Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well it was only a matter of time b4 one of the big boys was gonna put 2 and 2 together and come up with 3..
Piaggio has been doing this for pushing a decade. www.TiltingMotorWorks.com makes retrofit front ends for hardleys and GWs..
now Honda has stepped up into the game with this new flat 4 on a Tripod stance with Lean Geometery..
This will put an end to the CanAm biz.. those who want to go to three, don't have to give up Flying ther Sleds to get stability.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Pretty neat!

With Can-Am year after year setting records for unreliability (I think this year consumer reports put their fail rate in the mid 40's?? That's INSANE), lawsuit after lawsuit and back-logged warranty repairs; I wonder when the market is going to start 'shifting' to alternatives like this.

Bet it'll come with Honda's silly automatic transmission too. They've tried that once before and failed but we'll see if it 'takes off' this time. Kudos for reading the market I suppose; motorcyling is growing with lots of new 'converts' but in a world where many have never even touched a clutch pedal in their life; there's apprehension about the manual transmission. So Honda provides an alternative. Though, IMHO, a better alternative is taking the MSF class to give you the skills to survive your new pursuit, realize how easy a manual transmission is AND how preferable it is to an automatic. MAYBE three wheels, maybe; but I could never ride a two-wheeled automatic motorcycle. I can't imagine how much low-speed maneuvering would suck. (BMW does have a 'semi-automatic' now. Clutch manual transmission but it has an actuator that can auto-shift for you once you get going.) But then I'm the guy who waiting three months for my car to come from the factory, special-order so I could get the manual transmission.

One thing that does concern me about these three wheelers is that it seems people don't take them seriously enough. I've seen plenty of Can-Am owners who claim they own it because it's "Safer", as if "falling off" is the risk we motorcyclists take. As most people on two wheels know, while low-side type accidents aren't uncommon, the greatest risk is an inattentive driver colliding with us or causing us to collide with them. Can-Am's don't have much of an advantage, other than perhaps a slightly bigger visual footprint and some improved braking (Two front wheels), and they are exposed to those same risks. People buying three wheelers because it's "like a motorcycle but not dangerous" scare me.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd put some super hi intensity white LEDs on the wide front fenders.. and probly some red/yellow on the back of those wide fenders.. all just to give a Bigger visual presence on the road, present a bigger visual threat to cagers front and back.. its not like they are really paying attention to details.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'd put some super hi intensity white LEDs on the wide front fenders.. and probly some red/yellow on the back of those wide fenders.. all just to give a Bigger visual presence on the road, present a bigger visual threat to cagers front and back.. its not like they are really paying attention to details.
Wouldn't be a bad idea. I think you and I share the belief that being as big, as wide, and as bright as possible is key here. Set off those warning bells inside the mind of that driver about to pull out or turn left.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
anything bigger than you is threatening. that is what motivates people to stop and take a real hard look b4 stepping out in front of you.. its not a guarantee, but it mite buy you a moment to slow down and move into plan B lane..

If you could somehow pull this off and look as big as a skool bus, bet youd get mor respect on the street.

im all for utilizing flare chaff as part of signaling..
and if that doesn't work, I want one of these lane, er car splitters to cut a path thru the middle of said errant vehicle.. jus saying would be nice to have tools

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That honda three wheeler looks like an sport model ATV, not for the classical minded....ride on....
wallygator, you is looking at the outside garnishment, watt it looks like. Xwing fighter.
I am looking at its bones under her skirt, watt it is, what it does. a Lean and Flyin machine. them pair of wheels up front lend stability for those that need more than just one. when you get to the point where you cant or shouldn't ride cuz yor not as young on the outside as you think you are on the inside.. a standard flat in the corners trike is boring.. ok, but boring.. this rigg will let you lean fly the corners but it wont tip over no more than 45 degress each way. it wont fall over or tip over. it makes riding a bit more secure for the high mileage legs..

this is just the first prototype. other mfgs have this product on the street 10yrs running. There will be other versions of this configuration to come down the pipe. Market will dictate style.. old skool vs new skool. look at this retrofit kit for hardleys; www.tiltingmotorworks.com for those that need some ww1 Earl Flynn styling while they fly.

·
Registered
415 Posts
OK Ponch, i'll give you that, good rebutle, but did you really write that response? or was it your better half? Thats pretty good english for a texan....ride on....wallygator/out for a ride......

·
Registered
415 Posts
The more i look at it, the funnier it seems, like something from a cartoon, the 'inner garnishment' might be 'cool', but i would feel like a fish out of water on that thing, when i am too old to ride a two wheeler i may have to hang it up, that just doesn't do anything for me......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts