Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the post the other day re: home made lowers for the Vulcan Classic. Unfortunately, the Custom (which I have) does not have shock covers, so there is nothing to attach a clamp to. I have a National Cycle Switchblade windshield. Any suggestions/directions/guidance about how to mount home made lowers would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
My input is once you have a lower designed and cut out, you'll have to mount it (using small P clamps). One above the lower triple tree, the second below the lower triple tree, but up high on the fork to avoid any interference. Just a thought.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been debating the same thing for my Custom. Here's what I've been thinking --Memphis Shades makes a mount for their lowers that's specific to the Custom (~$55 I think). From what I've gathered, they clamp to the forks just above the lower triple tree and turn signal clamp, and have an arm that extends down behind the turn signals and out to the side. I have yet to see a picture of these on a Custom...

MS sells these mounts separately from their own plastic "lowers". So, I thought, get the mounts and then cut my own lowers to fit the way I want. Won't be as cheap as bosco's suggestion, but then I wouldn't have to trouble-shoot the mount location. (Incidentally, I have an MS batwing, so I figure the mounts should all work together, but I haven't called MS yet to confirm this...)

Good luck, and if you figure something out, PLEASE post a picture of your solution!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've been debating the same thing for my Custom. Here's what I've been thinking --Memphis Shades makes a mount for their lowers that's specific to the Custom (~$75 I think). From what I've gathered, they clamp to the forks just above the lower triple tree and turn signal clamp, and have an arm that extends down behind the turn signals and out to the side. I have yet to see a picture of these on a Custom...

MS sells these mounts separately from their own plastic "lowers". So, I thought, get the mounts and then cut my own lowers to fit the way I want. Won't be as cheap as bosco's suggestion, but then I wouldn't have to trouble-shoot the mount location. (Incidentally, I have an MS batwing, so I figure the mounts should all work together, but I haven't called MS yet to confirm this...)

Good luck, and if you figure something out, PLEASE post a picture of your solution!
Aren't there lowers you can get for the batwing itself?

·
Registered
113 Posts
RBS2 -- the batwing has accessory "wind deflectors" that extend down to, and *just* behind the turnsignals. These are different in location than the "lowers" that would extend downward below the turnsignals. The wind deflectors provide additional protection, but for me at least, do not cut off the flow of air that curls under the fairing, and then swirls up under my arms, so to speak. There's still a good bit of turbulence as a result.

rick50 -- your solution is excellent, but with my batwing in place, the turnsignal mount can't be moved up at all. Perhaps it will work for crazyj though, with his National Cycle shield?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to give it a try the way rick50 did; I just ordered the 1 5/8 clamps. I am attaching some images of my front end in case anyone has any other ideas, and I will post if/when I get the lowers installed. Thanks to everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
the only suggestion I have is to make sure you space the top part of each lower so it doesn't throw the air behind the windshield. Mine is set up for the air to flow over the lower and across the front of the windshield not behind it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts