Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ahh, the meep, meep stock horn. First thing I ditched. I put on a Bad Boy horn from Harbor Freight Just a few days after I purchased my bike. I can verify that there's a huge difference in sound and volume (and it's not expensive).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have the chrome Wolo Bad Boy. If I did it all over again, I would buy the black one, just because of where I mounted it.

It'll get somebody's attention. Also good for scaring off dogs that want to chase you.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep..I took off those goofy paper decals and it looks okay on the bike. It's not that big and you can use some of the OEM horn's mounting bracket to attach to down tube. You can also take it apart into two sections if you want. Wire it to the battery using the included kit.
Roger, what did you mount the horn to? Could you do another picture from the back side of the crash bars? I made the mistake of mounting mine where the OEM horn was and after hitting a big bump found it had cracked my fender.

Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used a Fiamm Highway blaster low tone. It uses the mount and stock wires. It's no Bad Boy but it's much better than the stocker. If you use tow you'll need a relay.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Roger, what did you mount the horn to? Could you do another picture from the back side of the crash bars? I made the mistake of mounting mine where the OEM horn was and after hitting a big bump found it had cracked my fender.

Thanks!
I mounted it to my engine guard bracket and used a piece from the OEM horn mount. The rest comes with the horn.

Attachments

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I put these on. Although they are better than the stocker I wouldn't recommend them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q86LC/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are louder then the beep beep, but not very robust sounding if you ask me. Sounds like they won't last long, and the chrome is plastic. I think we all know what happens to chromed plastic after a time. It starts peeling off and turns white by exposing the plastic housing underneath. They are a cheap alternative though. If I had seen it earlier I would have bought the relay harness from them too though. It would have made the install a little quicker. As I had ordered an inline fuse and weatherproof relay kit all separately and wired them in myself. You have to isolate the horn circuit and simply use the signal the powers the stock horn to energize a relay or you will burn out your horn switch. They require an isolated 15 amp fused circuit (use 20 amp to be safe). I actually had it fused correctly but they way I had it tied into my terminal strip I installed, it blew out the Accessory Fuse (which was only 10 amp) one day when I really needed the horn. So I then rewired it to a circuit straight off the battery isolating it from any other circuits and it now works fine.

I have my eye on these new horns, they are of metal construction and are even louder still.

I mounted mine to the upper engine guard bolts at the frame. I happened to have 2 chrome S brackets that worked perfect for me. See attached pics. Good luck!

Update: The horns are holding up OK. And do actually sound much better than stocker of course. Have had to blast it at various wildlife (ie...deer, squirrels, bunnies, cagers, etc..) And they do take notice! But I am still going to install the ones I posted in that last link. I have them in hand. They are quite heavy though being all metal. The chrome is nice and they should last long. but I have to fab up some sort of side mounting bracket if I want them in the same place I have the existing horns. They almost have to be, unless I want to rewire the whole system (NOT!). They do come with a bracket, but it just won't work with the way I have them mounted on my engine guard bolt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I mounted mine to the top bar of the highway bars on the driver side. I have a second one for the right side, I just have not put it into play yet. I wanted mine as far forward as I could get it and in an open for the maximum benefit.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I Highly recommend the Stebel Nautilus. I bought the wiring harness and it went right where the original did. I just have to watch bigger bumps or it touches the front fender, but it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just bought the Fiamm Highway blaster low tone. $14.95 off Amazon. Haven't installed it yet because it didn't quite fit into the stock mount. Need to get bolts to attach it with the bracket it came with. I like the size and ability to mount it near the original horn out of sight and without a problem to the front fender. Didn't want to add a relay...we will see soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I mounted a Wolo Bad Boy just a little higher than Graybush did, and would do it the same way again. I mounted the relay on the original horn mount, painted it black, and had no trouble in 2 years. It gets the attention of a railroad engineer at a hundred yards; they always honk back (and they have a better horn).

Grandpa

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just bought the Fiamm Highway blaster low tone. $14.95 off Amazon. Haven't installed it yet because it didn't quite fit into the stock mount. Need to get bolts to attach it with the bracket it came with. I like the size and ability to mount it near the original horn out of sight and without a problem to the front fender. Didn't want to add a relay...we will see soon.
Let me know what you think of it. I found a low tone off one of my trucks in the garage. I don't remember which truck it belonged to but I'm going to test it (I have a DB meter) as I'm sure it's louder than the stock Vulcan one. I use the bad boy on my current cage and it's great.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw the link you put up. It say's multiple tone. Does it change tones?
It is dual tone. The horn has two air chambers, one that resonates at 530 Hz and one at 680 Hz. It does not oscillate between the two, nor is it selectable to sound only one tone. Both tones are heard at the same time.

If you are interested, there are lower prices for the same Wolo Bad Boy 419 available from other sources, including Amazon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got my Wolo Bad Boy off Amazon $30 to the door, my local HF was $36 and out of stock.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F5DQWY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
221 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts