Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just built a custom led tachometer for my 500 and I love it, I work for a sign shop so I have access to a laser cnc and built the housing from acrylic and bought the led tach display from flea bay but they had it on aliexpress as well for about $13.the wife won't let me back in the garage to take a pic tonight but it'll post one tomorrow. I put some time into building it but materials cost me about $25 total. It seems much more accurate than the analog tach I replaced. Just got really excited and wanted to squeal about it to my fellow riders.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ran into little setback with it but finally got the pic of it. It's mounted in an acrylic housing I made and I attached it to the triple tree with command velcro straps just in case I change my mind about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just curious, what did you make your tach out of? Was the display already configured for use as a tach?

I have a spare eZ430 target board (MSP430 dev kit) and a HD44780 LCD display and I was thinking of making a tach out of those.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
DC Digital Speedometer Tachograph Tachometer Yellow LED Display | eBay
I found this little tach on ebay, it came in a few colors but I thought the yellow would look best for my color bike. I have to admit I had no idea what those parts you mentioned were or how to use them Pardner lol. I'm not great with electrical components but this was a simple 3 wire set up and I just had to swap it out for my analog tach that i had on the bike already.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only have two issues with it and both are not that big of a deal.

1: In the daytime its kind of hard to see. I can fix this by making a new housing for it that has the display recessed into the housing. Kind of like having it in a shadow box, so to speak

2: From what I can tell its really accurate. This just takes getting used to. The analog tach I had I would get a "rough reading"
as in, "ok, I'm running about 3500 rpms", this one will display for example 3458 rpms, so I just have to re-train my brain to not look at the last two digits.

Its great to see the extra accuracy but for the most part i just wanted to add a smaller tach than I already had and wanted it to be a digital display. I also added a little led voltage display under the right side cover so I can always see where the battery is at a glance. New Mini DC 2 Wire LED Display 3 Digital Voltage Voltmeter Panel Meter Motor Car | eBay

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow, hard to make a homemade tach when you can buy one from China for $7USD! So the little tach reads the correct RPM? The reason I ask it because I think the EN500 fires on both the compression stroke and the exhaust stroke... therefore most tach will read double the RPM.

Still cannot decide if I like the digital tach or not, so used to having a simple needle ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been reading right about the same as the analog tach did. I have always had the bike idle right around 1200 rpm when warmed up and at idle that's what the little led tach shows.
I agree with you that I do prefer the simple needle but I really could not find one small enough.
Something shaped like a half moon would have been ideal but having this big honking tach dial on the handlebars just looked goofy. this is almost identical to what I had on my bike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts