Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 V2K Classic LT with 15k on her, love the bike, plan on keeping it so no issues there. I want to add another pony to the stable and after looking around at several makes and models have hit on the Honda Valkyrie as my favorite option. I looked at Goldwings, Nomads, Roadliners and Stratoliners. I really want to like Harleys, but am just unimpressed with them after trying several at bike shows. I know they are great bikes, just not for me and I do NOT want to start a hate column here. So, I like the look of the Valk, I like the motor and the seamless power it throws out there, I even love the sound. So, I am about 80% there on this decision. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? The one I am most enamored with is a 1997 with 39k on it. New tires, timing belts, plugs and oil change.

Look forward to your thoughts,
DC

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2006 V2K Classic LT with 15k on her, love the bike, plan on keeping it so no issues there. I want to add another pony to the stable and after looking around at several makes and models have hit on the Honda Valkyrie as my favorite option. I looked at Goldwings, Nomads, Roadliners and Stratoliners. I really want to like Harleys, but am just unimpressed with them after trying several at bike shows. I know they are great bikes, just not for me and I do NOT want to start a hate column here. So, I like the look of the Valk, I like the motor and the seamless power it throws out there, I even love the sound. So, I am about 80% there on this decision. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? The one I am most enamored with is a 1997 with 39k on it. New tires, timing belts, plugs and oil change.

Look forward to your thoughts,
DC
Nothing wrong with the Valkyrie. But if you're going to get another bike why not get something different than just another big cruiser? It just seems a bit redundant. Perhaps an RC51? :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
The valkyrie is different than most cruisers.It is an awesome ride and handles great.Sounds like a Porsche.Had one for 10 yrs.Only sold because it got to be just a little too big.Try it youll love it.Dont care for the looks of the new ones??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Dog,
I should have said that one of the bikes will end up at my cabin in Prescott Az. From there I can cruise out to see the sites in Sedona Az, the Grand Canyon and a lot of other scenic areas in north Az. Nearly always ride two up, and I am more of a cruiser guy than anything. The RC51 is a good one though.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
G,
Thank you for that opinion, was hoping to hear something positive like that. No, I do not care for the look of the new ones a whole lot, bit futuristic for this old dude, plus, the old Valks are a lot less strain on the checkbook. What are your thoughts on maintenance?

·
Registered
58 Posts
valkyrie

After ten years the only problem was one of the fork seals started to leak.No other problems.At 12000 had the six carbs checked and service guy said they were right on.Just had to keep gas in it and a few tires.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Check out the new Indians. If I was going to buy a brand new large cruiser today it would be a full loaded Indian Chief Touring bike. I rode one on a demo day near me and it was like riding in a Greyhound bus it was so smooth and comfortable.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When my first V2K bit the dust I seriously considered a Valkyrie. I like a bike that can be set up for touring, but look bad ass stripped down. The Valk, with that serious looking 6 cyl as its focal point sure fit that bill. I had it narrowed down to a Valkyrie at my local dealership or a V2K I found on the internet. They sold the Valk, so I took that as a sign and got my 2nd V2K.

The Honda runs so smooth, I have to think it will get high miles with minimal maintenance, especially since it comes from the GoldWing family.

I have nothing but nice things to say about the Valkyrie. Except that ugly ass Interstate model. And the ugly ass new one. Other than that...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Check out the new Indians. If I was going to buy a brand new large cruiser today it would be a full loaded Indian Chief Touring bike. I rode one on a demo day near me and it was like riding in a Greyhound bus it was so smooth and comfortable.
id,, rides like a greyhound bus!! I dont think so! I rode one them GHBs Xcountry Eugene to Detroit took 5 daze! well it was 40yrs ago, butt it was horrible..
now Iv only ridden my new Big Chief Injun 4x this year butt somehow managed to squeak a measley 12k smiles outa her. she dont ride Nuthin like that ol GHbus.

Attachments

·
Banned
179 Posts
id,, rides like a greyhound bus!! I dont think so! I rode one them GHBs Xcountry Eugene to Detroit took 5 daze! well it was 40yrs ago, butt it was horrible..
now Iv only ridden my new Big Chief Injun 4x this year butt somehow managed to squeak a measley 12k smiles outa her. she dont ride Nuthin like that ol GHbus.
Well then you better take yours back because you have just purchased one that is a LEMON that they sold you. The good ones ride beautiful and if yours does not, take it back to them and get a refund!:p

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Well then you better take yours back because you have just purchased one that is a LEMON that they sold you. The good ones ride beautiful and if yours does not, take it back to them and get a refund!:p
i wish i could get a refund on that bus ticket, butt time has expired. bus butt.
big chief injun rides like a dream, no mor bus butt here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I demo rode exactly your bike, colour and all. Incredible bike and unquestionably the best stock seat that's ever had the honour of supporting my posterior. If I could justify the budget I would own one in a heartbeat.
And no, it didn't remind me of a bus. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good thought ID, but this dude can't afford one of the new Chieftains, that is why I am looking at the older Valks, however, if you want to pitch in to support a brother.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, FWIW, our CMA chapter road capt has a Valk (believe it's a '99) with over 80k and it still runs great, tho' it's beginning to look a little tattered. He always rides with the Mrs and often pulls a good-sized trailer, has no troubles. As long as the carbs stay in sync, the Honda 6's seem to be 150k+ scooters. Tho' if you want something other than another heavyweight, maybe consider something like a KLR650....virtually bullet-proof, strong enuf for hiway 2up, great mileage & fully offroad capable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up the Valkyrie

Picked up a 1999 Valk Standard. Been working on it to get back to original, had been stripped down. Replaced the VERY loud Cobra 6 into 6 with OEM exhaust, found an OEM windshield and rear turn signals and have been on the bike for about a week. I really like most of the things about it, great motor, very quiet (now) plenty of power and GREAT handling. The only thing I do not care for is the riding position, or, more accurately, the foot position. I find it a bit cramped on the streets. Has highway pegs, so all good on the open road. In that respect, it MAY rival my 2006 LT, it hauls ass!

My wife prefers the V2K to ride on, says it is smoother, but new shocks are on the way. I also need to change seats, it has Ultimate seats on it now, and I find it very uncomfortable, I like my Mustang on the V2K much more.

Will update as the project moves forward.

D-Con

·
Registered
775 Posts
Valkyrie

I rode them for years.
A deer took one out & I have been using it as a parts bike to keep my '97 going.
The salt finally took that one out so I am valkyrie free !
192K on my old one.
The drive shaft system on honda's is what craps out.
Everything else is great.

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks JJ,
You have had some VERY nice bikes, how do you like the Stratoliner? I damn near got one of those instead of the Valk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would assume that, I think the Valk handles better than the V2K too. The Strat has a 1900 cc motor? Nice to know the Strat can put that many miles on. Think the V2K can go that far? I have had mine for two years and have 14k on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts