Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok In short:

How is this helmet for a upright cruising helmet? How well does the ventilation work? Is it more suitable for a sports bike or will this helmet function good enough out here in Arizona?

===========================================

I have a big melon or oval head and a pronounced forehead. Looking for helmets is like a rat in a maze. Not may places around us have a selection I can try on in the 2XL and 3XL range. So in my hunting, I found some XL sized bell solid full face that fit real snug but good. And a Shoei Quest and some other Shoei ??-1100. And then A lady showed me a Modular that was like a down pillow. It fet real well, I cant recall real well, but im sure she and I tested it out when I had it on and I really liked it. But this HJC CL-MAX II had the smallest ventilation I have seen out of all other helmets. And living in AZ And thinking I had no choices. I am planning on a white or silver CLmax2. But before I spend the cash will she do me good or should I keep looking?

Not many places offer helmets that fit my 64+ cm size 8+ XXL or XXXL melon.

A Part of me is thinking I should look for a place that has is in a 2XL vs this shops 3XL. Just because of the sizing chart from HJC says id be a 2XL not a 3XL

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone had or used them?

G

·
0 Posts
My wife and I do. I use the HJC half helmet and no ventilation. She uses the full face with ventilation. We live in Gila Bend, AZ and I ride during the summer to the Litchfield area quite often. There's a big difference in air flow between the two. During those wretched two months when AZ has those days when it's 105 to 118 degrees and the lows are still on the 90's I wish I had the ventilation in my mine. The dew rag definitely has it's work cut out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
check out the helmet center off the 303 and happy valley or the helmet center off of 35th and union hills they have a good assortment of helmets..
I have the HJC IS-17 and it fits me well but then again i have a 57 cm head lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already Ben to both of there places. I will support them when I make my purchas

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is the Ventilation on this CL-max2 helmet?
It looks like it just has 2 teardrop like import and export vents

·
Registered
4 Posts
CL-Max 2 my buddy actually told me about this helmet he has one and I was looking for a decent priced modular helmet for riding so if I didn't want/need to I could just lift the front up. Came in really handy for my advanced safety class I took. Plus I wear glasses so it is much nicer to put them on and not just through the face shield hole. I am not a fan of the vent on the front it doesn't seem to do much. The ones on the top of my head I can feel sometimes the air coming in them. First helmet I bought the tinted shield for so I don't have to switch glasses just shields (glasses again).

I find it very comfortable but seems like I can't see my speedo and other items on top of the tank without actually tilting my head down. I am running the Sena bluetooth headset/intercom on mine works really nice for that as well. Overall I would buy another one of these helmets in a heart beat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CL-Max 2 my buddy actually told me about this helmet he has one and I was looking for a decent priced modular helmet for riding so if I didn't want/need to I could just lift the front up. Came in really handy for my advanced safety class I took. Plus I wear glasses so it is much nicer to put them on and not just through the face shield hole. I am not a fan of the vent on the front it doesn't seem to do much. The ones on the top of my head I can feel sometimes the air coming in them. First helmet I bought the tinted shield for so I don't have to switch glasses just shields (glasses again).

I find it very comfortable but seems like I can't see my speedo and other items on top of the tank without actually tilting my head down. I am running the Sena bluetooth headset/intercom on mine works really nice for that as well. Overall I would buy another one of these helmets in a heart beat.
How is she on hot days?

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Has anyone had or used them?
I have a couple of the HJC CL2's and they are very light. My wife and I have gone through a few helmets and these have worked the best. We both have neck issues so the lighter the better. Ventilation is good too. We'd prefer the modular helmets, but they are much heavier.

UPDATE: I guess i should update that we have only used these a few times. And when we did it was mainly due to cold weather. Haven't had them on since it warmed up. So ventilation may not be adequate enough for Arizona.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How is she on hot days?

I am in Wisconsin right on Lake Michigan we don't get hot days....LOL I myself think that it could use some better venting for warm days the two vents on the top to me don't seem to pull much air in even while riding, that I leave the lower part of the shield cracked open a little just to get the airflow in the helmet. Today it is approximatley 80 out and 70-75% humidity, just had some storms roll through. Probably go out for a quick ride before work and see how it fairs out there in current conditions.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am in Wisconsin right on Lake Michigan we don't get hot days....LOL I myself think that it could use some better venting for warm days the two vents on the top to me don't seem to pull much air in even while riding, that I leave the lower part of the shield cracked open a little just to get the airflow in the helmet. Today it is approximatley 80 out and 70-75% humidity, just had some storms roll through. Probably go out for a quick ride before work and see how it fairs out there in current conditions.
In the next 2 days I guess I will be looking at the HJC CLmax2 or the Gmax GM54s. Because I know my ol man cries about a hone hour ride with his black 3/4 helmet in the summer. I may stick with silver in one of them 2 brands. Till I have the cash for another higher priced helmet. Today aint that bad at 110* but im sure with low ventilation in a black bowl(helmet). That would not be fun.

THanks everyone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts