Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove a rock through the drive belt on my LT today. :mad: It made quite a racket until I pried it out. I have less then 2000 miles on the bike. Had the same thing happen to me years ago on my Kawa 454, never did replace that belt with no adverse affect. The hole is about 1/4 inch. Question is, should I replace the belt or just watch it awhile?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I didn't realize the 454 was belt. I figured it was shaft. Cuz when they came out with the Vulcan 750 they basically used the 454.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I still had the 454. My wife wants her own bike. It would have been perfect for her. But back to the belt issue. I'm kinda nervous about crusing down the highway with a hole in the belt. Any one else had to face this issue?

·
Registered
156 Posts
they say if the hole is more in the center of the belt, run it.
I cant say this from experience, but guys have run their belts with holes in them.
I would also check for pulley damage too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys.(sarcasm):rolleyes: Slpr61 is correct. Kawasaki sevice manual suggests that you remove the rock and continue to use the belt. As long as the tear is not on the edge of the belt. I almost forked out $349.00 for a new one, but the mechanic at the dealer was honest enough to show me the manual. I'd rather use the money for some highway bars or a comfortable seat.:D By the way, none of the dealers in the Salt Lake valley carry new belts and they claim you cannot get a aftermarket one, so if you break a belt your not going anywhere in a hurry!

·
Registered
246 Posts
And that sir is why i own 3 bikes. I dont drive a car at all so if my 900 custom is down for whatever reason at least i have other bikes to ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts