Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am intending to install two Highway Blaster horns(1 low tone, 1 high tone). I have a 30 amp auto relay so that I don't take a chance of burning out my horn button. I have the wiring diagram below from Gagets Page, but I am a little unclear on one aspect.:confused: I see where the positive wire from the horn button attaches to 86 and where I think the other horn ground wire attaches to 85.

First, am I right that I just attach the two existing horn wires to 85 & 86?

Second, does it matter which one is which? For example if I get the positive & negative mixed up, will it let all the smoke out of the relay. I know when the smoke is all gone, the relay won't work anymore!:mad:

Lastly, if it is important to get the correct wires on those two terminals, how do I know which one is which?

Thanks for any help you can give. Please keep replies pretty simple. I am a decent mechanical engineer, but a little shaky on electronics.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
It should not matter if you reverse the connections to the relay coil if the relay is controlled by a switch.

Not necessarily true if the relay is controlled by a transistor or other type of electronic switch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
85 and 86 is correct, polarity doesn't matter.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. I hope to get them mounted and wired up soon. I also just added driving lights (a la Wal-mart) and relocated my crank-case breather. I will post some pics when it is all done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts