Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revzilla has a number of reviews on the Dunlop Sportmax D220 and the tires get an average rating of 1.7 out of 5. After reading the reviews, I'm starting to think of getting new tires when I only have 1660 miles on the bike since new a few months ago. Are these tires so bad they are a safety hazard? Bike tires aren't that expensive, and one of the highest rated tires is the Michelin Commander II tires and they are around $160 per tire. Pretty reasonable cost for peace of mind. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I remember the OEM tires to be VERY slick in the wet. The Vulcan S was my first bike so I just assumed that was normal. I wasn't carving any corners through the life of the OEM tires but once I got off those and onto the Pirelli Anget GTs I felt so much more confident in the bike and my abilities. Ive heard lots of good things about the Michelin Commander series so I'm sure you won't be disappointed in them. After now experiencing multiple different bikes and tires I can say with confidence that yes, the OEM Dunlop tires are cheap garbage. If you have the funds to get off them I would highly suggest it.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Revzilla has a number of reviews on the Dunlop Sportmax D220 and the tires get an average rating of 1.7 out of 5. After reading the reviews, I'm starting to think of getting new tires when I only have 1660 miles on the bike since new a few months ago. Are these tires so bad they are a safety hazard? Bike tires aren't that expensive, and one of the highest rated tires is the Michelin Commander II tires and they are around $160 per tire. Pretty reasonable cost for peace of mind. Thoughts?
I don't know about the Sportmax line, but when I had a Honda Sabre, Dunlops (I don't remember which line) were the recommended replacements in the manual. We called them Duncraps. I don't mind a soft, fast wearing tire if it has good grip and handling, but those Duncraps failed on all accounts. Fast wearing, so-so grip, and poor handling.

Keep in mind that longer wearing tires are made of harder rubber. Harder rubber, less grip. MCIIs are multiple compound tires which helps, but I don't like them (fantastic wear, but too many butt pucker moments in rain, and on tar snakes on hot summer days). MCIIIs are supposed to have better grip, but the jury is still out on how long they last and how well they grip.

Shinkos are softer, and cheaper. They get very good reviews for grip, but the do not last nearly as long as MCIIs. Depending on what is important to you, you might give them a try if they have some that fit your bike.

Reactions: Tourer and NCPiper

·
Registered
796 Posts
I survived my Sports Max until they were spent. I realised long before I got new ones but I rode to the conditions.
It doesn't matter what tyre you pick they're all going to reach a point where they offer less performance and you need to adjust.
I guess it boils down to the type of riding you do, the level of risk you take and the degree of faith you have in your equipment.
My point is are you going to buy expensive tyres and toss em at the half way mark when the performance isn't peak?
If you're already not concerned about the cost just do it and buy what you want.
Here in Australia the lack of range and the minimal difference in price (all expensive) made the choice easy for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dunlops are Duninonelap. I was surprised to see them on my 2021 Cafe KVS. I did get caught in the rain on one ride, and took extra care to keep my riding smooth. Any suggestions for replacements ? I am partial to Shinko's and always had good mileage out of them: cost-effective and VFM. Not sure if they come in the KVS sizes.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
340 Posts
When I finished putting on my Pirellis ..it started to rain...I went out in the rain with brand new tires and traction was good...they are rt66 Pirellis...they drive great...I had bridgestones on before the Pirellis...the front tire for the bridgestone has slightly more traction than the Pirellis...the Pirelli rear has more traction than the Bridgestone it replaced ...seams..grooves and tar snakes are much less of a concern with the Pirellis...it is night and day to me.
I was originally going to get shinkos..the Pirellis had better reviews by a small margin than the shinkos...the price was about the same so I went with the Pirellis.
Whatever you pick be sure it is a tire that has good reviews overall rather than a specific area ...the profile of the tire changes the handling for rain grooves....turning in..However I did pay a (little) more attention to complaints about rain grooves in reviews..and to tire failures..Mind you results can be different for different size tires and different bikes.
If you are going to hit the highway alot and plan on putting on alot of miles yearly..then skip straight to the high dollar Michelin tires

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting to read this. My bike is from 2015 and I still have Dunlops. In approaching 9000km though (5500 miles).
I've had no issue in the rain, but as one of the previous posters, I have nothing to compare.
I did ride in pretty bad rain but only for 10km or so.

I just might get Angel GT for the next season.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
340 Posts
Interesting to read this. My bike is from 2015 and I still have Dunlops. In approaching 9000km though (5500 miles).
I've had no issue in the rain, but as one of the previous posters, I have nothing to compare.
I did ride in pretty bad rain but only for 10km or so.

I just might get Angel GT for the next season.
I find it odd that the dunlops recieved terrible reviews as well...might not be a great tire but there is nothing wrong with them...in a way its what all other tires are compared to.
It may have been a single person that left alot of bad reviews using different names.
Also ...if people are expecting a package in three days and it takes a week..the customer is unhappy anyway and may take it out in the tire review itself.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
I find it odd that the dunlops recieved terrible reviews as well...might not be a great tire but there is nothing wrong with them...in a way its what all other tires are compared to.
It may have been a single person that left alot of bad reviews using different names.
Also ...if people are expecting a package in three days and it takes a week..the customer is unhappy anyway and may take it out in the tire review itself.

I don't know about reviews on vendor sites, etc., but the negative reviews in this thread are mostly from personal experiences, it seems. All of the Honda Sabre riders I referred to that had negative opinions about them are my personal acquaintances. Out of over a hundred Sabre riders I know personally, I don't think more than 5 or 6 have favorable or maybe neutral opinions of them.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
340 Posts
I don't know about reviews on vendor sites, etc., but the negative reviews in this thread are mostly from personal experiences, it seems. All of the Honda Sabre riders I referred to that had negative opinions about them are my personal acquaintances. Out of over a hundred Sabre riders I know personally, I don't think more than 5 or 6 have favorable or maybe neutral opinions of them.
That's a shame..they used to have a decent tire..fronts used to last along time anyway and took minimal balancing weight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I don't ride in the rain, ever. Scares the daylights out of me, so I just don't ride when there's a chance of rain. We've certainly had our fair share of rain lately up here in New England, so I haven't been riding as much. I guess I'll keep the stocks for a bit longer then make the switch to something better.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
340 Posts
Well, I don't ride in the rain, ever. Scares the daylights out of me, so I just don't ride when there's a chance of rain. We've certainly had our fair share of rain lately up here in New England, so I haven't been riding as much. I guess I'll keep the stocks for a bit longer then make the switch to something better.
I am happy with my Pirellis..I dont know how long they will last..but they are pretty close to being perfectly round...there is some noise on some roads not many though..price was right.
I don't like to ride in the rain either...but I just finished up and it rained..the pavement was wet and it was barely sprinkling when I left..I checked traction at the rear with the brake...was impressed.
They do make some noise on some roads..not many though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts