Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding today my horn just started blowing. Didn't push the button it just started and the only way to stop it was to pull one of the wires off. Hated to do that but could not ride all the way home with a blaring horn. Checked the switch and it doesn't appear to be sticking. Fuse isn't the problem. Soon as I reconnect the wire it starts blowing. Suggestions? Also it's an 06 vulcan 1600.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi Ex;

I'm no expert on these bikes but I believe the horn switch completes the ground circuit for the horn when pressed. IF I am correct then you may have a short in the wire from the horn to the switch or the connector for this wire on the horn is shorting across the horn. Might take the horn off the bike and hook up the wires and see if it still blasts away. If it does then it's probably a short in the wire from the switch. If not and the horn switch will make it blast, then I would look at the horn contact post where the wire from the switch connects to see if it has been bent or is in contact with the horn casing.

What you really need is to have SFAIR chime in with his expertise. If you can't find the problem you might send SFAIR a message asking for guidance. He is absolutely the best troubleshooter I have seen on this or any other forum.

Hope you get it ironed out. Tough to ride and blow a bugle at the same time! ?

WEG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice and I will give it a try soon. Think I'm gonna order a service manual for the bike also. No mechanic by any means and that should help. Just struck me as odd that it started blaring without the switch being touched.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Shorted wire to it someplace. Get the ohmmeter out and start tracing them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
WEG has it correct. Our (most Jap vehicles) have power going to the horn all the time. The switch completes the ground circuit. So, yes, you have a short to ground on the wire that goes from the horn to the switch or you have a bad switch. Shouldn't be too hard to tack down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Horned stopped blowing now it won't work at all. Disconnected it and removed it from the bike and tried it. Got nothing. Put it back on, no sound. I can feel the vibration and it trying to work but no sound. No time this morning to look into it further tho.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sounds like horn its self may have shorted out. You can test it by using another horn, such as from your cage. Plug your wires onto it and if it continues to blow, its the wiring, if it only blows when you push horn button, its your horn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like horn its self may have shorted out. You can test it by using another horn, such as from your cage. Plug your wires onto it and if it continues to blow, its the wiring, if it only blows when you push horn button, its your horn.
Hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the tip. Now if it will only stop raining long enough. I just got the bike delivered last friday and wouldn't you know it we are supposed to get rain all week long. Last time I owned a bike I used to swear I could hire out as a drought buster. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts