Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 215/60r16 Goodyear Assurance triple tread for the rear of my 08 VN2000 Classic LT. I still have lots of tread on my stock tire, so I have time to make changes if needed. I bought a trailer to pull and now I am going to need a hitch. I have looked at all the possibilities for hitches and found one that mounts outside the fender, but in the pics I saw it looks awful nasty. I would rather have a hitch that mounts inside the fender. The question is...if I install this tire, will there be enough room for the tire and the hitch inside the fender? If not, what size tire will work? I really don't want the painted hitch on the outside of the fender. If it was chrome I wouldn't mind so much.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Im running 205/60/16 with a Hitch Doctor under the fender. I have 1.5" of clearance from the center of the tire to the jack bolt (keeps hitch from rattling when installed in receiver), and have 3/4" of clearance from the side of the receiver frame to the edge of the tire.

Only part of the the hitch frame you see is the chrome side frames, on the edge of each side of the fender, receiver is hidden under the fender

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Should fit with the hitch doctor hitch, here's another view. You could install a set screw instead of the jack bolt and that would increase clearance as well

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks for your input. I think I will keep the tire I bought and go that route. Funding for a hitch is a little low right now but definately on my to do list. I was intending to buy the hitch first, but I noticed this trailer for sale and I couldn't pass it up for the price.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Knowing the clearance I have now with the hitch, I'm may go with slightly taller tire next time. Right now with the euro gears and the 205/60/16 my speedo is only showing 3mph faster then actual, way better...

Don't blame ya for snaggin the trailor, hard to come by at a decent price. Unless ya make your own, ones of any size are expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts