Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've spent countless hours trying to figure out the best sissy bar to go with my Saddleman Explorer.

I'm completely at a loss for which size to order. I'm looking on ebay, seen some that say 18", 24" etc and am still lost lol.

I found an oem sissy bar but the thing is I'm not sure if it will be pratical with my Saddleman seeing as the Explorer is thicker in the back. I've attached a picture of the sissy bar.

I will want to use a sissy bag at some point so I'm thinking if it's too short it will be pointless for travelling. Which is my main reason for purchase. However, I'm not a huge fan of the tall sissy bar's either. Also, I was hoping for black but have come to the conclusion I will just need to powdercoat or something.

I'm really hoping someone has pictures or advice they can share. I'm about ready to call it quits

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
The sissy bar in the picture looks fine. If not, check out Cobra on eBay or Amazon. They have several sizes that would work for decent prices. Good luck...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a saddle man explorer seat on my 9 and i use a Cobra short sissy bar, it's cobras middle of the road height.
I bought it brand new on eBay for about $200 shipped.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't have a 900 but it is its larger overgrown sister bike the V2K Classic. This is the Tall Cobra (Rounded) Sissy bar on it.

You can see thick the seat is on it and how much space there is between the seat and the bottom of the pad. When I purchased the bike that was one of the things the dealer threw in as part of the deal. They originally ordered the Shorter version of the same thing (middle height of all the cobra sissy bars they sale for it. They sale a mini one too.) On the shorter one the pad actually touched the seat of the bike and was a real kidney beater for the wife. That is why we had them return the shorter one and get the tall one.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Here is a few more shots:

And this is with the cobra sissy bar rack.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks SW. The pics definitely helped.

Looks like I'll need to go with the standard rather than short. The whole purpose is so that I can strap luggage to it and use it as a backrest for a trip next summer. Maybe the odd two up jaunt around town, I'll be taking it off when I ride solo which is 90% of the time anyways.

Not crazy about the height, but figure I have to go with practicality over looks at this point. Would hate to get a bar and be worrying about my bag flying off at some point lol...now for the bag shopping :)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The fender supports are the same for the 900 and V2K but I do not know what is different between the cobra bars for the 9 and the v2k. They have different part numbers. I ASSUME the difference is in the mounting brackets, not the spacing of the bolts but the height of the area the bar mounts too. Like I said I "ASSUME".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well wouldn't ya just know it. I emailed Cobra directly to see if I can get some measurements etc. Send a pic of the stock seat and the explorer seat. The rep said he didn't think I could use Cobra because of the width of the seat, basically said the sissy bar would dent in the sides of the seat.

So, after all that I think I'm just going to go with a cheap knock off from ebay, found a detachable for $223, probably isn't the greatest quality, then again i do want to powder coat it black to match my SE.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sounds like the Saddlemen must be pretty wide then. I used the same sissy bar that you looked into with a Mustang Wide touring seat and it worked well and the Mustang is fairly wide (cant remember exact dimensions though).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From the pics i sent the seat seems to be as wide as the fender rails and tapers down. The guy at Cobra said that since the brackets fit between the fender and rail that it would interfere some. I thought it strange too, especially since so many of ya have the Cobra bars.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Here's a cobra sissy bar and rack on a VN900 classic. That's a mustang seat too, 12 inches wide. The sissy bar brackets go on the outside of the rails.

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Hey Violet,
I have a suggestion for you. Since you say you only want the bar to support your luggage on long trips, why don't you look into luggage that doesn't need a bar for support? I have one of the larger Saddleman bags that I used to plop on top of the seat on my 1500. It straps securely to the foot pegs and other points on my bike. I now have a solo seat and strap the bag to the luggage rack. It came with plenty of good quality straps which once I figured out what I need I took to the local shoe repair and had them modify to work on my bike. Cost me $10 to have the straps modified. It straps in place so securely that I can use it as a rider backrest when it's on the bike.
Just a thought if you are having trouble finding a sissy bar to serve the purpose. I bet one of your local dealers has a bag in stock you could test fit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Brian, I guess I was under the impression that I needed a sissy bar to make sure my tent and bags don't go flying off...but I guess if it's strapped enough it won't move lol. I was looking at Motofizz or maybe twisted throttle. I don't have saddlebags either, was hoping to be able to stuff everything in a seat bag and use it as a backrest like you mentioned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts