Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is also the CAFE RS seat which is 20mm higher than the standard RS seat. That's why the CAFE version has a 20mm higher seat height. And yes the seats can be switched without issue. I actually like the Cafe style Seat better. I also like the fairing on the CAFE. I just hate that dull Green paint Scheme. If they just had the Grey or the Blue like the rest of the world gets. But I guess we aren't that lucky here in the US.

Did some more searching and found a 2018 Black in Florida for $7988 and a Two Tone RS in Ohio for 9600 and change. Also the Dealerships here reduced the price of the 2019 two tone as well as the 2019 CAFE to 10,499. I can take my pick. (RS MSRP is 11,199 and the Cafe MSRP 11,699) Plus I have my 500 Dollar Kawi Kash. So it would make the price before taxes and fees 9,999 That is already a tempting proposition. I am planning to put 3k down and finance the rest for their advertised 3.95%. That should make the payment less than 150 bucks.
Buy the florida bike, keep it in my garage until its3warm enough to ride home.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Buy the florida bike, keep it in my garage until its3warm enough to ride home.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That is a great idea but those people in Kissimmee are adding all sorts of fees to that initially cheap bike and it just doesn't even include doc, title or Sales Taxes. Suddenly that low price is about 1300 Dollars higher then advertised. Hmm, I don't think so.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Took delivery today...80 miles and mostly under 40 degrees so my feet were cold when I got home but it was a great ride. I'm looking forward to getting out on the new bike and transitioning the boy child onto the VKS once we start getting some better weather!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Root beer...I am most pleased indeed!!

The dealer even installed a battery tender cable free of charge...was not expecting that but apparently it's standard at this dealer which is pretty sweet in my book.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Took delivery today...80 miles and mostly under 40 degrees so my feet were cold when I got home but it was a great ride. I'm looking forward to getting out on the new bike and transitioning the boy child onto the VKS once we start getting some better weather!!
C'mon man, you can't get off with an 80 mile ride report that easy!

Give us some meat. Give us some details. Take us along with you on that ride!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
C'mon man, you can't get off with an 80 mile ride report that easy!

Give us some meat. Give us some details. Take us along with you on that ride!
Alrighty...

Less than a mile from the dealer I saw some lovely red and blue flashing lights coming up from behind me. Holy crap, I'm getting pulled over already? But as I slowed and pulled over the officer switched off his lights and pulled into the mini-mall I had just passed. The key take away here being that, unlike the KVS, I had a clear view of everything behind me with the stock mirrors.

I rode the whole time with traction control in position 2 (max) as between the questionable road conditions, my complete lack of familiarity with the roads, this being my first time on the bike and the 4K rev limit I saw no reason to do otherwise. I tell you this as I can't yet comment as to how it rides on setting 1 or with KTRC switched off but can tell you that it was smooth as silk in position 2. Maybe because I'm accustomed to the "snatchy" throttle of the KVS I really didn't notice any issues with the throttle and the transmission shifts as smoooooth as butter.

The seat is an absolute blessing...everything the KVS seat is not. Comfortable and I can scoot around on it with ease. Absolutely no need to buy an aftermarket seat on this bike. Sorry Corbin but...suck it!

It was about 39 degrees when I left the dealer and was supposed to get into the low 40's but apparently Mother Nature didn't read the forecast and the temp dropped a few degrees along the way. I thought it was cool when the info display flashed "ICE" when the temp hit 37. Not that I plan on doing much cold weather riding but I liked that it did that.

As for the roads, there was a coating of road salt nearly everywhere and some snow melt in spots from the small Wednesday snow storm...pickup was on Saturday. And given that I was on the back roads there was some road sand too which gave rise to some jitters along the way. I was never really in any danger as it had mostly been pushed to middle of the road and shoulder but a couple of patches caught me by surprise along the way and given the road conditions I let a few following cars pass so I was free to manage the road as I saw fit.

Once on more familiar roads and clear of debris I was able to zip through some quick gear changes and the bike really moves. But again, the 4K limit held me back from anything more than a few short bursts and I never really opened it up. Oh yeah, brand new tires on salty and damp roads...that too kept from pushing it.

Again I was limited by the 4K cap but the bike has a sweet sound even with the limit. And the torque down low is great. There were times when I was puttering through a small town in 5th or 6th gear at in-town speeds and the bike was fine and had plenty of available power when needed or desired. It's going to be easy to roll through town at safe / legal speeds and also ride like a bat out of hell when I want.

Along the way I entered a town that actually had a No Engine Braking ordinance posted at the edge of town. I've never seen that before but I saw no cops so it was never an issue.

The dealer had installed the wiring for my heated jacket and gloves so between the heated gear and three layers on my lower body topped by my ski pants I stayed pretty warm except for my feet. 80 miles in the high 30's gets pretty damned cold on the toes and I was ready to get off by the time I got home...actually a while before I reached home but I'm a motorcycle rider and we're a tough lot, right? When I arrived home my wife happened to be in the driveway so I gave a few vroom-vroom's as I pulled up. She enjoyed it or at least pretended to which is all we can ask, right?

It's in the garage now and on the battery tender just waiting for some riding weather to come along but the forecast doesn't show promise right now. Fingers are crossed it comes sooner than expected!

Here ends my story and likely my longest post to date.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Pushed it over 150 miles today as we got a brief window of "good" weather before it started snowing again. Had to give it a rinse again earlier to get the little bit of salt off but other than having to deal with the cleanup it was a good day and I'm enjoying the new ride more and more. Looking forward to some more favorable weather and getting my son on the KVS. Should be an outstanding Summer!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It was Minus 16 Windchill this morning and it did warm up to about 9 plus which is still too freakin' cold for this time of year. It's March not January. Oh well. I did find a 2018 Red/Black Z900RS in Ohio for a great price. They just lowered it for March and with my 500 Kawi Kash it would be 8400. I even got a Trailer hitch installed on my car so I am all set except for the wifey. I still have to convince her that this is going to save me money in the long run. Since the 2018's will be gone and the 2019's are 11,199. Oh well, wish me luck ;-)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good luck!

Don't forget the free exhaust they're giving you. If you tell the wife you're gonna sell it and can clear $700 on the sale that's $1,200 in free $ that you're walking away from if you don't deal now. "The purchase is going to happen later in the year...we don't want to look back and have wasted $1,200."

It's part of how I got my permission and while I haven't cranked up the bike yet I can tell already that it sounds great and has all the power I'll ever need...I don't need the slip-on exhaust and will happily sell it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Well, my stars aligned as well. The BOSS just gave me Approval for the purchase of the 2018 Rootbeer Brown/Orange Z900RS. Going to pick her up in Canton, Ohio on Saturday. Got a Trailer hitch put on the car and reserved a U-Haul 5X9 Utility trailer close to the dealership. For some reason they won't let their Motorcycle trailers go one way but I think the 5x9 should work fine. Just need to strap her down nice and tight and hope that it doesn't snow all day. Weather has been crazy cold. In 176 years it hasn't been this cold in March. Below Zero and highs only in the low teens. But it should warm up for Saturday and be in the upper 40's but with heavy rain and Thunderstorms. I will take a cover to protect my new baby. If it were closer I would ride her home but 5 1/2 hours in crappy weather isn't my idea of a fun ride.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Tom, whatever you do, don’t use a cover on the bike when you trailer it home. You do and you’ll hate yourself as the cover will scratch and mar your paint something fierce. Your bike will be fine with no cover. It’s just wind and rain. Wash the bike when you get it home and it will be fine. NEVER put a cover on a bike when it’s on an open trailer. Sadness is sure to follow.

And congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Tom, whatever you do, don’t use a cover on the bike when you trailer it home. You do and you’ll hate yourself as the cover will scratch and mar your paint something fierce. Your bike will be fine with no cover. It’s just wind and rain. Wash the bike when you get it home and it will be fine. NEVER put a cover on a bike when it’s on an open trailer. Sadness is sure to follow.

And congrats on the new bike!
Thanks Jet. I didn't even think that the cover could scratch the bike. Thanks for the tip. I guess it will be okay being out on the elements for a few hours.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts