Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
With out a doubt the VN900 is ghey. That is my only real complaint. Heck my wife's Savage 650 had a nicer sounding horn. Listen to a VN1600 for a nice sounding tone.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Use a Seafit horn ($24, West Marine), problem solved. I "had" one on my 900 but my boat horn died in the middle of getting a safety inspection on my boat - had to steal it off the bike to get my boat sticker rather than reschedule the inspection. It's easy to rig it in place of the OEM.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
It just occured to me that I had never used the horn on the LT, it was already inspected when I picked it up. Now I know what a GHEY horn sounds like. I can fart louder than that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Horn change is on my "to do" list. I've been thinking about going down to O'Reilly's and getting a pair of car horns. Anybody done this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
657 Posts
got the 900 custom and its a diffent horn then thats on the classie my horn sounds kinda gay and other horns out there lol
I don't know about the gay thing, but be patient. As your bike gets older, it should deepen and mature....:eek:

·
Registered
441 Posts
It just occurred to me that I had never used the horn on the LT, it was already inspected when I picked it up. Now I know what a GHEY horn sounds like. I can fart louder than that.
A few weeks ago I hit the horn to warn this chick that turned in front of me and she never even heard it. The sound is very weak.

·
Registered
273 Posts
replacement horn

I really like my replacement Stebel Compact Nautilus. For $39 from Dennis Kirk I thought was a good price. It is super loud and not huge. I mounted it on my top engine guard mounting bracket between the fender till I heard a knocking noise when I went over a bump, (wish I would have seen the post saying not too!) hit the front fender. Now I have it mounted it near the rear brake lower and still facing toward the front of the bike so it projects out.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Horn change is on my "to do" list. I've been thinking about going down to O'Reilly's and getting a pair of car horns. Anybody done this? Any suggestions?
Marine horns look good, they're small, and come in different colors (chrome, black, white).

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?PopularCat=No&Ne=2000000&beginIndex=0&langId=-1&storeId=11151&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&N=377+710+2010465&Ns=Most%20Popular|0&catalogId=10001&omniTag=Category%3aHorns&viewTaskName=SiteSearchView

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a warning to anyone thinking of putting a horn any larger than the factory one in the same location, IT WILL HIT YOUR FENDER! Had my 900LT since summer 08 and the ONLY damage on the bike so far is from my aftermarket horns. On the plus side, they sound like a "59" buick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Stebel... it's plenty loud enuf to get someone's attention, even if they have the windows rolled up, the a/c blasting and the radio on. It's saved our butts more than once when we've gotten to wake up a dazed cager who's about to change lanes over the top of us.

A previous post commented that it won't fit where the stock horn was... true. I had to mount mine on the frame in front of the shifter on a small piece of metal I bought at Home Depot and drilled a couple holes in it. Just be sure not to be sitting on the ground beside it when you decide to test it !!

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Maybe bike 1 is hooked up different than bike 2. But bike 2 is louder than bike 1. Like the power commander maybe? :D
LOL.

I tried adjusting mine with that screw on the back. It still sounds like it belongs on 50cc scooter. I was thinking about getting one of those ringy ding things kids put on their bicycle bars to complement it's cute sweet sound. That will really impress those HAWG riders.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My buddy's Dad used to have a bike bell ringer on his 78 GS550, it was funny n cute

1 - 18 of 18 Posts