Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing a whistle on the highway from my Voyager. It almost sounds like a loose belt but the dealer says the belt tension is in within spec which to me is tight as I'm also getting a slight moan at low speeds as well.

Anyone else have a whistle at around 60 mph?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Well to start with... your belt comes from the factory too tight regardless of what your dealer or Kawai says. A tight belt will howl at speed and moan at low speed. One of the first tings we do when we get a 1700 is loosen the belt. I am not saying that is what it is.... but it is that a lot of times. The other thing that will cause a squeal is misaligned drive belt as the belt rubs on the edgs of the rear pulley. The front pulley has no edges. It is just very wide.

A loose belt does not howl or make a lot of noise like a tight one.

When I bought my 1700 in Las Vegas, my oldest daughter was one of the service managers in the largest Kawai/Yama/Honda/ Polaris dealers in Nevada.

She told me that was the number one complaint from new customers Other than the heat issue, which they would recommend wrapping the pipes, and would do it for you at a reduced labor rate. And reccomended using engine ice. It was 125 degrees the day I bought my 1700. But I have wrapped pipes and used engine ice already for years. I did that the first week I had it.

She told me before I bought it to loosen the belt when I got it home. As a dealer, they can only tell you what the specs call for and can only adjust it at those specs, and can only tell you it can be adjusted to those specs.

But I already knew two 1700 Voyager owners and we had done all that already to those scoots.

Anyway, when I got home took it to our local independent HD shop owned by a good friend of mine, just to let him see what the factory belt tension was on these things. He could not believe how tight it was.

If you know of an independent shop or a friend that owns a HD or other scoot with a drive belt let them look at it and tell you what they think. I say that because some people refuse to get a second opinion in here when it comes to the drive belt tension because they think that Kawasaki is the final word on anything. Like those that say you cannot use a car tire on the rear of a motorcycle.

(that ought to get them going:))

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mine is the belt, I can make it worse, but I can't make it go away completely (maybe it's still too tight). You may need to loosen the belt some, but will have to do it yourself as the dealer won't do it under spec (which, you are correct, is too tight).

Bubba beat me to it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Double dark, and won't be going back to the light either. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Before I adjusted my belt; it would make sounds like an out of tune stringed instrument; in town.
But I don't remember (or couldn't hear) it making sounds at highway speed.

I did have a front tire on for while that would sound like a whistle after it warmed up.

My belt noise sounded like it engulfed the bike. I couldn't really give a direction of where it was coming from.
My front tire noise seemed like it was coming from the tank when sitting up, and sounded like it come from the triple tree when I leaned forward.

Scott

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm noticing a whistle on the highway from my Voyager. It almost sounds like a loose belt but the dealer says the belt tension is in within spec which to me is tight as I'm also getting a slight moan at low speeds as well.

Anyone else have a whistle at around 60 mph?
If loosening the belt doesn't do it, you may need louder pipes :D I remember worrying about every little noise my 1500 used to make (and it made some weird noises) until I put a louder set of pipes on it. I rode it for another 6 years and never had a lick of trouble. My point is that with the full fairing, stock exhaust, full face helmet that some have, these things can all trap the noise the motor makes in the zone where you're sitting. My 1700 engine makes some strange noise at 70 mph and up but there are a lot of parts moving at a rapid speed......I just ride it

·
Registered
580 Posts
.......forgot to mention gear whine :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'll get the belt adjusted. I'll have to try and get the rear wheel off the ground somehow as I don't have a motorcycle jack. Any suggestions on how to do that are welcome.

The tires are original with 6700 miles on them so they could possibly be making weird noises as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You don't have to lift it to adjust the belt.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
My belt noise sounded like it engulfed the bike. I couldn't really give a direction of where it was coming from.
Scott.... that's a very good description......

·
Registered
580 Posts
You don't have to lift it to adjust the belt.
But it definitely makes it easier to get the back wheel clear of the ground, make your adjustment, then put it in gear to check your alignment.....just saves doing it more than once :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I would like to see someone doing a stoppie with a Voyager. Not saying it can't be done of course, but I would like to see it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Before I adjusted my belt; it would make sounds like an out of tune stringed instrument; in town.
But I don't remember (or couldn't hear) it making sounds at highway speed.

I did have a front tire on for while that would sound like a whistle after it warmed up.

My front tire noise seemed like it was coming from the tank when sitting up, and sounded like it come from the triple tree when I leaned forward.

Scott
It must have sounded a little bit like a bad country & western band rumbling down the road? :D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
It must have sounded a little bit like a bad country & western band rumbling down the road? :D
And the tune was kept with the Kawasaki tick.:eek:

Thank goodness they didn't make noise at the same time. :D

Scott

·
Registered
481 Posts
They put the belt on while the bike is cool and set it to an ungodly tension. Then you get going down the road at 70mph, the pulleys and belt heat up and it gets even tighter. Not good! You'd whistle too if your belt was that tight!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Not to mention...

index.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you say to loosen the belt, how do you know when you have it enough vs too much? Is it measurable using the gauges by the axle? Or possibly by measuring the deflection of the belt?

Thanks greatly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts