Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Okay, how is that going to work? Sorry, never worked on Drum Brakes, only Disks :grin2:
There's more than one tool for drum brakes. There's Drum Brake Spring Pliers, that grab one end of the spring and the other end rests against the lug the spring is initially looped over. Then you can squeeze the handles to extend the spring and loop the other end over the opposite lug. They are pretty robust and won't break. Some of those drum springs are pretty taught! One end is essentially a hook and the other a rest/foot. You can get them at any autoparts stores and some places you can get them as a loaner. See the included thumbnails.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If that won't work I don't know what will.
I've used vice grips when a spring puller wasn't robust enough.

Another trick I've seen was to bend the spring and insert coins into each "slot" to expand the distance between hooks. Put it in place, then kick the stand and all the coins should drop.

I found a video of a guy doing the coin trick for the removal of a spring, same basic concept just in reverse and you need to bend the spring to create gaps for each coin since the spring is at rest before installation:

Also, it goes without saying, make sure you protect your eyes when you're messing around with springs. And your ass, in case you get another cheap puller tool that catapults you again.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Interesting. So if nothing else I can use that hook and then just pull. Well, I don't know since there is no real handle to grab onto. This spring is a tough one. Double Coil and very stubborn. And also a lot longer than those drum brake springs. I don't think the pliers type would be able to get it spread out far enough. So while in theory it might be a new idea in this case it won't work. I'll just wait until Sunday for the Motion Pro Tool to arrive.

This is the tool that bent on me: Stockton Spring Puller by Cycle gear. You can see the problem with the much weaker front end.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/STOCKTON-TOOL-COMPANY-Spring-Puller/dp/B00CHU5O0W/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?keywords=stockton+spring+puller&qid=1553280029&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
904 Posts
Interesting. So if nothing else I can use that hook and then just pull. Well, I don't know since there is no real handle to grab onto. This spring is a tough one. Double Coil and very stubborn. And also a lot longer than those drum brake springs. I don't think the pliers type would be able to get it spread out far enough. So while in theory it might be a new idea in this case it won't work. I'll just wait until Sunday for the Motion Pro Tool to arrive. https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0127-Heavy-Spring/dp/B000RG5UMA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvadid=153619228293&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1017244&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14309667614941499764&hvtargid=aud-676677759524:kwd-13329113865&keywords=motion+pro+spring+puller&qid=1553279919&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&tag=googhydr-20&psc=1&smid=AUNMX34AEN231

This is the tool that bent on me: Stockton Spring Puller by Cycle gear. You can see the problem with the much weaker front end.

https://www.amazon.com/STOCKTON-TOOL-COMPANY-Spring-Puller/dp/B00CHU5O0W/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?keywords=stockton+spring+puller&qid=1553280029&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1
That thing will only put you on your ass.
I looked at the pics of the centerstand and it should work. hook the spring around the bottom lug and put the plier foot on the top lug. Hook the spring onto the plier hook and squeeze pliers together to pull the spring up over the top lug. I've used those on more than drum brakes. Go to your autozone or whatever and get them as a loaner. The pliers are bigger and longer than you think.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've used vice grips when a spring puller wasn't robust enough.

Another trick I've seen was to bend the spring and insert coins into each "slot" to expand the distance between hooks. Put it in place, then kick the stand and all the coins should drop.

I found a video of a guy doing the coin trick for the removal of a spring, same basic concept just in reverse and you need to bend the spring to create gaps for each coin since the spring is at rest before installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaBZC67iM4

Also, it goes without saying, make sure you protect your eyes when you're messing around with springs. And your ass, in case you get another cheap puller tool that catapults you again.
That's a smart trick.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I will go to Autozone and see if the Drum Brake Pliers will do the trick. I have heard about the Pennies trick and I may try to expend it a bit but that spring in the video is not even close to the tension of this monster and those double coils are super tight. I don't think I can even get a dime in there. Even if I can get some coins in there it will never push the spring far enough apart to reach the other peg. But every little bit helps. Thanks Guys! I will report back with my new injuries :grin2:

Yes, I will wear some Shooting safety glasses. Just in case. Thanks! :wink2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for all the tips. I will go to Autozone and see if the Drum Brake Pliers will do the trick. I have heard about the Pennies trick and I may try to expend it a bit but that spring in the video is not even close to the tension of this monster and those double coils are super tight. I don't think I can even get a dime in there. Even if I can get some coins in there it will never push the spring far enough apart to reach the other peg. But every little bit helps. Thanks Guys! I will report back with my new injuries :grin2:

Yes, I will wear some Shooting safety glasses. Just in case. Thanks! :wink2:
I've done the "Penny Method" with my HD side stand springs - it works. Long nose vise grips help, along with a stout hook (brake spring pliers are good). I put one of the hooked ends of my spring onto a vise and bent and pulled the spring to install the pennies, then installed it onto the stand hooks. Most fell out, others I pulled out easily (thick little spring - lots of change!).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got it on using shoestrings from my Harley boots and a long Phillips head screwdriver. :grin2: Penny method didn't work since it was a Coil within a Coil (side by side Coil Spring) and it is next to impossible to put in dimes or Penny's in between the duel coils.
Great! Field Expediency is always impressive👍

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
There's more than one tool for drum brakes. There's Drum Brake Spring Pliers, that grab one end of the spring and the other end rests against the lug the spring is initially looped over. Then you can squeeze the handles to extend the spring and loop the other end over the opposite lug. They are pretty robust and won't break. Some of those drum springs are pretty taught! One end is essentially a hook and the other a rest/foot. You can get them at any autoparts stores and some places you can get them as a loaner. See the included thumbnails.

That’s what I was referring to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I got it on using shoestrings from my Harley boots and a long Phillips head screwdriver. :grin2: Penny method didn't work since it was a Coil within a Coil (side by side Coil Spring) and it is next to impossible to put in dimes or Penny's in between the duel coils.
MacGuyver strikes again...well done sir!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Chris,

Ran across this on Craigslist today. There is an original Kawasaki 900 in Rootbeer brown with orange stripes. Old style your'e looking for. I've been in the dealers looking too, the Brown one is very nice but the retro look of the Lime Cafe really grabs me.

https://www.proxibid.com/O-Brien-Auctioneers-LLC/ABSOLUTE-AUCTION-OF-180-MOTORCYCLES/event-catalog/159806?p=2&sort=0#cnTb
Very cool...feel free to send me your credit card #, I promise not to share it :devil2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well the stars aligned again! Somewhat. My local dealer finally got a couple of 2019 Z900 ABS’s in stock, but not a “Pearl Flat Stardust White/ Metallic Spark Black” coloured one. So they said they could have one brought in from another dealer, in a week. So I put a small deposit on it, to make sure it was happening. So I should have it by the end of March.
I’m going to wait until April to list the KVS for sale.
I think I’m all done here on this forum and I think we’ve just about covered most things since the first model year of 2015. (I’m seeing a lot of recurrence of past thread inquiries). So I’m signing off. I’m going to probably head over to the Z900 World Forum, when I get my machine. My first few mods will be; rad guard, rear tail relocation bracket and (maybe) BoosterPlug. I’m going to see how it rides first.
Thanks to all on the KVS650 forums! Have a great and safe summer!!!!
No need for a Booster plug, Z900 runs a bit rich from the factory (so throttle response is very smooth). Fender eliminator is a must, really cleans up the back of the bike. Also word of caution, the stock Dunlop tires it comes with are crap for spirited riding, they slip at the slightest hint of moisture. So once you get past the break-in period and want to crank it up and enjoy all those horses may want to put some better shoes on her (or be prepared for some pucker moments!). :smile2:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well the stars aligned again! Somewhat. My local dealer finally got a couple of 2019 Z900 ABS’s in stock, but not a “Pearl Flat Stardust White/ Metallic Spark Black” coloured one. So they said they could have one brought in from another dealer, in a week. So I put a small deposit on it, to make sure it was happening. So I should have it by the end of March.
I’m going to wait until April to list the KVS for sale.
I think I’m all done here on this forum and I think we’ve just about covered most things since the first model year of 2015. (I’m seeing a lot of recurrence of past thread inquiries). So I’m signing off. I’m going to probably head over to the Z900 World Forum, when I get my machine. My first few mods will be; rad guard, rear tail relocation bracket and (maybe) BoosterPlug. I’m going to see how it rides first.
Thanks to all on the KVS650 forums! Have a great and safe summer!!!!
No need for a Booster plug, Z900 runs a bit rich from the factory (so throttle response is very smooth). Fender eliminator is a must, really cleans up the back of the bike. Also word of caution, the stock Dunlop tires it comes with are crap for spirited riding, they slip at the slightest hint of moisture. So once you get past the break-in period and want to crank it up and enjoy all those horses may want to put some better shoes on her (or be prepared for some pucker moments!). /forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Thanks for the tips! I won’t bother with the booster plug. I also forgot this bike has the.Slipper/Assist clutch. That engine is buttery smooth! Power is wicked when you bring it on!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Akrapovic slip-on is scheduled to arrive on Monday for my RS. If I can get a decent price on Craigslist or Ebay I'll unload it though as the bike already sounds and performs great. And frankly I like the look of the stainless stock exhaust better anyway.

It's will be nice to get the $ back which will please the wife.

Happy wife = happy life ... words of wisdom to live by!!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Cool, that means mine is probably about 2 weeks behind yours. I may still give it a try just to see if there is a difference in sound. After that I will probably do the same and put it on the forums where people can eat it up.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Got out on my first extended ride today...4+ hours on Easter Sunday. It was a grey day but all in all the weather was fine, the roads were near empty and we didn't see a single officer of the law the entire ride.

Considering it was over 4 hours with only a gas & bathroom break along the way the body and butt held up pretty well. Best of all I topped 1k miles near the end of the ride completing the break-in period and allowing me to unleash the beast a few times. The power is smooth and just keeps coming. I was going ~90 before I could blink. I'm already looking forward to the next ride and hitting as many empty roads as I can find.

And at the same time my son is loving the hand-me-down KVS. It's quite an upgrade from his 2011 Honda Rebel starter bike!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey guys for those of you who traded one for the other - just curious, how'd your insurance change from the Vulcan S to the Z900?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Hey guys for those of you who traded one for the other - just curious, how'd your insurance change from the Vulcan S to the Z900?
I think that depends where you live and your driving record etc. My rate actually went down by 1 dollar a month. Don't ask me why. Full coverage with $250 dollar deductible for $26 dollars a month. I know that others pay up to 800 a year for full coverage. Mine is 312 a year.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts