Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get rid of the stock horn on 06 vulcan 900 an use a car or truck horn. something a little louder... any suggestions on what horn..Do i need two horns or just one... not alot of room where the stock one is.....is it just a bolt on fix or do i need a relay.Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
You could look at the 'Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn'. I went with another (cheaper) version that I seem to remember buying at Pep Boy's. The main issue is choosing a mounting location that you are happy with and possibly coming up with your own bracket.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I tried the double horn thing, stock with a boat horn, didnt work so well, and there is not as much room there as you think. My fender hit the horn. Bought the Stebel compact, 138db of get the he!! out of my way. Love and will have one on every bike from now on. has already saved me from 3 collisions. And it fits nice on the left side above the shifter, mounts to the motor mounts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you don't want to install the needed relay and associated wiring required with the Stebel, try this Fiamm Freeway Blaster. It's a plug and play replacement for the oem. I moved the location to a bolt just under the front right side of the tank...original wire was long enough to work. I was concerned that the fender, under suspension compression, may bump the horn...plus the horn is hidden a bit more from view. Easy, quick and plenty loud.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have had the Freeway Blaster and now have the Wolo Bad Boy. First, the Freeway Blaster is louder than the stock horn, but not by much. I ended up deciding to go for the Wolo when I could not get by buddy's attention even though I was riding behind him. His Harley pipes were just louder than the horn. And honestly, his pipes are not that loud. My Cobra Dragsters with the Quiet Core baffles are louder than his V&H pipes.

Second, the Wolo is the knock-off version of the Stebel. But it cost a lot less and is close to the same loudness as the Stebel. I got mine from Harbor Freight. However, if you want a nicer looking version, Wolo does make a chrome one. And boy is this thing loud. The first time I tried to get the same buddy's attention with the new horn, he almost jumped off his bike. For the price difference, I think the Wolo is the way to go. And just like the Stebel it mounts nicely to one of the motor mount bolts on the left hand side. I just made a little metal tab to attach to the motor bolt and then the horn.

·
Registered
65 Posts
STEBEL CHROME W/ PLUG AND PLAY WIRNG HARNESS IS $70 total.Will wake up the dead and make chicks jump on the side of the road. Guy in a "smart car" was pulled up to a railroad crossing looking up and down it for a minute ( with no lights flashing) and not moving with a line of us behind him. I blew it and he almost S**t. He called me a F*****n A******e, I said "THat's big talk for a D*****e K*t in a kiddie car". He obviously had anger issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking just a car or truck horn ...A buddy of mine owns a junk yard just up the road from me...there is any kind of horn i want in there...I was wondering if i had to run a relay or can i just use the stock wires that are there now?????

·
Registered
343 Posts
I tried a car horn from a Lesabre it wouldn't' work, needs more power.You will need a relay, there is lots of them in cars now so you could grab one when you get the horn. On the Lesabre they are under some plastic on the outside of the fire wall.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just finished installing Stebel Nautilis Compact Air Horn in Chrome last weekend. Fabricated a nice bracket that mounts to the two front motor mount bolts on left side arching up in and to the rear to mount horn low near the engine inside the shifter, lifted fuel tank to run wires from existing horn wires to relar in battery compartment, ground wire from air horn to ground post under right side cover. positive from batter thru 20a fuse to relay thru relay to air horn positive. made for a clean install looks like it belings there and damn it is loud. three days later we did the exact same thing on the sons VN800 took about 3 hours but we were in no hurry. Makes a big difference now when I hit the horn it gets everyones attention!!
Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts