Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

A quick question regarding horn relays, I know if mounting a horn with a compressor we need to use a relay, but what if we are using a non compressor type horn? Like these:

Would I still need a relay?

·
Registered
360 Posts
No, unless these new horns are really big current sinks. The only time you need a relay is if the original source could not supply enough current. The relay would be activated by the original low power source and then the horn would connect to a higher current source through the relay.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
...and... What types of horns are those? dB output? Current draw?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I believe those are FIAMM electronic horns, draws 5 amps, if you use one you are good to go. Two will fry the horn button and blow the fuse. I use one highway blaster. dB output is rated at 129, not as loud as the air horns but will supprise lots of people.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The horns are Hella Supertones, here is a link and specs. It shows 5.5A per horn, if I use just one I should be ok right? I believe the OE fuse is 10A... (thanks for the help electric confuses me)

http://cat.hella.com/hella-nafta/upload/USAData/2009_Horns_information_flyer_mounting_instructions.pdf

part number 3AF 003 399-051
Materialtext HORN S-TONE 12V 500HZ HTONE
Catalogue Section Electric
Nominal Voltage [V] 12V
Wattage [W] 78
Frequency [Hz] 500
Sound Level [Db (A)] 116
Torque of Bracket [Nm] 10 - 15
Weight [Kg] 0.59
Amperage [A] 6.5
Housing Black Coated Metal
Black Protective Grille
Feature 83 mm Bracket
Brand Name Hella
Package Quantity 1
Country Of Origin DE
UPC code 760687056713
Package - Length [In.] 5.62991
Package - Height [In.] 4.92125
Package - Width [In.] 3.74015
Package - Weight [Lbs.] 1.300714
Product Description (long) Supertone High-Tone, 12 V, 500 Hz with Bracket
UPC Code 760687056713

·
Registered
360 Posts
The horns are Hella Supertones, here is a link and specs. It shows 5.5A per horn, if I use just one I should be ok right? I believe the OE fuse is 10A... (thanks for the help electric confuses me)

http://cat.hella.com/hella-nafta/upload/USAData/2009_Horns_information_flyer_mounting_instructions.pdf

Looks like these are big on current. Spec says they are 6.5A each. Use one you are ok. If you are using two then you will have to use a relay rated for the higher current. Use your horn button to activate the relay and run a separate bigger wire from battery to the horns through the relay. I would also use an in-line fuse to be safe, maybe 15A.

·
Registered
424 Posts

part number 3AF 003 399-051
Materialtext HORN S-TONE 12V 500HZ HTONE
Catalogue Section Electric
Nominal Voltage [V] 12V
Wattage [W] 78
Frequency [Hz] 500
Sound Level [Db (A)] 116
Torque of Bracket [Nm] 10 - 15
Weight [Kg] 0.59
Amperage [A] 6.5
Housing Black Coated Metal
Black Protective Grille
Feature 83 mm Bracket
Brand Name Hella
Package Quantity 1
Country Of Origin DE
UPC code 760687056713
Package - Length [In.] 5.62991
Package - Height [In.] 4.92125
Package - Width [In.] 3.74015
Package - Weight [Lbs.] 1.300714
Product Description (long) Supertone High-Tone, 12 V, 500 Hz with Bracket
UPC Code 760687056713

Sorry FIAMM makes some that look almost the same.
Yes use one horn and you are good. I use the low tone. You can use the relay to supply two horns which will raise the dB level a little, use one low tone and one high tone and it really gets noticed.

Still not as loud as an air horn. But sounds good and gets attention.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry FIAMM makes some that look almost the same.
Yes use one horn and you are good. I use the low tone. You can use the relay to supply two horns which will raise the dB level a little, use one low tone and one high tone and it really gets noticed.

Still not as loud as an air horn. But sounds good and gets attention.
Thanks!

FWIW I don't necessarily need to use the hellas, good to know that fiamm makes a set too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just a thought the FIAMM HIGHWAY BLASTER is available at most auto parts store for around 15.00. Standard replacement horn for many cars. Just drop in and pick one up.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
546 Posts
hey truckie,

I replaced the horn on my v2k with two louder electric horns and installed a relay, it keeps the bike wireing from being over loaded and protects your switches, it supplies direct power from the battery to the horns and you are able to run two horns with no problems, but you must install a fuse at the battery connection, the bottom line is you are adding safety to the horn circuit

good luck

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks! What horns did you go with? Where did you mount them? Does two horns require two relays?

hey truckie,

I replaced the horn on my v2k with two louder electric horns and installed a relay, it keeps the bike wireing from being over loaded and protects your switches, it supplies direct power from the battery to the horns and you are able to run two horns with no problems, but you must install a fuse at the battery connection, the bottom line is you are adding safety to the horn circuit

good luck

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WilburDink,

Someone posted this picture on another forum when I asked the same question. Hope this helps.

Does anyone want to do a "how to" on the relay for people like me who are non electrically inclined? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts