carb and petcock and leave the other things as is.
Except. Where is my crankcase breather starting at if it’s not that too inside of rear cylinder?

Also. I have a small hose connecting both cylinders together. Is that ok or should they be capped

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That nipple at the top inside of the rear cylinder is the nipple I thought was the crankcase breather. It’s currently empty. Where is the crankcase breather then if that’s not it?
that nipple at the top inside of the rear cyl. is your crankcase breather line and if there is no hose attached to it then the previous owner remove a hose going from that nipple to the back of the airbox backing plate, so without a hose on that nipple what will happen is the oil mist coming out from the crankcase will exit onto the upper parts of the rear cylinder, it may create an oily mess there but it won't hurt anything without a hose other than just making an oily mess of oil spray in that area.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks. I definitely want to run a line so there isn’t an oily mess. Thank you.

So just to double confirm. The little white thing on the bottom left side of the carb that has a hose coming out of it. That’s just another breather hose that can go out and dump somewhere? It doesn’t need to go anywhere else?

And the top of the 2 cylinders connecting together. Is that ok? Or should they be capped off instead

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Also. I have a small hose connecting both cylinders together. Is that ok or should they be capped
that hose that joins both front and rear cylinder is meant to allow outside air to enter the exhaust pipes thru what is called the reed valves, its to allow air into the exhaust header pipe to explode ( mean combust) any unburnt exhaust gases before that exhaust enters the outside air, so you can join those 2 nipples together with a hose and if by chance there is no hose used then you can get a vacuum cap that fits onto those 2 cylinder nipples and plug them completely, either way is fine, the idea here is to not allow oxygen to enter the exhaust header pipe thereby no oxygen means no combustion means no backfiring or popping in your pipes which many ppl hate that sound of backfiring or popping in your pipes so they plug those 2 nipples off

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
sorry, if you have a hose connecting both cylinders together then you can either leave the hose attached to both nipples or you can remove that hose and plug both cylinder nipples off completely with caps, either way works to block any fresh oxygen getting into the exhaust header pipes

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Can you confirm that one last white thing/hose on the left side of the carb? Does that go anywhere to just a breather

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Here are my main concerns.

1. Hose connecting the 2 engine top pieces. Should these be capped off instead? Or does it even matter

2. There’s empty nipples on the backside of the carb and on the right side of the petcock. From what I can gather online. I’m thinking a hose needs to connect these 2 together?

3. On the left/front/bottom side of my carb there’s a little white thing with a hose on it. And that hose just goes around and down below the carb. As if it once went to the air box before it was modded and current goes to nothing. Should this be removed or capped off or left alone?

4. On the left/back/top side of my carb is a similar looking black thing with a hose connected to it. And it just routes out back near the battery and dumps out to nothing. Same thing. Should this be left or capped or what?
just to recap things, #1 cap both nipples off completely or join with a hose allowing no air to get inside, doesn't matter either way works. #2 vacuum line and is a must have. #3 thats the fuel line, if it's left side carb, bottom with white elbow nipple, that's the fuel gas line, #4 that's the outside air line to keep the inside carb bowl air pressure the same as the outside air so don't cap it

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Everything makes sense except that one white elbow piece on the carb. Where should that go? Please see the picture here I’m attaching. On mine. The white elbow hose I circled goes down below and just dumps. I circled where it’s routed. Is this correct? Or does it need to attach to something

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Everything makes sense except that one white elbow piece on the carb. Where should that go? Please see the picture here I’m attaching. On mine. The white elbow hose I circled goes down below and just dumps. I circled where it’s routed. Is this correct? Or does it need to attach to something
well is that your gas fuel nipple? if it's on the left side of the carb and at the bottom and near the front, that's the gas line, cause the only other nipple on the left side of the carb is near the top middle and is the outside air pressure line for the carb bowl, i think those are the only 2 nipples on the left side of the carb, the only other nipple on the carb is the vacuum line to the petcock and that one is at the very back of the carb throat at the top, those are the only 3 nipples on that carb

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
in your picture, that one you circle that's showing below the carb, that is the crankcase breather recycle hose and that one does not connect anywhere to the carb, oil mist comes out of that one and is suppose to recycle back into the combustion chambers for re-combustion but it does not connect the carb at all, it connects or used to connect to the back of the airbox backing plate sort of like taking crankcase blowby mist and pushing it back thru the front opening throat of the carb air intake for recombustion

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
on the 800 from the factory there was also a hose nipple on the bottom of the airbox, on the very bottom which let oil that accumulated there from the crankcase breather hose and the oil would drip down thru that nipply by gravity into a small bottle they attached to the right side of the bike frame on the right, when that bottle fills up with oil it is emptied then put back but that bottle maybe be gone on your bike because with aftermarket airboxes that oil re-capture idea is not used rather crankcase oil mist is just discarded to the road surface which is against Environmental standards but so little oil ends up on the road from a motorcycle that I doubt anyone would go to jail for it but you never know

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This is my bike and picture of how mine sits right now. I just took the pic. As you can see. The white nipple has a hose on it that is “U” shaped down below and goes to nothing. What should this go to?
that white nipple elbow on the left in the picture is your fuel gas line, that goes to the petcock

1 - 20 of 28 Posts