Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend called me this morning wanting to go for a ride along the beach. Beautiful day 74 degrees clear skies here in FL. Were on a major highway at an intersection with I-95 when I hear a skid and a crash behind me. I look in my rear view mirror and see my friend Dave lying in the highway. I pull over rush over to him. He is face down, unconscious, face in a pool of blood. Someone has already called 911. He wakes up thank God, can't remember anything. The car behind him said he hit some gravel or sand in the road and just skidded and locked up and went down. He had a face full of roadrash but otherwise seemed OK. I made him go to the hospital via ambulance. Broken finger and 11 FACIAL FRACTURES. Had no pain at all. They transferred him to the local trauma center from here. Thank God for the helmet he was wearing.. I will never ride without one again. Normally don't anyway unless I'm just going to the store outside of our development. Really had a hard time riding my bike home from the hospital. I felt shaky all day having seen this horrible event.
If if wasn't Florida I would wear full face for all riding but just to hot here in the summer. I will no longer worry about the "cool" factor when putting on my helmet. Looking cool vs. death, no comparison. Lesson learned.
I must have passed 30 to 40 riders on my way home, no one wearing helmets. It just isn't worth it! Please everyone, put it on all the time!!!!

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Wow! That's terrible. I wish speedy recovery to your friend.
On the subject of helmets. I would choose safety over comfort in a heartbit. I wear gloves, armored jacket and a full face helmet all the time Not fun in 90+ degree weather but...

Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend I wish him a speedy recovery. I had the same thing happened a year ago but ended up flipping the bike end over end several times. I watched my head bounce off the road numerous times. Kinda off seeing it thru you're face shield. Emt's said I'd been dead if it wasn't for that helmet. To each his own but for me full face all the time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. They are considering making helmets optional here in NC and its those kinds of events that will make me always wear one no matter what.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. They are considering making helmets optional here in NC and its those kinds of events that will make me always wear one no matter what.
They keep talking about making it optional here in MO. Honestly- I think it should be, but, I also think nobody should ever ride without one! LOL. Well, anyway- point is an adult riding a motorcycle should be able to make that decision for themselves, not be forced to by a bunch of non-riding voters. BUT; I sure hope folks will realize that no matter WHAT some folks like to think, you're chances of surviving an accident without a liner-equipped helmet go down quite a bit.

I always wear a full face. I know folks talk about it being too hot but even when it gets up into the triple digits I don't mind mine, I just ride with the visor all the way open and either sunglasses or clear safety glasses to protect my eyes. Still probably warmer than a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. When I bought my bike I bought a full face helmet, I don't have anything against the 3/4 lids or whatever, it's just what I bought. I like the protection it offers (not just from the road but from the elements! When a bunch of pea gravel gets tossed from an uncovered load 50 yards in front of you and is bouncing up off the road it's nice to be able to just close your visor and not have to deal with it! Same with bugs...), and haven't ever had a reason to feel like buying a different helmet. I WOULD like a modular helmet though, that I could flip up and take a drink of water while I'm riding! LOL

Glad to hear your friend is alright. Bone and skin heals!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Sorry about your friend. I hope he heals fine and fast. Take care out there and ride safe. ATGATT! I sometimes feel dorky, but I do wear a FF on a Cruiser all the time. My face is hard enough to look at without being all torn up...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wearing a helmet will always be optional for me - but only when I'm not on the bike!

·
Registered
150 Posts
It being too hot is a silly childish excuse. I ride year round, in all conditions, below freezing, or over 100* in a full face helmet and gear. You owe it yourself and your FAMILY to wear the proper gear! No, I don't believe in helmet laws, nor do I care for seatbelt laws... but I think anyone who doesn't wear gear is asking for it. Some people learn before they hit the ground, and some learn when the nurse is scrubbing the road grime out of their wounds with steel wool.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Sorry about your friend. I hope he heals fine and fast. Take care out there and ride safe. ATGATT! I sometimes feel dorky, but I do wear a FF on a Cruiser all the time. My face is hard enough to look at without being all torn up...
Must be something about bears ... don't want to scare my granddaughter any more than I already do!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry to hear about your buddy. It must have been a real though ride home I'm sure.

I agree with the better to have it and not need it group. I still feel dorky with a jacket on when I see other rides in tee shirts. Family first, they need you.

Ride safe!
Ron M

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I wish for a speedy recovery. It doesn't matter where you are an accident could happen anywhere. I never leave home with out my helmet. VA its law but in KY (which is only 30 minutes away) as long as you are 21? you don't. I still do there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry to hear your buddy got hurt and wish him a speedy recovery. There is a helmut law here in Canada but I would wear mine anyway. Been there, done that, got the T shirt. But stll here to do it again, coz I was wearing my helmut

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friends accident; very glad he is going to be OK.

In TX, wearing a helmet is optional if you're an adult.
The only time I ride without my FF, is when I have been trying to track down a rattle.
Then it's only in my neighborhood at slow speeds.
The rest of the time it's boots, gloves, jacket & FF.

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts