Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Fiamm Freeway Blaster on your Vulcan 900? It has 8 in. x 4 x 5 dimensions and it seems much larger than stock. The Nautilus Stebel is even larger but I went w the Fiamm after some research. Of course, I already ordered it (yesterday fr Amazon) in my zeal to mod. I still have time, possibly, to change it as they haven't shipped yet. Was this a stupid decision, fitment-wise? :D Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
it should fit in the stock location. you may have to fabricate a mount. If you have highway bars/engine guards you may need to relocate it. Most highway bars and engine guards suggest relocating the horn on the right side of the bike near the neck. That location might not work for you. Your best bet is to wait until you get the horn and physically check. Don't forget to use a relay for the hook up.

on a side note, do you ever ride out on LI? I'm out on the north shore central Suffolk. always nice to see another local guy...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
truckie:

Do you mean the stock horn does not have a relay? I thought it did but haven't yet checked.

I just bought my bike so for now I'm doing local roads to get the hang of it but soon I'd love to see LI, esp the winding roads near the Roosevelt mansion, w/c I visited long ago. Gorgeous in spring!

·
Registered
658 Posts
truckie:

Do you mean the stock horn does not have a relay? I thought it did but haven't yet checked.

I just bought my bike so for now I'm doing local roads to get the hang of it but soon I'd love to see LI, esp the winding roads near the Roosevelt mansion, w/c I visited long ago. Gorgeous in spring!
I believe that after market horns need to be wired using a relay as the stock wiring is not adequate

here is a link to the horn you ordered and relay info.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/horn-relay/motorcycle-horn-relay.htm

if you are out my way shoot me a PM there are some great back roads out here.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The stock horn does not have a relay. It is recommended to put one on when you add an aftermarket horn (especially an air horn) because they pull more amps. Evidently, the first thing to go on the circuit when pulling to many amps is the horn switch. You know, that really expensive looking chrome module on the left hand side. So a $5 relay is better than burning out the horn switch.

Anyway, as for placement, if the horn is just a little curly car horn and you don't have highway bars, you can usually adapt it to the stock horn location. If you have highway bars or buy an air horn, then you will have to find a spot. I have my Wolo Bad Boy (similar to Stebel) mounted on a little metal plate I made which is bolted to the motor mount bolts just inside of shift lever. There are other places too. I have even seen where someone took the air pump off and mounted it under the seat to a frame cross member and then ran the horn part somewhere else with a little hose. The main thing to keep in mind is to allow for travel of any moving parts that may be near where you want to put it. For example, if you want to mount it anywhere near the front fender, you have to make sure it won't hit when the wheel is turned or when the shocks compress hitting a bump.
Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts