Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to rant about how immature and irresponsible some people are. My wife and Daughter was leaving the house today when some one in a older model Caddy barley side swipes the rear of my wife's car. Nothing major, Just repainting the bumper.(we just got it repainted about 2 months ago because of a little oops from the wife) But the thing is they keep going did not even stop to apologize or anything. It was on a narrow road barley big enough for 2 cars to pass slowly. Nothing worth getting the law or insurance companies involved. Even if we turned in the law they would have not ruled fault and you are still stuck where you was to begin with. But come on, it's the principal of the matter. You do something wrong at least accept responsibility. If they would have said they were sorry and admitted they were wrong. I would have said not to worry about it. What is wrong with people. Sorry had to get it out there.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The world is full of these types of people. I once had an older gentleman back into my car because he decided he wanted to pull into the left turn lane. Though I did not sustain too much damage to my car, his only comment was "Have you ever made a mistake in your life?" and he drove off. Yes I have made mistakes, but I have also paid for them. I still filed a complaint against him but never heard anything back from the police. Still sucks though.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made similar mistakes myself. I once back in to the front of early '90s Mercury Cougar with my 4x4 Silverado. I knocked the grille out with my hitch. I offered to have him take to a shop and fix. I offered to buy the parts and fix it for him. And apologized like crazy because I felt bad for damaging the man's car. For me some one saying that they are sorry and try to make it right goes a long way with me.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It amazes me how un-accountable, un-courteous, and all-about-me people can really be.

My wife and I were out on the Vulcan when a guy in a box truck came flying out behind a tree (coming out of a driveway), turned right, and swung wide way into my lane. Managed to get the bike onto the white line (no shoulder) but he side-swiped me anyway. Spun the bike around (kept it up though), but it damaged my left saddlebag (ripped off a strap, bent the little bar that goes around the rim, etc.) I look up to see him frantically looking over his shoulder and hearing that old diesel motor roar to life as he gunned it.

Best part, the idiot parked the truck not two miles down the road. No, I didn't go looking for him. We're adults not school kids. He made an adult decision, so we handled it like real adults. The MO State Police found him. Before I even had a chance to call them myself, a witness had already called 911 and reported a frantically moving truck that almost hit HER, then before she was off the phone she rolled up on my stopped motorcycle.

If that guy had stopped, it could have all been settled right there. Instead, not only did he still pay for my saddlebag, but he was charged with hit and run along with a host of other more minor charges (improper lane usage, failure to signal, failure to yield, etc.) I imagine the legal costs, tickets and fines exceed the price of my saddlebag several times (In MO, hit and run alone can well exceed thousands of dollars and even include jail time, depending on the amount of damage caused and whether or not there were injuries). He certainly didn't come ahead in this one.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
We have several intersection here in town with 5 lanes, 2 each way plus turning lane, and it is comon practice for people to take 3 lanes turning right. Turning left, they take all 5! How the hell do some of these people get a licence? Saw a guy a few months ago turn right, cutting off a fire truck, with lights and siren going, and just missed guy in the 4th lane over!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I see this kind of ridiculous driving everyday at work some people just have no common sense. What makes me mad is when my wife and little one are in the car with me then I get pretty mad. Driving home from harbour freight today we almost got hit because some moron in another car decided to text and drive luckily nothing happened but still its the principle have the decency not to endanger everyone else on the road it can wait.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I consider anyone driving a car to be wielding a deadly weapon. Crap like you guys are describing...i'll have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....and as much more as I can have tracked on for assault.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
several years ago my wife and I had bought a brand new car. It wasn't anything special, just a little Chevy Cobalt, but it was the first brand new car either of us had owned (and will be the last, the cost of a brand new car versus its resale value will keep us from making that decision again). We hadn't had the car a month when, after my wife had driven it to work, a pair of teenage girls in an old ford pickup parked across from it. They left the pickup in neutral with no parking brake, and it rolled very slowly backward across the parking lot. the drop bar hit our plastic back bumper causing minor damage to the paint. Not really a big deal in and of itself, and I wouldn't have cared at all save for what I learned from the police report:

The girls did not have valid driver's licenses (and by valid, I mean "any)
They were not the owners of the pickup.
The pickup was not insured.

the Sheriff's department in Jerome County, Idaho decided this was not worth citing anyone for some horsesh*t reason that I can't remember. Something about not being able to prove the girls had been operating the vehicle on public roads or something (even tho the girls had copped to it already). Sounds to me like Barney Fife just didn't want to do the paperwork.

As for self-centered drivers, however, you don't know suffering until you've driven in the Salt Lake City area. I will LITERALLY not take the bikes into the area for fear of my life. I've braved rush hour in Boise, Idaho Falls, Portland, and never felt the pressure like I felt driving the I-15 in either direction at 1:30 in the afternoon. Case in point, wife and I were trying to get across West Valley City a couple weeks ago to see Iron Maiden, and I see our turn coming up. I put on my turn signal and start to merge into the turning lane as a I make a head check of my blind spots (habit from the bike). And driving up the BICYCLE LANE is a red-and-black riced out 2nd-gen Mitsubishi Eclipse. I stop abruptly and honk because the R-tard almost hit ME. for my trouble, I get flipped off. Twice. Of course, the second time I was going ten miles an hour screaming profanity out the window (I was rather wound at this point, and one of my prescription meds is a steroid that uh...makes me rather hostile). There were aspersions cast about the young man's parentage, sexual orientation, and driving ability, which in retrospect I feel was remarkably inappropriate. Not my usual response, but the SLC area brings out the worst in me.

On a side note, had it escalated, I probably woulda got the crap kicked out of me. I get tired awful fast these. The irony of the steroid is that it's an anti-nausea treatment for chemotherapy. The chemo has been chipping away and my physical strength and endurance for the last 15 weeks. lmao I'm way more willing to start sh*t with someone, but way more likely the get my a$$ kicked :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts