Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there. I just bought a stebel nautilus air horn with new relay. Where is the horn relay located on the 2009 vulcan 900 custom? Thanks in advance.

pcmikey (AKA RoadKill)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey out there. I just bought a stebel nautilus air horn with new relay. Where is the horn relay located on the 2009 vulcan 900 custom? Thanks in advance.

pcmikey (AKA RoadKill)
No relay. The power to your OEM horn is right off the horn button. Take the wires from your OEM horn and connect them to the coil of your new relay. Take a new wire directly from the + battery post, preferably fused, and connect to one side of the N.O. contact on your relay. From the other side of your N.O. contact take a wire to your new horn. The other side of your new horn goes to the frame or all the way back to the - battery post.

·
Registered
273 Posts
relay

I mounted my horn relay on my classic right under the tank on the right side. Don't have pictures but there was already a screw there that holds the wiring. As my bike is black it fits right in and isn't noticeable. I get teased of the sound of my stebel (old buick) but it sure gets attention.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I assume that what you meant was to run the relay off the horn switch and the power to the horn itself via the relay to a more stable power souce, such as an add-on aux line...

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I assume that what you meant was to run the relay off the horn switch and the power to the horn itself via the relay to a more stable power souce, such as an add-on aux line...
From other threads I've read on other forums, running the power lead directly from the battery is much better. My understanding is the Stebel horn draws a fair amount of current. Having it on it's own fused circuit is safer and more reliable. So that would be a yes to your post.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soj

You are right. I read the fine print on the seber nautilus box with a magnifying glass (jeweler's loupe actually). the thing draws 18 amps. I am installing a 20 amp auto type fuse. BTW the original horn bracket can be used with minor modifications. I am mounting it leftward to assure clearance, plus it looks better that way.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Soj

You are right. I read the fine print on the seber nautilus box with a magnifying glass (jeweler's loupe actually). the thing draws 18 amps. I am installing a 20 amp auto type fuse. BTW the original horn bracket can be used with minor modifications. I am mounting it leftward to assure clearance, plus it looks better that way.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
Cool. Can we see a pic once it's mounted? I need something louder than the OEM horn over here to get the attention of various farm animals that prefer the road over the fields as well as moped riders who think the only reason to have mirrors is to squeeze zits all day.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I mounted a relay on the right hand side of the bike just under the gas tank. There is a screw holding a little wire bracket that helps keep the wires all neat as they go forward. This screw is attached to the frame itself. The big massive part of the frame where the pipe from under the tank mates with the part holding the steering stem. Anyway, I just bolted the relay to the same spot with the same bolt an then ran the horn wires to the bottom connections. I didn't even have to change or cut the original horn wires.

Another option is to hide it all in the headlight bucket. You could hide a small nuclear reactor inside that thing. That is where the relay for my driving lights is hidden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts