Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... i saw on the web (maybe here) how someone made a round back plate out of aluminum and then used a round k&n filter... but can't find it anymore?!!

i have the aluminum plate, just need to make the necessary holes/cuts... other than that i was going to pick up the $20 filter+chrome cap kit at AutoZone and then get the matching round k&n to replace the cheap filter in the kit...

if anyone remembers where the thread is or has any tips feel free to chime in!

thanks!

oh, and this is on the VN900 Custom...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its either called the Caddman air intake, or they Coyote kit, either one you want to do. Here is the caddman.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jagered,
Is this the mod you were looking for? If so, let me know and I will add pictures of the final product, since you will have to install the air temp sensor and the crankcase vent hose. I plugged the fresh air line to the exhaust with a 1/2 in. dowel rod, and I am using a paper air filter from Napa rather than a K&N filter.
http://s754.photobucket.com/home/grwgramps/index

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
gary / dale ... yes to both! i have seen both of them and those are where i got the idea to try and do my own...

gary - no k&n? and did the cover come with that knob? i also didn't notice a port for the O2 sensor, resistor it out?

dale - i can get those filters from the local pep boys, just wondering how far it will stick out because i already hit the stock cover?!?!

i have seen the breather moved farther back so it doesn't drip on the chrome cover for the engine. might be worth the $40 or so to try it out... not hurting anything and i will still have the stock to put back on!

thanks for the links!

EDIT: The second little breather... is that for the crankcase breather or is it for the return to the exhaust for emissions?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did it today... think i chose a filter too small in diameter though?!?! i got a 6 3/8" filter kit with chrome cover at pep boys for $20. then the breather for $11.99 (stainless steel one instead of the mesh, only $2 more) ... also got a nut for $5 and a cheap connector for the breather. All in all not too bad... i suck at machine work but thank god the plate is under all the good stuff!!! the O2 sensor gave me problems and then i had to burry a couple of the bolts in the plate under the filter?!?!

ordered a $35 k&n for it... a 1.75" hi one instead of the 2.5" one it came with... looks way to big right now. i wish i could machine a groove in the plate for the filter to sit in... gotta look around for a machine shop?!?!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like your doing ok, jagerd! I used a 1/4" thick aluminum plate and countersunk all of the mounting screws to assure a good seal for the back of the filter against the adapter plate. Like you, I paid an extra 5.99 for the spinner instead of using a wing nut. The paper filter I am using is appoximately 6 1/4 diameter by 3" tall. Yes, it sticks out slightly more than the 0EM, but it doesn't bother me. I did install the air temp sensor, I just did not get around to taking more pictures to post. Speaking of pics, get some posted when you get a chance, would love to see what you've come up with.
Just one warning about the higher air flow! I have noticed a tendency to twist the wrist more since I can hear the intake drawing air right next to my right knee!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
here are a few shots... like i said i messed up the plate a bit but since it is hidden no harm! :) i see your screw hole is in the middle between the two ports, i should have done the same because mine is below the throttle body and it made little room for the bolts and O2 sensor on top... might make a new one later when the k&n comes in...

the only other problem is trying to get my EFI Tuner dialed in...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i like the sound of the "air suction" when revving at higher speeds... but not sure it has helped much until i get the EFI Tuner dialed in... still getting some popping. think my second backplate is going to have a connection for the exhaust return...

·
Registered
92 Posts
jagered, I really like the looks, of course that might not be considered an unbiased opinion!
I did marble the fresh air line with a 1/2 in dowel rod. I didn't notice what you have for exhaust, so I'm not sure about tuning. I have the OEM exhaust with 1 and 2 stage debaffle and have added no FI controller. My bike runs good with no controller. I have pulled my plugs a couple of times since I have done these mods and they do not indicate a lean mixture.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wonder how that would go on a V2K. Bloody nice job by the way. It just goes to show you do not need to spend big dollars on mods. The K.I.S.S. priciple works very well. So how does it go in heavy rain? I would think the paper filter would degrade !!!

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rain... i am made of sugar so i stay out of that stuff! :)

seriously though, i never go out in the rain and have only been caught in a quick shower a couple times... panty hose wrapped around it would be a quick fix... i am getting a thinner K&N filter that will be oil soaked so i believe the little bit of rain that i may experience should not be a problem.

road hard yesterday... gotta fill up today or tomorrow or when ever the rain stops so will see on the mileage... i need to do some riding NOT at 85MPH though to really see how it does?!?!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I warned you about that "twisted wrist" syndrome!!! lol Just noticed the chrome trim on the bottom edge of you gas tank! Nice look! Like minds, maybe!?!
I would think this intake could be engineered for any of our Vulcans with both intakes on the same side. I especially like the fact that this build cost a total of under $50.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
54MPG

how's that???

even with the heavy twisting of the throttle!!! 208 miles and i put 3.837 gals in... not too shabby?!?! :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Man, I gotta say it...that is one SWEET ride!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks... i like it! :) still not done dropping money into it though, sad to say... my first bike was a 900 Classic ... but it got totaled.

i want to get a larger cc cruiser and keep the custom as my project bike... already got the future mods in mind: 1) rear chromed pulley 2) 200 rear tire 3) 6DEG raked triple tree 4) 3" lowering kit 5) modify or get new rear fender (to wrap the tire better) 6) polished front wheel

not in any specific order... and probably going to be over a couple years seeing how some are not that cheap?!?!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE - K&N Installed

gotta love a thinner filter... and now a K&N! woot woot!

COMPARED TO THIS

1 - 20 of 48 Posts