Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back home in NE Oregon after 3200 miles in 7 days touring central and western Colorado. A beautiful state, to be sure.

9LT ran flawlessly the whole way, including up to the top of Mt. Evans, which is over 14,000 feet.

We left Walla Walla WA east on US 12 over Lolo Pass, south and through Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Jackson Hole, then through the Flaming Gorge in Wyoming/Utah into Vernal Utah.

We entered Colorado through Dinosaur following US 40 through Steamboat Springs and Kremmling to the junction with I-70 at Dillon, then east to Mt. Evans.

We backtracked on I-70 to Frisco and headed south through Leadville to Poncha Springs, then west to Gunnison and Montrose. At Montrose we turned south to Ouray, Silverton and Durango, then west to Cortez with a stop at Mesa Verde, then north through Dove Creek, Naturita and Grand Junction, then back to Dinosaur.

From Dinosaur we headed west back through Vernal to Salt Lake City on US 40/I-80, then north on I-15, and northwest on I-84 home.

Longest day was yesterday, with an iron-butt ride of 630 miles from Heber City UT east of SLC, home to Milton-Freewater OR.

Here's a pic of Ron and me on Mt. Evans. I'm the short round one.

The 9LT now has just shy of 22K totally trouble-free miles, 19K of them with me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Between the bicycles and pickups, darned hazardous.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey there, thanks for sharing, i was up in Denver and Durango earlier this year, surely a beautiful state with many great roads.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm jealous!
I spend six weeks in Colorado two years ago on a business trip and been wanting to ride upthere with the crew but not everyone takes interest so as soon as I get a couple to join I will head that way too. Very beautifull state. My goal is to ride the million dollar highway.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The million dollar highway was stunning, and both Ouray and Silverton are beautiful little towns, though touristy.

Lots of this, though--

If you get up that way, be sure to ride the San Miguel river canyon on Colorado Rte 141. Like riding in the bottom of a mini-Grand Canyon.

Here's a pic from the top--

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip. In fact, it's similar to one we did back in '05, except we didn't do Mt. Evans. Loved all the curves and great mountain roads, as well as the fantastic scenery. Glad the bike worked out well. My wife loves her LT, too. Thanx for sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts