Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely! While testing them out for the first time - got up to hwy speed and realized the shield on my full faced helmet was up. Amazing how much the wind noise is reduced. Funny - the downside now is hearing strange noises I've never heard before - like straps on my carry pack flapping, odd engine noise, etc. !!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Absolutely! While testing them out for the first time - got up to hwy speed and realized the shield on my full faced helmet was up. Amazing how much the wind noise is reduced. Funny - the downside now is hearing strange noises I've never heard before - like straps on my carry pack flapping, odd engine noise, etc. !!
I also made the home-made lowers, and had the same reaction.

What convinced me to try it was a long ride in 40 degree weather.
I was bundled up nice and warm and with the windshield the ride was comfortable. But I noticed a breeze coming UP my FF helmet. I used my left hand to trace the path of the wind and was surprised to find that it came from under the windshield.

So I made the lowers while visiting relatives (OK, my much more mechanically inclined brother-in-law did most of the work) and the ride home was so much nicer.

I had never ridden a bike with a windshield or lowers before, but now I would not want to ride without them.

Rod

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also made the home-made lowers, and had the same reaction.

What convinced me to try it was a long ride in 40 degree weather.
I was bundled up nice and warm and with the windshield the ride was comfortable. But I noticed a breeze coming UP my FF helmet. I used my left hand to trace the path of the wind and was surprised to find that it came from under the windshield.

So I made the lowers while visiting relatives (OK, my much more mechanically inclined brother-in-law did most of the work) and the ride home was so much nicer.

I had never ridden a bike with a windshield or lowers before, but now I would not want to ride without them.

Rod
Prior to making the lowers I would simulate the effects by placing my boots on top of the crash bar - it changed the airflow making a quieter ride. The actual lowers installed improved the results by another 50%.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Well you guys have sold me... This is my next project. Did you order the P straps from the same place (Marsh fastners), or did you find them locally? They look great by the way, excellent job! ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you guys have sold me... This is my next project. Did you order the P straps from the same place (Marsh fastners), or did you find them locally? They look great by the way, excellent job! ;)
Ordered the #40 - 2 1/2 inch cushion P straps from Marsh. They had a Bin label mix up and kept sending me 3 inch straps until I took a photo and sent it to them. Nice folks to work with -

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Ordered the #40 - 2 1/2 inch cushion P straps from Marsh. They had a Bin label mix up and kept sending me 3 inch straps until I took a photo and sent it to them. Nice folks to work with -
Thanks for the info. How wide did you make are the lowers? I ask as I have a lightbar and my turn signals are out wider than stock. So, I would like an idea as I start fabricating a template.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. How wide did you make are the lowers? I ask as I have a lightbar and my turn signals are out wider than stock. So, I would like an idea as I start fabricating a template.
I made mine 4 3/4 inch wide and 11 1/2 inches long. They just about touch the crash bars at max. turn.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I made mine 4 3/4 inch wide and 11 1/2 inches long. They just about touch the crash bars at max. turn.
Wow, I was using your pic and guessing about an hour ago making a template. Mine came out 4 3/4" by 11 1/4" :D Just checked clearance and it looks good against the crach bar. Ordered the P Clamps from Marsh (long way from Florida to Calif), but that will give me time to buff the edges smooth. Did you use #10 bolts? Thinking of using ny-lok nuts on the back side.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I was using your pic and guessing about an hour ago making a template. Mine came out 4 3/4" by 11 1/4" :D Just checked clearance and it looks good against the crach bar. Ordered the P Clamps from Marsh (long way from Florida to Calif), but that will give me time to buff the edges smooth. Did you use #10 bolts? Thinking of using ny-lok nuts on the back side.
#10 and ny-lok nuts - yes.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
#10 and ny-lok nuts - yes.
Thanks. Lowers are cut, polished and waiting for the P clamps. Followed yours and others and went to Lowes for the plexiglass. Found a cracked sheet thay had set aside, had them trim the cracked section out, then spilt the remaining piece in half. Great deal going that route.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Lowers finished & installed

Guys, Thanks for all the help and guidance. Finished installing my home-made lowers last night. I will say what a pain in the a$$ to install. I know I made some of my own issue (used 8MM bolts instead of #10's), but I had them and what to use them. Part of the issue was there length (3/4 inch) so it was hard to get the nut on the back side started. If I ever have to do this again I would opt for 1" length. But, I am really pleased with how the turned out. Will test them this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, Thanks for all the help and guidance. Finished installing my home-made lowers last night. I will say what a pain in the a$$ to install. I know I made some of my own issue (used 8MM bolts instead of #10's), but I had them and what to use them. Part of the issue was there length (3/4 inch) so it was hard to get the nut on the back side started. If I ever have to do this again I would opt for 1" length. But, I am really pleased with how the turned out. Will test them this weekend.
They look great! Yeah = you need small hands (fingers) to attach those nuts!
Anyway - I expect you are going to experience a different ride altogether with the lowers attached. Took the wife out today - first time she had the chance to ride with me since I did the install. From her passenger perspective she said the ride was so much smoother - it created a dead zone of air current around her. Let us know how your test ride went. Later

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
They look great! Yeah = you need small hands (fingers) to attach those nuts!
Anyway - I expect you are going to experience a different ride altogether with the lowers attached. Took the wife out today - first time she had the chance to ride with me since I did the install. From her passenger perspective she said the ride was so much smoother - it created a dead zone of air current around her. Let us know how your test ride went. Later
Thanks. Everybody gave me great advice and guidance. We're headed out this afternoon, and hoping for similar results. I did a short test 1.5 mile test ride and no head buffeting, but it was too short to really test in various winds. Will update later....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I made a set of my own a bit ago and they look great. Here's a tip I picked up. If you run the edge of the lower to a blowtorch, the plexi will melt and get rid of all tool marks. It actually gives it a very professional look. Practice on a scrap piece till you get it right. It only takes a few minutes to do but it looks amazing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions for homemade lowers on a 900 Custom. We have a different setup on our forks (no shock covers), so I was just wondering if there's a setup for us. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 68 Posts