Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or does it feel like im always pushin my bike on the highway at 70-90 mph I know everyone says the high rpms are normal for this bike I just hope its not killin it Any coments would be appreciated Thanx

·
Registered
79 Posts
With the scootworks front pulley 70-75 feels just fine on my 900. I'm 6'4" and 295lbs so this bike is working to get there but it isn't that bad at all. 80+ starts to get a little annoying but 70-75 is just fine for me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In my case with the sw front pulley and a 200 on the rear i was able to cruise smoothly up to 70mph true speed. After I added the rear sw pulley and still keeping the front and the 200 I can now smoothly ride upt to 80mph true speed and when i say smooth i mean i can see the vehicles clearly on my aftermarket rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
273 Posts
high revs

For me with the 09' Classic and the front SW pulley 65 is my easy cruising speed. No way can I stay at 70 with low RPM's. Once I get the 200 back tire I think 70 will be fine. I don't do alot of slab riding so I will wait till my back tire wears out after this season and 6k miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On my classic I ride 2up at 75 without thinking twice about it. Feels better at highway speeds than my 1100 Shadow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cruise 55

I have the front pulley which it needs for 55. It cruises up to 70 just fine but I would rather just stick to the old highways and slow down.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
As I read the posts from guys complaining about the rpms I always wonder what they were riding before their 9s. Any time I'm not watching the speedo I settle out at 70mph. I never feel like I'm pushing it 'til I hit 90. This engine spins faster at 70 than a 1300 or 1700 would but that's to be expected. I'd love to know how many of you used to ride bikes with 6 gears and continually shot for 7th (I know I have).

·
Registered
75 Posts
thanks for the replies I do have a 200 rear and it did help Yhink ill get the sw rear pulley
I'm running a Metz 200 with the S/W rear pulley and am extremely pleased with the results. Shift points are spread out wider, and I really didn't notice any low end acceleration loss. Bike just "feels" so much better at all speeds and is really smooth @ 70-8- MPH.RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Without the pulley change (or maybe the taller tire?) the engine does wind up a bit pre-70mph. I don't believe that hurts anything though, it's just a bit annoying to us that want lower RPMs.

I installed the S.W. front pulley on mine and it hums along quite nicely at 70 now. However, at around 75+, it does start behaving like it did prior to the pulley.. more engine noise, vibration, etc. I very rarely do more than 70 though, so i'm quite content with the way it is now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I came from sport bikes so when im doin 75 i reach for 6th gear everytime.
Agreed. I came from a ninja 650r which seemed to like cruising at 80mph and was smooth at that speed.
They really should have come out with a 6spd trans, it would have helped this bike tons! But even with that said, i haven't found any other bikes i like for less than $14k, so i think over all they did a good job on this little 900.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
wouldnt matter if this bike had 20 speeds....people would be looking for 21st

·
Registered
112 Posts
wouldnt matter if this bike had 20 speeds....people would be looking for 21st
Yup.

I came from a CBR600F, and before that a ZZ-R600, so I do look for sixth a lot. But the revs on the 900 don't bother me, and I don't agree that they got the gearing wrong on this bike, as I've heard people say. I just think it was a compromise between low down grunt and midrange rip, both of which it has, and the top end lost out :).

If the stock 900 makes peak torque from 3,500rpm to 3,700rpm, that's about 63-66mph in fifth gear. That might be spinning quickly by V2K or Rocket III standards but it's just lolloping along compared to sportbikes. My CBR didn't make peak torque till 10,500rpm (!), which I rarely reached in anything above second gear. In sixth at 65mph I'd be at about 6,000rpm on the CBR.

Peak hp on the 900 is around 5,700rpm or 100mph in fifth and the rev limit I think is 7,200. Peak hp on my CBR was at 12,000 and the redline was 14,000.

I suppose the point (if any) of this rambling is that perception of engine speed is relative. What I've found helpful is giving the bike a thrashing once in a while, winding out all the gears and getting a feel for the power throughout the range (this applies to any bike really). Once you've wound it out to 90mph in fourth, 70 in fifth doesn't seem so busy. I realise I'm probably 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' here, but the 900 is so easy to short shift that it's not hard to forget how it feels when you give the throttle a proper twist. I think it smooths out the engine too.

These discussions always make me think of my first two years in motorcycling, rattling along on my Honda Rebel with that unburstable little engine buzzing like a couple of chainsaws. Happy days ... these are better though :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
sw pulleys

I run the front and rear pulleys from SW and find 100kph is quite comfortable for my VN900 custom. Do the pulleys effect the speedo accuracy? I got a fine in the post for doing 68 in a 60 zone $312! I`m an ozzy so we do kilometers per hour. I guess 100=65mph.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I run the front and rear pulleys from SW and find 100kph is quite comfortable for my VN900 custom. Do the pulleys effect the speedo accuracy? I got a fine in the post for doing 68 in a 60 zone $312! I`m an ozzy so we do kilometers per hour. I guess 100=65mph.
Having both pulleys on will make the speedometer read slightly low. A stock 900's speedometer will read about 9.5% faster than you are actually moving, e.g., at an indicated 70 you are actually doing about 63 MPH.
The combination of the two pulleys will reduce the engine RPM in cruise by about 12% over stock, and since the speedometer only senses the speed of the shaft that drives the front pulley, the speedometer will now read about 3% low. So now if you are indicating 70 MPH, your actual speed will be just over 72 MPH.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My KZ 550 LTD runs 5500 rpm at 65 mph; I look for 7th on that bike all the time, yet even at 7000 rpm, that old bike still feels engine smooth. On my V9D, she likes to run 65 to 70 (with the 170 rear); at 80, a slight engine vibration trickles in; at 90+, she vibrates enough that images in the stock mirrors are difficult to see. Yet 2up, 105 F ambient, 90+ mph through the Nevada desert, she just kept on humming along. No problems, no hiccups, no warning lights, no instability, no acting like she was straining or unhappy at that prolong elevated rpm. Throwing in some passes (7700 and 7400 ft) didn't faze her in the least.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts